A very cheap but extremely effective tweak for records’ static

Vienna

VIP/Donor
I thought that you may find the following tweak useful, as it’s very effective and comes at a ridiculously low cost.
Some time ago I read this post https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=120963.
since these plasma lighters are inexpensive I gave it a try and it works 100%
Besides the complete static elimination, the sound’s clarity is improved in a very noticeable way.
@bazelio a while ago wrote me that he has the same sound results.

Direct Drive

Sep 16, 2020
East Anglia, UK
Worth a try. Only £11 in UK.

For sale at Amazon UK

Last edited:
Reactions: Vienna

Coimbra

Dec 26, 2019
Portugal
I thought that you may find the following tweak useful, as it’s very effective and comes at a ridiculously low cost.
Some time ago I read this post https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=120963.
since these plasma lighters are inexpensive I gave it a try and it works 100%
Besides the complete static elimination, the sound’s clarity is improved in a very noticeable way.
@bazelio a while ago wrote me that he has the same sound results.

How do you use this lighter?

Vienna

VIP/Donor
How do you use this lighter?
Put the record on the platter, clean it as usual and start spining it, then trigger the plasma lighter at a distance of about 1 cm away from the surface, use it for a couple of turns and try to cover the full width of the tracks.
Then play the music as usual.

P.S. to see the exact effect, just magnetise a plastic pen with static (rub it against wool) and aproach a paper, then trigger the plasma lighter and you will see that instantly the static is eliminated

Coimbra

Dec 26, 2019
Portugal
Put the record on the platter, clean it as usual and start spining it, then trigger the plasma lighter at a distance of about 1 cm away from the surface, use it for a couple of turns and try to cover the full width of the tracks.

P.S. to see the exact effect, just magnetise a plastic pen with static (rub it against wool) and aproach a paper, then trigger the plasma lighter and you will see that instantly the static is eliminated
Thank you. Martin

Reactions: Vienna

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
This works very well. Last night I used it on a record with no obvious static. I played the first track prior to treatment, and then again immediately after treatment with the plasma igniter. I was surprised to hear a noticeably greater level of clarity after the treatment. In addition, the stylus now touches down on the vinyl in absolute silence when lowering the tonearm.

Direct Drive

Sep 16, 2020
East Anglia, UK
Mine arrived yesterday. Been using it today....Best £11 I've spent in a while.
It does work. Makes the surface noise drop significantly. I'm convinced I could hear the static dissipating as I clicked. USB rechargeable.

Coimbra

Dec 26, 2019
Portugal
Thank you. Martin

Hi Vienna - I am now using 3 days the plasma lighter. Work good and eliminate the static. The sound is improved. Regards from Portugal Martin.

Reactions: Direct Drive

Vienna

VIP/Donor
I am glad, happy listening

Reactions: Coimbra

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Would this work as well?

Attachments

• 628047363_2.jpg
    628047363_2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 47

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Would this work as well?
Yes of course, what matters is the positive charged ions which are being emitted from the plasma charge

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Yes of course, what matters is the positive charged ions which are being emitted from the plasma charge
Thanks, I ordered one. I asked because the one you have shared has one arc, whereas the one I am buying has two :)

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I bought one of these things, tried it, and its great. I ordered three and gave them a holiday gifts to my audio buddies who stopped by last night for a listen to my new EtsuroGold and CSPort phono. One of the guys says he has the real test for the device as he reports his turntable, for some reason, creates a lot of static or it seems because he can hear it when lifting the LP off the surface. Any ideas where lots of static can be generated to cause this?

Reactions: Direct Drive

kernelbob

Oct 23, 2011
I find that putting Bounce fabric softener sheets (unscented) under components will neutralize static build up. You can also wipe cables with them. Too cheap not to try.

3125simon

Apr 26, 2020
Uk
Thanks, I ordered one. I asked because the one you have shared has one arc, whereas the one I am buying has two :)
I bought one of these things, tried it, and its great. I ordered three and gave them a holiday gifts to my audio buddies who stopped by last night for a listen to my new EtsuroGold and CSPort phono. One of the guys says he has the real test for the device as he reports his turntable, for some reason, creates a lot of static or it seems because he can hear it when lifting the LP off the surface. Any ideas where lots of static can be generated to cause this?
I also bought one - quite an amazing drop in surface noise and clicks & pops - = more detail and more natural sound - not sure how, but must be the best 11£ I’ve spent in this normally expensive hobby.....

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Tried it and it seems to work. Thanks for the tip!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing