A/V Room Service Equipment Vibration Protectors (EVPs)

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Has anyone compared EVP's to Townshend Pods? I have the Pods under all of my components and the Townshend platform under my speakers. The EVPs are really expensive now as all of my equipment is on the heavy side.

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
Has anyone compared EVP's to Townshend Pods? I have the Pods under all of my components and the Townshend platform under my speakers. The EVPs are really expensive now as all of my equipment is on the heavy side.
I use EVPs under some components and previously owned Townshend speaker podiums, however I did not compare them. I did test each using the iPhone Seismograph app and results were similar.

At their price point of ~$400/four, I think comparing sonic attributes when used under components is picking nits, because they are more similar than not insofar as they are decoupling devices with different versions within the lines according to weight they're designed to support. Now, their respective effect may be more pronounced under loudspeakers. I only have experience with Townshend under loudspeakers, where they produced results consistent with most reviews and user comments.

To my mind, ease of set-up, placement, and build quality carry more weight.

Are you considering replacing Townshend products with EVP, and if so, why?

Last edited:

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I use EVPs under some components and previously owned Townshend speaker podiums, however I did not compare them. I did test each using the iPhone Seismograph app and results were similar.

At their price point of ~$400/four, I think comparing sonic attributes when used under components is picking nits, because they are more similar than not. Now, their respective effect may be more pronounced under loudspeakers. I only have experience with Townshend under loudspeakers, where they produced results consistent with most reviews and user comments.

To my mind, ease of set-up, placement, and build quality carry more weight.

Are you considering replacing Townshend products with EVP, and if so, why?
Great question...like everyone here we are always looking for the extra edge. I have been researching isolation for the last two weeks. You are probably right that I would not be able to hear a difference between EVP's and Townshend Pods / Podiums. Others might be able to. I have to get a new component rack system due to new much smaller but heavier amps coming into my system. I am space limited. EVPs have less height which may be a factor with the rack and space. Due to the weight, I would need the 4" EVP which then is $800 for one component. Given that price, I will probably stay with the Townshend Pods. However, I might try the EVPs under my Lampi Horizon DAC just because I need more height space on that shelf.

Reactions: Magnuska and Gjo

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
Great question...like everyone here we are always looking for the extra edge. I have been researching isolation for the last two weeks. You are probably right that I would not be able to hear a difference between EVP's and Townshend Pods / Podiums. Others might be able to. I have to get a new component rack system due to new much smaller but heavier amps coming into my system. I am space limited. EVPs have less height which may be a factor with the rack and space. Due to the weight, I would need the 4" EVP which then is $800 for one component. Given that price, I will probably stay with the Townshend Pods. However, I might try the EVPs under my Lampi Horizon DAC just because I need more height space on that shelf.
$800 for four EVPs makes Townshend Pods a no-brainer provided you have vertical clearance for them. I believe they compress a bit taller overall than EVPs.

I use Nobsound springs under my mono block tube amplifiers. Some users say Townshend Pods sound better. Maybe. I'm not inclined to experiment at this point. $35 for four Nobsound footers (with free return) is too good to ignore.

Amazon sells Air Shims that are invaluable for lifting heavy components to allow placement of footers. They can be used to raise loudspeakers as well. I generally use three or four air shims for an installation. They were very handy during Townshend podium installation used in conjunction with furniture sliders. I've provided this tip to a few other Townshend podium owners who have spread the gospel in other forums.

Last edited:

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I purchased the air shims. There have been numerous times when I could have used them and did not know they existed. Thx Gjo.

Reactions: Gjo

eagle33331

Nov 18, 2022
Townshend pods are just stunning. I put 4 under my turntable and it never sounded better - bass articulation, mid range range density and high end clarity significantly improved. It was clear to me I should apply them to the boxes, too, but rather than put them under each item on the rest of the rack, I've just installed 4 Townshend Corners under my rack.
I've got a seismic app on my phone. I put it on the rack and stamped my foot on the wooden, suspended floor. Nothing, nada, zilch. This was definitely not the case before I suspended the rack. I've no doubt the benefits that came from putting the Pods under my t/t have transferred to suspending the rack. I can't say I can hear it because 99% of my listening was via a dac that expired just before I put them in, so I've no reference point other than the rarely used t/t - which now sounds so good I'm questioning digital. But, I do know that putting anti-vib' devices under pre and power, previously, had very obvious effects on sound. So isolating them in this way can only be for the good.
If I get a half-width DAC, my phono amp will go back on the rack. If it's full width, it'll have to stay on the wood unit which supports tv and other ancillaries and I'll get a Townshend Platform for it. Talk to Townshend direct for best price. One of the most sensible investments you can make IMO.

Attachments

• 3DEDF8DA-3A7A-4F37-A81B-C7BEB618338C.jpeg
    3DEDF8DA-3A7A-4F37-A81B-C7BEB618338C.jpeg
    537.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 5D24689A-5CF6-464F-9960-A95A1604C8FF.jpeg
    5D24689A-5CF6-464F-9960-A95A1604C8FF.jpeg
    541.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 085B16B1-509D-44F9-AAFC-0000FC101BA1.jpeg
    085B16B1-509D-44F9-AAFC-0000FC101BA1.jpeg
    728.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Reactions: gds7368

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
Townshend pods are just stunning. I put 4 under my turntable and it never sounded better - bass articulation, mid range range density and high end clarity significantly improved. It was clear to me I should apply them to the boxes, too, but rather than put them under each item on the rest of the rack, I've just installed 4 Townshend Corners under my rack.
I've got a seismic app on my phone. I put it on the rack and stamped my foot on the wooden, suspended floor. Nothing, nada, zilch. This was definitely not the case before I suspended the rack. I've no doubt the benefits that came from putting the Pods under my t/t have transferred to suspending the rack. I can't say I can hear it because 99% of my listening was via a dac that expired just before I put them in, so I've no reference point other than the rarely used t/t - which now sounds so good I'm questioning digital. But, I do know that putting anti-vib' devices under pre and power, previously, had very obvious effects on sound. So isolating them in this way can only be for the good.
If I get a half-width DAC, my phono amp will go back on the rack. If it's full width, it'll have to stay on the wood unit which supports tv and other ancillaries and I'll get a Townshend Platform for it. Talk to Townshend direct for best price. One of the most sensible investments you can make IMO.
Check Townshend's instructions regarding even spring loading. These footers would benefit by adjusting their positions until the tops are parallel with the bottoms and centered along the vertical centerline. Performance will improve.

Attachments

• 9795D3FA-F13A-4852-9C4B-83AD6E340EDB_1_201_a.jpeg
    9795D3FA-F13A-4852-9C4B-83AD6E340EDB_1_201_a.jpeg
    598 KB · Views: 13

eagle33331

Nov 18, 2022
Check Townshend's instructions regarding even spring loading. These footers would benefit by adjusting their positions until the tops are parallel with the bottoms and centered along the vertical centerline. Performance will improve.
Yes, thanks for that. I had just written to them to ask about 'lean' on the springs. Moving the pod bases makes no difference. I positioned each box using a spirit level - when the shelf became completely level I judged the box to be in the right place - but that didn't translate to the springs being completely vertical. The instructions didn't make any reference to this.

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
Yes, thanks for that. I had just written to them to ask about 'lean' on the springs. Moving the pod bases makes no difference.
Moving the pod bases will solve the "lean"; it takes finesse and patience.

I recommend using air shims to lift the lower rack base just enough to enable repositioning the pods' bases so they align under the pods' tops. Since you use eight pods, it will take some time. It can be done.

Last edited:

eagle33331

Nov 18, 2022
Cracked it! Yes - leaving just the amp in situ' the very base of each pod can be pushed into a position that's immediately under the compressed spring. Now to put it all back together again and level the t/t. Again!

Last edited:
Reactions: Gjo

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
Cracked it! Yes - leaving just the amp in situ' the very base of each pod can be pushed into a position that's immediately under the compressed spring.
Yes. Now you have it.

Reactions: eagle33331

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing