274B choices?

JSA

Dec 20, 2020
Quite many of new production rectifiers are also pretty decent.
My recent discovery is EML 5U4GM - truly magical. For me no. 1 in my Pacific at the moment.
My previous attempts with NOS rectis were not too promising. But in all fairness I haven’t tried any of the uber expensive NOS tubes. My number 2 is still ACME 274B.

rspyder

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2021
Hi Carlsbad. Just catching up on my WBF threads. So glad you’ve been enjoying the Ken-Rad CKR 5U4G in the conductor seat of your Lampi. I’ve got so many wonderful insights from the WBF community I’m glad to pay it forward. All the best of the New Year,
Ray

Reactions: Carlsbad

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Hi my WBFellows! ...

I can't try, nor can I afford, all the 274B and other rectifier tubes that have been reviewed by this group - but I have tried the KR5U4G (that came with my Horizon), Takatsuki 274B, Sophia Electric Aqua 274B (not Aqua II), Ken Rad CKR5U4G 1943 NAVY, Tele RGN2004 smooth plate, Tele RGN2004 silver mesh (circa 1932) and, finally the Tele RGN2004 black mesh (circa 1930). All the older fella's are NOS and some NIB. All, except the KR and Takatsuki, were compared with the Mullard ECC32 in the "converter" seats and SFR P.17C in the "power" seats of my Horizon because they are my preferred dual triodes and pentodes. The pics below show some of the other pentodes I've tried and loved.

The top 3 Horizon rectifier tubes to my ears and for my system, in ascending order, are the silver mesh RGN2004, Ken Rad CKR5U4G and, at the top of the heap - the black mesh Telefunken Klangfilm RGN2004. All are really good because they share the same characteristics and attributes: well built, reliable, play well with others, and help the dual triodes and pentodes in the Horizon reproduce music in a very real, analog-like and holographic manner with wonderful tone, proper pace and stunning transients. The oldest Klangfilm, distinguished by black mesh plates and bespoke production techniques (note the serial no. is embedded in the glass stem) betters the other two in realism, articulate bass, tempo and ethereal holography. In short, this 93 year old has the skills and energy of Leopold Stokowski conducting the Philadelphia Orchestra in Disney's Fantasia.

@rspyder I PM'd, but since no reply, I'll try here. What differences do you hear between the black mesh and silver mesh? Any difference in tone (neutral/warm)? I'm familiar with the silver.

rspyder

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2021
Hi Gene. Sorry for my tardy reply. I've been in Edmonton moving my brother into a extended care home.

The difference between the Tele RGN2004 "black" mesh compared to the "silver" mesh version is the former is a bit "warmer" (e.g. fuller/more musically dense w/a tad more inner tonal detail). Both are excellent, but in my system and to my ear the black mesh version adds a bit more of everything the silver does as a rectifier tube in my Horizon.

I was able recently to acquire a Telefunken NOS/NIB black mesh RGN2004 P8A. I'll send more pics when I unwrap it and insert it in the adapter. A real unicorn!

Regards,

Ray

Attachments

• IMG_1491.jpg
    IMG_1491.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1492.jpg
    IMG_1492.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Carlsbad

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing