a few 2014 Newport Show pics

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I wonder how many show sound opinions come from those who sat off axis ? I can't imagine everyone getting a chance at the sweet spot in popular rooms.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I wonder how many show sound opinions come from those who sat off axis ? I can't imagine everyone getting a chance at the sweet spot in popular rooms.

Only if you hung in that room for awhile. And if you finally get the sweet spot seat and a well-known reviewer walks into the room, you will be asked to move.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Very interesting since Alon usually doesn't show with tubes. In fact, that's the first time I remember.

I was very happy to hear VAC show well this year. I believe it was last year or the year prior to that, when VAC had shown with Scaena, which had me perplexed.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Some preliminary comments, and they just go to show how people can here things differently, or perhaps hear the same things but place different value judgements and priorities on what they hear.

All three days I thought the Magico Q7 room sucked, regardless of source. Myles will probably be happy to hear that I thought the S3's upstairs were much more musically engaging.

I don't understand how a "tuner" like Joseph Walker could have a room with components of that quality sound so bad all three days; bad rooms or not, many sounded much better than the Raidho/Walker room.

I was singularly underhwelmed by the Evolution Acoustics room, and also by all 4 rooms where there were Wilson speakers (2 Sahshas, 2 Alexias). I'm not really blaming the speakers because Steve's Wilsons sounded fantastic.

The Perfect 8's / Balabo / Bergmann system was pretty good Sunday afternoon when they finally got the ribbon mostly broken in (it was replaced the day before the show) and fixed the phase on the subs.

The Nimbus Joule White's sounded like an excellent $13k speaker driven by the high power amps.

Both the rooms with YG speakers sounded pretty good; both the rooms with Vandersteens (Treo and 7) were disappointing. The 7's in particular I've heard sound better, i still haven't heard anything very likable about the Treo.

A very nice $7k speaker is the Prana Fidelity, made in Denver.

I'm obviously biased but I thought the Acoustic Zen Crescendos sounded very good as usual!

FWIW, some of the worst sounding rooms I visited were using LP, some of the best open reel (but that didn't help the Magico Q7). In general, in rooms with servers and high-end DACs, the difference between hires (either 24/88.2 or better PCM, or DSD) and Red Book CD were often quite pronounced. As others have said, most rooms, regardless of source, didn't sound very good. Supposedly T.H.E. Show is moving to a new venue next year.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
As far as the Wilson Alexia rooms go, the room that had all the white Vicostic diffusers sounded great to me. The other room, not so much.
I'm telling you, my new dream speakers are the mbl X-treme's
I too thought the Magico Q7's sucked and the S3 was much better.
Tonally, the Raidho sounded good but I thought were too far apart.
I liked the big Focal's and the Vivid room too.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Some preliminary comments, and they just go to show how people can here things differently, or perhaps hear the same things but place different value judgements and priorities on what they hear.

All three days I thought the Magico Q7 room sucked, regardless of source. Myles will probably be happy to hear that I thought the S3's upstairs were much more musically engaging.

I don't understand how a "tuner" like Joseph Walker could have a room with components of that quality sound so bad all three days; bad rooms or not, many sounded much better than the Raidho/Walker room.

I was singularly underhwelmed by the Evolution Acoustics room, and also by all 4 rooms where there were Wilson speakers (2 Sahshas, 2 Alexias). I'm not really blaming the speakers because Steve's Wilsons sounded fantastic.

The Perfect 8's / Balabo / Bergmann system was pretty good Sunday afternoon when they finally got the ribbon mostly broken in (it was replaced the day before the show) and fixed the phase on the subs.

The Nimbus Joule White's sounded like an excellent $13k speaker driven by the high power amps.

Both the rooms with YG speakers sounded pretty good; both the rooms with Vandersteens (Treo and 7) were disappointing. The 7's in particular I've heard sound better, i still haven't heard anything very likable about the Treo.

A very nice $7k speaker is the Prana Fidelity, made in Denver.

I'm obviously biased but I thought the Acoustic Zen Crescendos sounded very good as usual!

FWIW, some of the worst sounding rooms I visited were using LP, some of the best open reel (but that didn't help the Magico Q7). In general, in rooms with servers and high-end DACs, the difference between hires (either 24/88.2 or better PCM, or DSD) and Red Book CD were often quite pronounced. As others have said, most rooms, regardless of source, didn't sound very good. Supposedly T.H.E. Show is moving to a new venue next year.

LOL! Heard the S3s over the weekend driven by the Audio Note Kagura SE amplifiers. What a nice combo! Delicate, sweet and great low level resolution.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Yes, I could see the balance at lower levels thing. I have found the same after the noise floor in my system dropped with better electronics and good isolation. The other thing is that I have now spent an hour or so with the Naim Statement amp and the big Focals...setup by Naim and Focal who both came to show it.

Most impressed by the low noise floor, level of detail retrieval...particularly at lower levels. My initial thinking is that this points to a speaker that is transparent and responds to every minute little change...and then that same speaker then being effortlessly driven by a very, very quiet system (ie, one with very little of its own noise/grunge).

Experiencing the large Focal/Boulder combo at lower SPL level was serendipitous. The staff only attenuated the volume on this system so the smaller Focal/McIntosh system, next door, could be demoed. Naturally, :b I went next door and heard terrific sound :D

I never returned to hear the Focal/Boulder rig.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
As far as the Wilson Alexia rooms go, the room that had all the white Vicostic diffusers sounded great to me. The other room, not so much.
I'm telling you, my new dream speakers are the mbl X-treme's
I too thought the Magico Q7's sucked and the S3 was much better.
Tonally, the Raidho sounded good but I thought were too far apart.
I liked the big Focal's and the Vivid room too.
The Wilson Alexias that Bruce mentions were clearly the best of the Wilsons. I thought they sounded only mediocre on Fri and Sun but pretty good on Sat; after listening to them Sun I thought that Sat might have been a happy accident.
I was with Bruce in the MBL room Fri, when they were good, even better on Sun

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Fully concur :cool:

All three days I thought the Magico Q7 room sucked, regardless of source.

When I listened with a friend this morning, for approximately 90', a few items ruminated in my mind...in no particular order:

1. The dealer was uncertain how to neutralize the 'AC clocking/reclocking' aspect of the system configuration, therefore, I cannot attest whether this effect was engaged during the audition.
2. It was extremely difficult to dial-in volume...exercising the remote did not yield fine control. In this system, attenuating the gain -- perhaps, internally via the preamp -- would have been wonderful.
3. The audition consisted of vinyl and tape sources.

My observations were favorable. The drivers were quite coherent...I was able to detect slight tweeter localization. The drivers integrated very well, which suggests to me, -- in part -- the crossover is well-implemented.

There was a memorable record that was first up...a Decca recording of Beethoven's Ninth which sustained a palpable sound field. It is seldom, indeed, that I can suspend my disbelief -- especially, in show conditions -- but it resulted with this recording, rig, and room :cool:

I listened to them on Saturday and noted they were 'boomy' at times...sounds like better sound on Sunday :)

Supposedly T.H.E. Show is moving to a new venue next year.[/QUOTE]

That's the buzz.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Another room I liked was the Usher / Pass Labs room, with a 2 piece 3-way speaker system that sounded very good for about $13k; of course the amplification cost 3-4x as much as the speakers (5-6x or more if you included the Xs preamp)...

For the Alexias (with Constellation) I sat in the sweet spot all three days; the difference might have been that on Saturday the room was packed (probably 20-30 people) while on both Fri and Sun I was almost alone. They may have intentionally (or not) "tuned" the room for more people in it.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
room 1022, High Water Sound, Cessaro Horns, Tron electronics, TW-Acustic.

I always like most aspects of Jeff's room, and his music. those speakers thou seem to be typically not quite smooth enough on top for me. and in this case, each time I happened on this room he was playing too loud to stay long. at RMAF sometimes his rooms are among my favs.

1022-1.jpg
1022-2.jpg

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
DaveyF said: "I asked the rep if he could play the Kronos TT, to which he replied that he didn't have the knowledge to do so and so we kept on listening to the dreck. Why they even had the TT in the system is beyond me?? "

How much knowledge does it take to play a tt? Unbelievable!

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Atrium 205, Wilson, VTL, dCS, Grand Prix Audio tt

nice sounding room both times I was there. maybe my fav Wilson room.

Atrium 205-1.jpg

Atrium 205-3.jpg

Attachments

• Atrium 205-2.jpg
    Atrium 205-2.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 486

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Atrum 202, Wilson, Aesthetix Electronics, AMG tt, Graham Elite tonearm.

pretty good. I could not really tell what the Elite arm was doing....to be fair.

Atrium 202-1.jpg
Atrium 202-2-Elite.jpg

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I've never heard the Ellipsa SE's sound good (on 3 occasions), but in a different room I liked what I heard from Amati Futuras (for the second time), on this occasion driven by relatively inexpensive PrimaLuna electronics, which BTW sounded so much better in triode mode that it's hard to imagine anyone ever using the ultralinear mode (it's not enough extra power to make much sense to me). They (the Dialogues) were using KT150 tubes.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
An interesting occurence in the E.A.R. room, with Marten Coltranes and (obviously) deParavincini electronics. First up was Miles Davis LP "E.S.P", not a fantastic recording but usually sounding better than this, I thought. Then we changed to Dan's server for his own 24-96 rip (HDTT has one too, available commercially) of a prerecorded 7.5 ips tape of the album "Spain" conducted by Adolfo Argenta, and boy did the sound open up and become smoother, more detailed and much more listenable. I know they are two totally different recordings, but with one the system sounded fantastic, the other not so desirable. I didn't get a chance to investigate further because Tim de was in a bit of a manic mood, and Dan shooed us out into the hall so others could listen to the system instead of us chatting. Still, that 45 minutes spent talking with Tim is a huge part of why I go to audio shows, because as a non-insider it's about the only chance I'll ever have to pick the brain of someone like that. :)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Atrium room 323, EAR USA, Marten speakers.

always one of my favorite rooms to hang, and listened for awhile here. just good sound....the Marten speakers were not fully working for me. miss the Durand arm from last year.:D

Atrium 323-1.jpg
Atrium 323-2.jpg

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
got home last night and had a choice between listening to all the new vinyl I bought and loading more pics. hummmmm??

the vinyl won in a knock-out, and I listened to it until late. the big rig was really strutting it's stuff welcoming me home.

so this morning I did what I could. tonight when I get home i'll try to load more.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Sam, good seeing you and Sonny too. Did you have a chance to listen to the Concert Fidelity Room with the Z: Axis and TAD gear. I thought this room was one of the two best that I heard at the show. The TAD Reference One's were signing with the Concert Fidelity ZL-200 amps and the CF-080LSX2 preamp.

Davey F, many thanks for the great comments, it seems some missed our room as we were off the lobby where it was less noise polluted, which has pro's and cons.. Out of interest, which day did you visit? This was the first showing for Z:Axis at Newport Beach, so it was good to hear some highly positive feedback :)

Rgds,
Paul

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing