RADA Precious One Phono

I received my Precious One Silver phono a few days ago and my expectation has been far surpassed. I do not have much experience with high-end gear or different setups to help the members triangulate what I am hearing but I never imagined my vinyl setup could sound this good. It is the first time where I truly felt it far exceeded my digital rig journey (past Wavedream Signature, currently Abbas dac 2.3). Analog to me has been a just a different medium to play music albeit more musical one, not necessarily “better” or meaningful to differentiate. Not with Precious One. It is the first time where I heard small notes, harmonics that I never heard before, individual notes had subtle crescendos and decays and not just a flat beep that truly gave me joy. Dynamics was tight and snappy and powerful with ample bass. Every note had it’s own clear 3D space. Overall sound is clean and effortless. Somewhat similar to when I first heard silver AVC but magnified in experience. Great soundstaging, not blown out with ample front-back depth. Mine came installed with (RT) e182cc tube so I imagine I am already hearing the best it could offer based on previous posts. I have several Amperex Holland e182cc that was recommended to me that I will eventually try but I like what I am hearing now.

A quick comparison from memory, Allnic 1201 sounded very gooey with nice bass. Precious One silver is easily 10 leagues above that. Also had cheaper phono preamp not much to speak of for comparison. I guess I jumped right to the high-end. Sound is every way better than the Soundsmith SG-200 system I had before both in resolution and musicality.

System wise, I am using a modest vintage cart, Signet Tk7su and STST Motus II with in-house tonearm (purchased via Solypsa, a highly recommended experience). I cant imagine what it would sound with better cartridge and am highly curious about RADA silver SUTs for my future path. This phono preamp will be a permanent keeper in my system (along with emia silver avc). RADA products should be on serious consideration for everyone here.
Did you ever run your Straingauge with a linear power supply to replace the stock wall warts? That, plus a move to ruby cantilever stylus, transformed my Straingauge performance.

A few weeks ago I received the Precious One phono preamp from Dalius Razanas of Rada. This is the “silver version with a maximum upgraded power supply for 120 V. All tubes NOS: 6X4 as a rectifier; 2X 6AU6WA (GE or TungSol) as input tubes and…very rare French 5687 as output tube” to quote the maker of the unit. Dalius also suggested that I could try a E182CC as the output tube.

My front end consists of a highly modified PD 444 turntable, and I am using the DaVA FC cartridge mounted to the AS Aquilar tonearm. I am also using the DaVA SUT and the DaVA tube power supply.

Initially I used the Precious One silver version with the French 5687, as that is what I had Dalius send me. I immediately found the Precious One uncannily musical in how it revealed instrumental timbres and textures, particularly on strings and wind instruments, an impression that built the more I listened. I also had a sense of more being revealed with the Precious One—more musical information, like the tiny sound of the triangle in the Argerich/Abbado recording of the Liszt Piano Concerto on DG—what Liszt apparently called a “mocking little motif.” Or another example would be the intricate rhythmic call-and-response between Art Blakey and Reggie Workman on “Sortie” from the album Indestructible that I could now hear really clearly.

Dynamics and transients were really impressive, probably the best I had heard to date, both macro and micro. Take for example how Miles softens his tone, plays away from the mic or goes right back to it, as he and Cannonball Adderley go back and forth on “Something Else” from Something Else. Or how Adderley soars and leaps in his indelible entrance on “One for Daddy-O.”

However, the fundamental sound, as rendered by the AS Phonolab I had been previously using, was not changed. As I heard it with the French 5687, the Rada Precious One was not an “insert and WHAM” kind of component. The differences between my AS Phonolab were on the subtle side, until I listened intently, and then they seemed major differences, and the longer I listened the more entranced I was.

I had already ordered an Amperex NOS E182CC to try in place of the French 5687 when I emailed Audiophile Bill what I was hearing, as it was his purchase of the Rada Precious One that had spurred my purchase. He told me—just wait until you hear the Precious One with the E182CC.

My God was he right. This tube supercharged everything with a shot of Dutch adrenaline that magnified and revitalized all aspects of the sound, particularly the rhythm and drive. Now it WAS an “insert and WHAM” kind of component.

With this tube installed, whatever I was listening to—Mozart’s 26th piano concerto (Barenboim on EMI) or Elgar’s Cello Concerto (Du Pre on EMI—total coincidence that I listened to these records on the same day), or The Clash’s London Calling, or Kate and Anna McGarrigle’s first album, or Supersax Plays Bird (original Mofi) or the recent UHQR of Are You Experienced? I couldn’t stop drumming my fingers, moving in my chair. Interplay between band and soloist—whatever the music—was really great. And larger band, complex music (jazz or classical) was a cakewalk for the Precious One to play back—witness Ellington’s Afro-Bossa album. I could listen to the music as an organic whole or pick out individual parts, just as when listening to live music.

I kept playing music too loud it sounded so damn good (but no ringing in my ears!). Whatever traces of hardness that had lingered with the AS Phonolab when Miles or Lee Morgan would hit their highest notes vanished. Bass lines I had never really heard clearly, I could now follow. Everything sounded like the musicians on these records had had extra rehearsal time now.

So, all in all, I am glad I took Bill’s advice twice—first when I took the hint to buy the unit before it went out of production, and second to not pass judgment on the sound until I had heard it with the E182CC installed. Like him, I think my phono preamp quest has come to an end.

PS I should call attention to one very unique (very odd?) part of my system—the power source. Due to that source, I have a very, very low noise system, which I believe contributes mightily to my overall system sound.

I run the entire system on 12V LifePo4 200Ah batteries and a 5000W inverter. This is a cruder, simpler version of what Stromtank does in their devices, except that I also add a Puritan Audio Lab power filter device. My entire system is plugged into the Puritan (save for a digital lps), and the Puritan is plugged into the inverter. There is absolutely no compression, constraint or limit that I can hear—and I have tested this repeatedly.

I use a battery charger rated for the LifePo4 batteries when the system is off. I can play at 600-700w avg levels for several hours before needing to recharge. The batteries can be charged from zero to full overnight.

If there is any interest I can post more on my battery system, which is relatively cheap and very easy to set up. The sonic difference between my 12V LifePo4 battery set-up and what I heard with everything plugged into dedicated AC lines was GREATER than any component change I have ever heard, including the Rada Precious One.
Can you please share the exact model of French 5687 as well as E182CC you used? Also, are you still happy with your battery+inverter combo?

Can you please share the exact model of French 5687 as well as E182CC you used? Also, are you still happy with your battery+inverter combo?
The NOS Amperex E182CC is readily available from a variety of sources. The French 5687 is a Mazda tube with five stars printed on the tube. While rare and hard to find, though not terribly expensive, this 5687 sometimes shows up called or named something else You might ask Rada directly for advice on this tube.

Reactions: adamaley
The NOS Amperex E182CC is readily available from a variety of sources. The French 5687 is a Mazda tube with five stars printed on the tube. While rare and hard to find, though not terribly expensive, this 5687 sometimes shows up called or named something else You might ask Rada directly for advice on this tube.
5687WA THOMSON CSF

Reactions: mtemur

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu