A workshop at Shakti’s - hORNS Universum, Bohne Audio BB-15, etc.

Cdupree

Jan 30, 2016
Thank you Rainer. Much appreciated! Regards, Pat

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany

Cdupree

Jan 30, 2016
You have a beautiful home and stereo Jurgen! Thank you very much for the information on the the QRD 67. Regards, Patrick

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
just another visitor report, from a visitor who was not able to come to the workshop, but stopped by yesterday:

Short break at Shakti

Yesterday I was after a bussines date in the north of Cologne on the road home, and a lot of traffic was the reason that the navi has chosen a route almost close at the door of Shakti. I rang briefly through and so i got a very spontaneous unplanned listening session.

The environment has been around since my last visit, that was almost a year ago and I only know his new environment of workshop photos ect. However, I have not heard the hORNS, Bolder‘s and TECHDAs, etc.
And at my last visit the sofa was still green, -). Unbelievable.

The first impression, that is the optical comparison to everything I have seen before at Shakti, goes clearly to the hORNS (my opinion).

The Zingali, for me rather a R2D2 look and the rather cool looking Aluminum-YG have to be there for me behind the hORNS.

Now you can horns, especially if these optically but rather "exotic" therefore come, like or not, from the mass of classic "boxes" they stand out in any case. These are, similar to the Vivid Audios Giya series, rather very good sounding music sculptures.

In order to get some music out of this case as well, Shakti, as always, has some special features (something has already been written about that). Anyone who has been to one of the workshops knows that Shakti does not focus on individual good components, but that he understands how to create a solution with interesting additional components.

The current setup speaks to me much more than "the" Zingali setup that I was allowed to hear. I'm not sure either, but I think even in comparison with the YG this might be in favor of the current setup after yesterday. In any case, the Cabinet plays at a top level and makes you happy to hear.

Yesterday there were some nice jazz recordings and some latin music so just listen and good. Since you live quite close and yet it works very rarely with joint sessions. Funny, but it is.
So in that sense ... happy listening if possible and thanks again for the nice evening at Shakti.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Juergen, I went onto the RD website, and it was quoting €4600 for one diffusor panel. Do they mean €460.00? Most confusing.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
please check the dimension of the Diffusor, 160cm x 160cm , around 200kg
so 4600,- eur is the real price.

But you can find DIY plans in the web for QRD67 diffusor structure, so if someone likes to safe money, it is possible to do DIY.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm sorry Juergen, but €4600 is a preposterous price for a diffusor.

GIK do a Gotham Quadratic, similar size for €250.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I'm sorry Juergen, but €4600 is a preposterous price for a diffusor.

GIK do a Gotham Quadratic, similar size for €250.

This is completely different size, depth etc. than GIK's Gotham. Gotham is about 13cm deep, whereas Shakti's diffuser is double that depth. GIK is roughly 45x45cm, this is 160x160cm. GIK has 23 variations, this has 67!

It would take 4 GIK's panels just to cover the area, but than it would be half the depth and with much less variation. Yes, these type of diffusers are expensive but your comparison is not right.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
My bad Kodomo. I know depth is critical w absorption, is it also w diffusion?

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Depth is very important, it sets the lower limit. Variation is also very important, better response and having each column small size extends it to higher freq. These at the same time creates manufacturing difficulties. There is not enough demand for bigger manufacturing facilities, so all these are one off and/or manufactured on demand. All these add up to a higher price...

ps. You can download and easily learn a program called "qrdude" and design these panels yourself. The designing part is not hard via programs like these. You set your desired parameters and the result is dictated. Within a few days you will understand it. Building these, however takes time, patience and funds or a good carpenter willing to spend time on this.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
What a cool place, would love to visit one day if possible. I thought the Bohne Audio / Trinnov demo at the Munich show was very enjoyable.

The diffusor pricing does not seem outrageous to me at all. I stumbled across this on pinterest a while ago, takes this concept to the extreme:

IMG_0864.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0864.jpg
    IMG_0864.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: infinitely baffled

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
They should do the floor too LOL.

Reactions: bonzo75

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
That photo is from Blackbird studios, studio C in Nashville. The designer of it is George Massenburg.

Reactions: infinitely baffled

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
Thanks kodomo & shakti! In the mean time I have already received a quote for the 1,5m 1D diffusor from Poland: in RAL semimatte white it will come at 660 EUR a piece, plus shipping. That's definitely interesting.

Jürgen, I always thought that 2D (skyline) diffusors work best on ceilings and that for side walls 1D diffusors are best? When I moved my 2D diffusors from the side walls to the area above my listening position I was almost shocked about how much soundstaging and imaging improved.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
The Bohne speakers were fabulous at Munich. Here's what I thought including pic: Bohne at Munich.

Sat next to Shakti at a meal after the show.

Shakti - did you buy the Bohne recently?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So, it's diffusion for you guys, more than absorption?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Thanks kodomo & shakti! In the mean time I have already received a quote for the 1,5m 1D diffusor from Poland: in RAL semimatte white it will come at 660 EUR a piece, plus shipping. That's definitely interesting.

Jürgen, I always thought that 2D (skyline) diffusors work best on ceilings and that for side walls 1D diffusors are best? When I moved my 2D diffusors from the side walls to the area above my listening position I was almost shocked about how much soundstaging and imaging improved.
typical Studio set up follows LEDE (Life end (rear), dead end (front) ) structure and recommends 1D diffusors for walls and 2D for roof and ground.

It is all about management of acoustic energy.

But I would say, this is the wrong thread to discuss in more detail.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing