A very cheap but extremely effective tweak for records’ static

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
I played a record the other day, digitized it actually, and it was so quiet I sent a note to the label complementing them on such a fine pressing. Quiet passages and between tracks it sounded great and the waveform confirmed it. I have a Zerostat but don't use it much because I don't see static as a problem, leastways not where I live. I like reading the reviews here, however.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
With the record spinning, light up the spark and scan it across the disc surface, keeping a small distance of say 10mm. View attachment 72834
My ritual is a shot of compressed air against the direction of the spinning disk (record spinning towards me) to blow off any surface dust, then on opposite side (record spinning away from me) I pass the plasma arc over the record a few times slowly, back and forth, as he said about 1 cm above the record. (Unlike the photo above I do keep it away from my cartridge.)

I've always been leery of using compressed air to blow off any dust as it creates static, but now the worry is gone.

Reactions: tima and TLi

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Also bought one then another for an audio buddy for Christmas. He was bemused when it turned up in the post without explanation :)

Thanks for the tip

Reactions: Bobvin and bazelio

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
My ritual is a shot of compressed air against the direction of the spinning disk (record spinning towards me) to blow off any surface dust, then on opposite side (record spinning away from me) I pass the plasma arc over the record a few times slowly, back and forth, as he said about 1 cm above the record. (Unlike the photo above I do keep it away from my cartridge.)

I've always been leery of using compressed air to blow off any dust as it creates static, but now the worry is gone.

This is the blower I use.

Attachments

• 054D0E1F-7E2B-4666-8609-DF929BEA9F5B.jpeg
    054D0E1F-7E2B-4666-8609-DF929BEA9F5B.jpeg
    442.4 KB · Views: 51

Vienna

VIP/Donor
I am very glad that this inexpensive tweak helped

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
20210114_164123.jpg

I just received mine today and it definitely works as mentioned.

Better clarity, quieter and the vocal becomes more natural and presence.

Thanks for the tip!

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas
it is very dry in here for the last week. Humidity Is around 30 to 40%. So perfect weather to test the plasma lighter. It works very well. Very effective. No more static when lifting LP from the platter. To me, it works better than DS Audio. I will put up DS Audio for sale.
When you say it works better than the DS Audio do you mean that you hear an improvement using the plasma lighter when the DS Audio unit is working as well? Or do you mean that it works as well or better than the DS Audio unit by itself?

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
I got mine yesterday. Can't say everything sounds better, but certainly does remove the static. I the past when removing a record, I could feel the record almost cling to the platter, when the separation was made you could hear the static. A quick hover over the record while pressing the button works quickly and efficiently. Best part is I didn't spend a fortune.

Reactions: adyc

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas
I got one yesterday too. I can light a cigarette with that thing. I’m not putting it 1cm from my records. I’ll stick with the DS Audio.

SONDEKNZ

Mar 2, 2021
I’m very interested because here in China there is a lot of crud in the air - that ends up on your turntable platter and on your LP surfaces.

Confession time: Anyone actually damaged a record with one of these BBQ lighters yet???

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I’m very interested because here in China there is a lot of crud in the air - that ends up on your turntable platter and on your LP surfaces.

Confession time: Anyone actually damaged a record with one of these BBQ lighters yet???
Not here… would be difficult to do. You would have to hold the device in one spot right against the record surface I think. Pretty harmless device in reality.

I get my record up to speed then pass the device with the plasma arc enabled back and forth from outer edge to inner edge about 1cm over the record surface. When the slight buzz goes away and the arc steadies into a straight line I’m done. Sometimes one area of the LP will seem to require holding the arc near that spot (record spinning) but the device, IMHO, performs better than the old ZeroStat that’s been around for decades. ymmv

Reactions: SONDEKNZ

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Anybody compared the performance of the very expensive (RRP: £1,500) CSPort IME1 Static Eliminator & Demagnetiser to this BBQ Lighter ?

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Also has anybody tried this Furutech Destat Static Charge Eliminator ? ;

I have the Zerostat Gun and it does nothing to my record static issues. Waste of £50+ ! :mad:

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Anybody have or tried the Hudson Hifi Anti Static Brush ? ;

Or the Pro-Ject Sweep It E Broom with Natural Hair Brush ? ;

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing