RADA Precious One Phono

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I received my Precious One Silver phono a few days ago and my expectation has been far surpassed. I do not have much experience with high-end gear or different setups to help the members triangulate what I am hearing but I never imagined my vinyl setup could sound this good. It is the first time where I truly felt it far exceeded my digital rig journey (past Wavedream Signature, currently Abbas dac 2.3). Analog to me has been a just a different medium to play music albeit more musical one, not necessarily “better” or meaningful to differentiate. Not with Precious One. It is the first time where I heard small notes, harmonics that I never heard before, individual notes had subtle crescendos and decays and not just a flat beep that truly gave me joy. Dynamics was tight and snappy and powerful with ample bass. Every note had it’s own clear 3D space. Overall sound is clean and effortless. Somewhat similar to when I first heard silver AVC but magnified in experience. Great soundstaging, not blown out with ample front-back depth. Mine came installed with (RT) e182cc tube so I imagine I am already hearing the best it could offer based on previous posts. I have several Amperex Holland e182cc that was recommended to me that I will eventually try but I like what I am hearing now.

A quick comparison from memory, Allnic 1201 sounded very gooey with nice bass. Precious One silver is easily 10 leagues above that. Also had cheaper phono preamp not much to speak of for comparison. I guess I jumped right to the high-end. Sound is every way better than the Soundsmith SG-200 system I had before both in resolution and musicality.

System wise, I am using a modest vintage cart, Signet Tk7su and STST Motus II with in-house tonearm (purchased via Solypsa, a highly recommended experience). I cant imagine what it would sound with better cartridge and am highly curious about RADA silver SUTs for my future path. This phono preamp will be a permanent keeper in my system (along with emia silver avc). RADA products should be on serious consideration for everyone here.
Did you ever run your Straingauge with a linear power supply to replace the stock wall warts? That, plus a move to ruby cantilever stylus, transformed my Straingauge performance.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing