Convince me to restart my analog journey

Rawlit

Oct 6, 2021
A year ago I had to sell my whole system, now slowly rebuilding it. As a first step and due to space constraints, I've now a decent digital front end.

I do miss the magic of analog sound, and wanted to know if there’s a way of getting back into analog without having to build my records catalog from scratch, which I had to sadly sell.

Is there a service that allows “borrowing” vinyl records?

So that I can listen and either keep or give the record back?

I’m based in GA, USA

thanks all

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Why should anyone convince you of anything regarding music sources and quality? Seems to me that is entirely up to you. Good luck.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Only reason: it will allow you to one-up digital folks for the next ten plus years on threads that crop up every week

• Haha
Reactions: Al M.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
A year ago I had to sell my whole system, now slowly rebuilding it. As a first step and due to space constraints, I've now a decent digital front end.

I do miss the magic of analog sound, and wanted to know if there’s a way of getting back into analog without having to build my records catalog from scratch, which I had to sadly sell.

Is there a service that allows “borrowing” vinyl records?

So that I can listen and either keep or give the record back?

I’m based in GA, USA

thanks all

Per your thread title, it seems you already have convinced yourself.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I would not do it for the sonics. I would do it because you like to touch the media and read the sleeve. Because you enjoy seeking out quality pressings. As in, understand the labels, pressing plants, year of production etc. If your into the "Hobby" of vinyl, then go for it. Just my opinion.

Reactions: keithc and Leekg

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
Following.
Maybe your journey will inspire some of us to go deeper in our vinyl rabbit hole.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Analog is about the records - good records. People won't lend you quality records, it is too risky.

Analog is not about the gear - that is the easier part.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
FWIW, regarding the OP, libraries used to lend records. I’ve not seen this in many years. What I remember is that many patrons had nasty “needles” and poorly set up cartridges. So after a few plays on such gear, the grooves were plowed into oblivion and even a record cleaner was of no help.

Honestly, if I’d sold off my record collection, I would not be trying to rebuild it. Way too much work and expense. My most prized records are for all practical purposes irreplaceable.

Reactions: Rawlit

Doc76

Aug 29, 2023
United States
I have extremely good digital (streaming and CD), but at the end of the day it still doesn’t match my TT for excellence in sound. Vinyl places me closer to the actual venue. The singers and instruments “feel” and “sound” more real. On a great table vinyl is mind blowing to me.

A vinyl rig takes more care, which I actually enjoy, but the rewards come ‘for me‘ in the ultimate reproduction and enjoyment of the music.

But this is all subjective. Others enjoy different flavors of Hagen Das. I suggest going to a friend‘s home who has both a properly set up Highend digital and vinyl system. Listen to the same tracks on both digital and vinyl. Then just listen, listen, listen. Weigh the sound and the work it takes to get it - and since you owned vinyl before you are familiar with much of this already. Then IMO you will be making a more informed decision.

Most of all, enjoy the Journey!

Last edited:

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
As a first step and due to space constraints, I've now a decent digital front end.
Setting aside what you had and looking forward:
1) Are you the kind of person that could be happy with say 25-30 tightly curated analog albums? Or would it need to be 100+? ( considering you have digital for 'everything'...)
2) Space constraints... How does this affect media storage allocation?

Could be tape is an option if you would be happy with a small collection of media....

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
Send me your credit card and I'll get you started on a nice vinyl collection.......:cool:

Rawlit

Oct 6, 2021
Setting aside what you had and looking forward:
1) Are you the kind of person that could be happy with say 25-30 tightly curated analog albums? Or would it need to be 100+? ( considering you have digital for 'everything'...)
2) Space constraints... How does this affect media storage allocation?

Could be tape is an option if you would be happy with a small collection of media....
I had about 500 records, all hand picked and some of them extremely rare, it was a necessary and painful decision to sell. Now I don’t have the space and time to restart, I was hoping there would be a way of lending records these days, although I understand the consumable nature of analog defeats the purpose

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing