A new way to use the word Analog.

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
I was struck by this repurposing of the word Analog (at least its new to me). Its being used in a Space simulation program known as OASEAS. Their use of it is as Analog Simulation of Space conditions, I.E. placing humans in an environment (usually challenging) to gather data of Space like situations. You could call this In Vivo simulation I guess. While this is certainly nothing new, adding the word analog seems apt, and got me started thinking on a number of lines.

With us audiophiles, analog means something very different. And I wonder how that difference has been affected by the rise of digital audio. Before digital, the use of the word analog in audio was used much more sparsely. We kind of take it to mean a way of storing audio as contiguous wholistic waveform, as opposed to many individual datapoints of that waveform. Though I wonder if you really look closely the sample points in analog are either individual charged magnetic particles or bumps in the side of a vinyl groove, which are created somewhat randomly compared to digital which is locked to a time code (hopefully). Another difference that instead of a state of 1 or 0, analog has a multitude of states.

In my long term work doing due diligence of companies, products and ideas - mainly in the tech sector, I could apply this to my prime directive, which is first hand experience creates the best data. I seek analog experience first and foremost when I get into a due diligence process. This means trying the software, visiting the sites, interviewing developers etc.

Analog. Does any of this spark ideas with you?

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
Analog computers were in common use before digital. They did not involve AD/DA conversion. You modeled the system, possibly on a bread board, and looked at the output as input was changed. Many problems could be solved by these analog modelers.
Obviousness digital computing won … but I don’t think there were ever any other expectations.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
If you don’t have a background in mid 20th century engineering, I expect it would be difficult. Resistors are first order components. Inductors and capacitors are second order components. When you put them together in different ways, the input/ output relationship is predictably changed. Equations that simulate the behavior of systems can be modeled with these analog components. Analog comes from the concept of analogy. The circuit behavior is analogous to the equations that have been modeled.
I doubt that helps much. But perhaps some googling may help. Digital modeling is essentially done with switches and gates. Digital coming from the 0 or 1 status of such devices.
The Wikipedia article I linked to is not bad.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing