Zellaton: The End of My Speaker Journey

earlinarizona

Jul 17, 2010
I have heard these speakers in Munich after 3 visits to the Zellaton room. They are clear standout speakers to me for a very specific reason. You will notice all of the speakers are made of the exact material and shape including the tweeter. They all speak in the same voice, unlike other speakers with each being a different material and shape. Tweeters in domes and paper cone shapes on the mids and something else on the bass. This was staring me right in the face. Other speakers have ceramic cones, tweeters out of beryllium with one in a dome shape and another in a flat shape. How many other speakers do you see a cone shaped tweeter. None. When you listen, it is like listening to an electrostatic speaker that has one diaphragm speaking the same for the total range. It actually sounded like a seamless very potent electrostatic speaker. That is a major compliment for a cone system. The level of the build was higher than most of the other speakers too. High wife approval.

Last edited:

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I’m in California and would love to audition Zellaton. Seems like NYC is closest to demo?
KPC, I am pleased to say I have Pluro Evo's available for a demo here in Newport Beach. Emotions will be next. Please PM me and we can set up a look and listen.

Reactions: Mendel and Pokey77

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Congratulations on acquiring your new Zellaton speakers!
Thank you for sharing your experience and providing such a detailed overview of the sound they produce. Zellaton's speakers are undeniably remarkable. Keep reveling in your fantastic setup and may you experience countless hours of joy with them.

Reactions: AudioGod

vinyl_mike

Jun 17, 2012
I would also like to hear a glimpse of how great this system sounds. It is my observation that these speakers retain the same inherent character in their sound no matter what electronics they are paired with. Based on my experience, I attribute their sound more to the Duelund components used in their crossover than to the drivers themselves. As Mike alluded to in his write up, they produce a very smooth sound that is solid and well defined. While this sound comes across as “refined”, ultimate detail and resolution is not their strong suit as Mike commented. I feel the same way about the sound of the Goldmund amplifiers that I own. It will be interesting to hear a glimpse of the sound that Mike is getting from his system through a YouTube video of the system. This system I think sounds in stark contrast to the “modern” sound that you typically hear from so many systems these days, but not everyone is a fan of the “laidback” presentation. Look forward to Mike sharing a video of his system playing some music for us to hear.
Some clarification. In my original post I stated that: “Missing is any added edginess, detail, or artificial enhancement.” Using a video analogy, turning up the sharpness control does not add a detail, it produces an edge enhancement that some might find pleasing. It does not fundamentally change the resolution, and there is no increase in information. From my ears and experience “real” resolution is a Zellaton strength, as if you're going from 2k to 4k on a monitor. I know it's a cliche, but with the Zellatons I've heard information, details, and musical cues that I've never heard before.

Also, I do not equate a refined, sophisticated sound with a laidback presentation. Personally, I want immersion in the music, I want excitement, involvement, and I want the music to take over the room. I want goosebumps. My listening tastes are the antithesis of “laidback.” I can assure you, the Statements are not “laidback.” My original post mentioned that not every listener wants this immersion, and that this can be mitigated to some degree by room placement for those that preferred a less immersive approach.

And yes, I believe there is a “stark contrast” between the Zellaton and other SOTA contenders. The contrast for me is the startling, seamless top-to-bottom presentation and the lifelike, in the room 3d presentation - especially with voices. In these areas, I have heard nothing that beats Zellatons.

At some point I might post a video. However, there is no possible way that a video can do them justice. I live in the suburbs of Philly, if you, or any WBF member would like to hear the Statements in my system, it would be my pleasure to share the listening experience.

AudioGod

Aug 27, 2023
Finland
;)Some clarification. In my original post I stated that: “Missing is any added edginess, detail, or artificial enhancement.” Using a video analogy, turning up the sharpness control does not add a detail, it produces an edge enhancement that some might find pleasing. It does not fundamentally change the resolution, and there is no increase in information. From my ears and experience “real” resolution is a Zellaton strength, as if you're going from 2k to 4k on a monitor. I know it's a cliche, but with the Zellatons I've heard information, details, and musical cues that I've never heard before.

Also, I do not equate a refined, sophisticated sound with a laidback presentation. Personally, I want immersion in the music, I want excitement, involvement, and I want the music to take over the room. I want goosebumps. My listening tastes are the antithesis of “laidback.” I can assure you, the Statements are not “laidback.” My original post mentioned that not every listener wants this immersion, and that this can be mitigated to some degree by room placement for those that preferred a less immersive approach.

And yes, I believe there is a “stark contrast” between the Zellaton and other SOTA contenders. The contrast for me is the startling, seamless top-to-bottom presentation and the lifelike, in the room 3d presentation - especially with voices. In these areas, I have heard nothing that beats Zellatons.

At some point I might post a video. However, there is no possible way that a video can do them justice. I live in the suburbs of Philly, if you, or any WBF member would like to hear the Statements in my system, it would be my pleasure to share the listening experience.
Please upload a video
Thanks ;)

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Some clarification. In my original post I stated that: “Missing is any added edginess, detail, or artificial enhancement.” Using a video analogy, turning up the sharpness control does not add a detail, it produces an edge enhancement that some might find pleasing. It does not fundamentally change the resolution, and there is no increase in information. From my ears and experience “real” resolution is a Zellaton strength, as if you're going from 2k to 4k on a monitor. I know it's a cliche, but with the Zellatons I've heard information, details, and musical cues that I've never heard before.

Excellent description of the difference between natural, i.e. real, and artificial detail and resolution. And yes, you can get refined, sophisticated sound paired with a vivid, immersive presentation.

Don't even bother posting a video, it's not worth it. You are right, a video cannot do a great system justice. If I am ever in your part of the country I would gladly take you up on your offer to hear your system in person.

vinyl_mike

Jun 17, 2012
Stunning speakers
Can anyone explain the logic behind the open back design ? View attachment 120542

Zellaton is pretty tight-lipped about their designs. I do not know how they are ported. From my listening, there is definitely mid and low bass energy outputted from the rear, seemingly no highs. They are not dipoles.

From Zellaton “The housing is open at the rear and dampened with a flow resistance ensures [sic] perfect music reproduction without compression.”

I assume that Gideon will be weighing in on the forum shortly, maybe he can add to the technical discussions.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
how efficient are the Zellatons in real life? not much online to reference in terms of measurements. they really are beautiful.

knotscott

Sep 26, 2023
Rochester, NY
That is a most impressive room and setup. I too am a long time seasoned veteran of audio with plenty of exposure to high end gear (even though I never had much budget to work with), and this systems really stands out. It's beautifully done, and the speaker design intrigues the speaker designer within....just wow! I can only imagine how good it must sound. Excellent write up. Congrats! :cool:

vinyl_mike

Jun 17, 2012
I’m in California and would love to audition Zellaton. Seems like NYC is closest to demo?
I don’t know about the west coast, but I just mentioned to Carlos, that I am located in a suburb of Philly, and would welcome WBF members to my house to experience the Statements. Reach out to me if interested.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012

Thank you for the clarification and extra insight

Good to hear. A number of years ago I had the opportunity to purchase a pair of Zellaton Reference MK.II, with the updated Duelund crossover and same or similar drivers. I have no doubt that the Statement are a step beyond the Reference. Never the less, I did not proceed with the purchased because of what I perceived as a lack of “texture” in the sound. While the “smooth” sound was very pleasing, I prefer a more “raw” presentation with jagged edges and all, when the music calls for it. I bough my Wisdom Audio Adrenaline Rush speakers instead. I’m glad that Statements are immersive and checking every box for you.

They are stunningly built, unique in design & styling, and have a sound that to me sounds “Refined”, which was what fueled my interest in the Reference several years ago.

At some point I might post a video. However, there is no possible way that a video can do them justice.

You be surprised by how much of the sound and character of the system comes across on YouTube system videos. No the sound is not identical but the videos provide a good account of the sound quality.

I live in the suburbs of Philly, if you, or any WBF member would like to hear the Statements in my system, it would be my pleasure to share the listening experience.

Thank you, I appreciate the offer, and if I’m in the area will definitely take you up on it.

Thank you for sharing your lovely system and the insights on its sounds.

vinyl_mike

Jun 17, 2012
What amp , DAC , and turntable and cables are you using ?
The Amps are Goldmund 3300s. As I mentioned previously, their three-megahertz bandwidth and ultra-fast 400ns rise time, really make the Zellatons “sing”

3300 both fron angle copy 2.jpg

As to source equipment, I've been a lifelong analog guy, mostly vinyl. I'm not anti-digital; I just find analog to be completely musically satisfying. Then with the addition of Greg Barone’s incredible UHA tape deck, I believe that I’m getting close to the pinnacle in analog.

Tape closeup head cover 72dpi (B).jpg

As to your specific question, when this photo was taken the Goldmund 20H Nexgen DAC was on loan from Audio Arts. It was fed from an Esoteric player and Roon Nucleus server. However, today I am without a digital source.

The turntable is a recent upgrade - Transrotor Artus FMD (Free Magnet Drive) with their new TRA9 arm. The cartridge is the Clearaudio Goldfinger.

Trans Vert full 1 copy 2.jpg

Trans top 1 copy.jpg

Traqns Side 1 copy.jpg

Cables are from Gideon at Audio Arts. I believe that he manufactures them or has them made to his specs. They are visually unassuming, but they are transparent, fast, and extended. They mate well with the Goldmunds and Zellatons.

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Stuning room and system. Congratulations and well done!

AudioGod

Aug 27, 2023
Finland
If the cabinet is open at the back .
Isn't some bass energy lost ?Or is the bass just tighter Becaue of it ?
Obviously I have no idea ,but since it's the first time I've seen this design it's intriguing

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing