Abbas dac 2.1 se

Artnet

Mar 7, 2021
Melbourne, Australia.
I am of the opinion that music streamers and CD transports can cover the spectrum from “just OK” sound quality to extraordinarily good!

Certainly not going to disagree with that. I was really reflecting on my experience within the audition. After I calmed down from the streaming experience, I can enjoy CD's again and wont be giving them up. Just 2 different flavors in my set up and may try other CD transports.

limberpine

Oct 14, 2021
Thanks for your additional comments/ins. I am of the opinion that music streamers and CD transports can cover the spectrum from “just OK” sound quality to extraordinarily good!

Furthermore they can easily coexist in the same audio system. I’ve never viewed them as adversaries or it’s one or the other. I’ll get into music streaming at some point. I’m just so happy with my Pro-Ject RS2T and Abbas 3.2SE that I haven’t pursued with urgency music streaming.
Charles
Charles,

If you want to take a dip in the streaming pool there is a very cost effective way to do it with a Raspberry Pi running Moode. Many people have listened to my system and are floored at how real and accurate it sounds with 3d imaging. I run the Raspberry Pi into the Abbas USB to Spdif converter.

Then I stream from my phone or tablet through an App called Bubbleupnp.

It's $150 solution all in and I would wager very hard to beat from a sound perspective, but I've not heard everything....

gerihifi

Sep 5, 2022
Germany, Hamburg
Dear Abbas Fan Club,

just wanna provide an update of my Abbas Audio 3.2SE DAC and comparison with Weiss 501 mkII.
Intensiv listening the last 6 month...

- Both will NEVER leave my house, nor I'd sell it
- Abbas is a dream combination with my Cyrus CDi, as well for 16/24bit streaming from my Lumin
- I thought I prefer Abbas for everything I stream, but of course through the limitation of the DAC chip, if you have 24bit hires the Weiss is necessary and Weiss also outperforms on certain genres I listen

Drawback: ...more cosmetic
- the fan: i've added some switch to turn off/on, because listening in low volume it is quite annoying
- bright LEDs i''ve removed from the Front to the side

So now I've focused on best Streamer, based on Ian Audio and focus on DIY-only, because not satisfied with all these over-fancy Streamer, with shiny displays and when you look inside it is just poor design.
I'v already built one Ian Streamer with DAC and OPA for my tube setup and I've to say I was shocked about this quality! My search for perfect Streamer and DAC has now ended.

If someone is interested: https://github.com/iancanada/DocumentDownload
And follow these awesome thread: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...te-weapon-to-fight-the-jitter.192465/page-527
Use GentooPlayer, best Audio player currently available, no doubt about it!

Note: I personally would confirm that the full Ian DAC/OPA/Reclockers and if you build it with the proper 3/4 different capacitors/transformers it plays easiley In the 15k commercial range (building costs on this level are around 2.5€k)

Good look everyone and I can just repeat myself: Abbas is a HiFi craftsman and his work is extraodinary. I showed some quite tough audio engineer the inside of the 3.2 and he was suprised about his details and very high quality parts, which are difficult to get.

Gerald

Pics of my (poor man) Ian build attached. Used some Yamaha Receiver case i'd laying around...will got some new case, once satisified with all cabling..

Attachments

• 20231105_120611.jpg
    20231105_120611.jpg
    505.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 20231111_202110.jpg
    20231111_202110.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

limberpine

Oct 14, 2021
Dear Abbas Fan Club,

just wanna provide an update of my Abbas Audio 3.2SE DAC and comparison with Weiss 501 mkII.
Intensiv listening the last 6 month...

- Both will NEVER leave my house, nor I'd sell it
- Abbas is a dream combination with my Cyrus CDi, as well for 16/24bit streaming from my Lumin
- I thought I prefer Abbas for everything I stream, but of course through the limitation of the DAC chip, if you have 24bit hires the Weiss is necessary and Weiss also outperforms on certain genres I listen

Drawback: ...more cosmetic
- the fan: i've added some switch to turn off/on, because listening in low volume it is quite annoying
- bright LEDs i''ve removed from the Front to the side

So now I've focused on best Streamer, based on Ian Audio and focus on DIY-only, because not satisfied with all these over-fancy Streamer, with shiny displays and when you look inside it is just poor design.
I'v already built one Ian Streamer with DAC and OPA for my tube setup and I've to say I was shocked about this quality! My search for perfect Streamer and DAC has now ended.

If someone is interested: https://github.com/iancanada/DocumentDownload
And follow these awesome thread: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...te-weapon-to-fight-the-jitter.192465/page-527
Use GentooPlayer, best Audio player currently available, no doubt about it!

Note: I personally would confirm that the full Ian DAC/OPA/Reclockers and if you build it with the proper 3/4 different capacitors/transformers it plays easiley In the 15k commercial range (building costs on this level are around 2.5€k)

Good look everyone and I can just repeat myself: Abbas is a HiFi craftsman and his work is extraodinary. I showed some quite tough audio engineer the inside of the 3.2 and he was suprised about his details and very high quality parts, which are difficult to get.

Gerald

Pics of my (poor man) Ian build attached. Used some Yamaha Receiver case i'd laying around...will got some new case, once satisified with all cabling..
Do you have a build thread or parts list on the Ian Steamer you built?

Reactions: Artnet and cal3713

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@gerihifi

Gerald thanks for taking the time to share this interesting information. Very good to know. It is quite gratifying to know that you are so pleased with both your Abbas and Weiss DACs.

I have had my Abbas 3.2 SE since February and really could not be any happier or satisfied with it. Just a genuinely marvelous component to listen to music with. Utterly engaging!
Charles

gerihifi

Sep 5, 2022
Germany, Hamburg

gerihifi

Sep 5, 2022
Germany, Hamburg
Dear Abbas-Fanboys/girls,

after owning 9 months my 3.2SE, I'm absolutely in love with it (my Weiss DAC is more for TV-Watching :-() ...kidding) !

Also Tube rolling I've not done heaviley, but my tube inventory is growing https://hificouch.world/tubeinventory - if anyone has more tube recommendation, please share!

So, yes it took 3 months to fully break-in and in the meanwhile I've matched it with my lovely Cayin 805a/300b/6SN7 - perfect and even better as with my transistor integrated amp (Rotel Michi X5)!

I ordered last week an new Abbas Audio DAC - a very custom one:
> PCM63 Signature with optional XLR-Outputs and AES/EBU
Very excited, because also a brand-new project for Abbas (incl. new PCB):

This will be for my 2nd Hifi-chain, based on Audio Note (no, I'll not use AN DAC, instead I use Abbas - let's see on which Level he plays ;-)

Keep you guys posted!
Gerald

Artnet

Mar 7, 2021
Melbourne, Australia.
Hi Gerald,

Very excited to hear about the new Abbas project and look forward to hearing more!!
My curiosity with the PCM63 may end up with me on a waiting list if it becomes a production model.

I agree the love affair with the 3.2 is to be a long one with much satisfaction.

With tube rolling, the larger sonic differences for me on the I/U convertor board, on VL3 have been subbing the 5Y3 in the power to an 80 with a socket convertor.
The big globe 80 didn't last too long it was old and have since tried a Osram U50, a very nicely built Mazda 5Y3 and currently a Bendix 6106
Currently running GEC 6080. Have some Mullard and Thompson on hand.
For the DEM clock currently a Valvo EF13 and tried an EF13K but didn't like it. Telefunken EZ11 currently, but have tried a Ultron EZ11 the telefunken is cleaner the Ultron a little warmer which is not necessary for me.
Liking a Brimar 5V4 ATM but have tried a Mullard GZ32 and an RCA 83V with a convertor also, both very nice. The little EZ80/81 using a pinnacle have tried a Marconi and have a NOS Mullard to try.
I might add that the supplied tubes from Abbas are good and rolling is a subtle tuning to your system that may not be for everyone.

Recently I had a visit from an audio friend interstate who now owns a Weiss Medus and Grimm MU1 combo. He brought with him a SONY CDP X77ES and his Medus. This is a very lovely DAC with plenty of air around the instruments and detail, very easy to listen and enjoy. We were only using the Sony as a transport, no streaming. IMO the Abbas 3.2 pulled along comfortably missing some of the air and detail more particularly for me with piano but better at the vocales!!
Given these are very diffent topologies and price points I was left admiring the Medus but also surprised.
System synergy is not to be overlooked as the finely tuned Abbas 3.2 testifies when tube rolling. In my system it still impresses me with great music, ingenuity and value. Alot of enjoyment still to be had. Very Happy indeed.

Lucky for me the SONY was for sale and now lives on my rack.

Thank you and best wishes for 2024
Regards Stephen

83V in good company.jpg

Reactions: gerihifi

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
Hi Gerald,

Very excited to hear about the new Abbas project and look forward to hearing more!!
My curiosity with the PCM63 may end up with me on a waiting list if it becomes a production model.

I agree the love affair with the 3.2 is to be a long one with much satisfaction.

With tube rolling, the larger sonic differences for me on the I/U convertor board, on VL3 have been subbing the 5Y3 in the power to an 80 with a socket convertor.
The big globe 80 didn't last too long it was old and have since tried a Osram U50, a very nicely built Mazda 5Y3 and currently a Bendix 6106
Currently running GEC 6080. Have some Mullard and Thompson on hand.
For the DEM clock currently a Valvo EF13 and tried an EF13K but didn't like it. Telefunken EZ11 currently, but have tried a Ultron EZ11 the telefunken is cleaner the Ultron a little warmer which is not necessary for me.
Liking a Brimar 5V4 ATM but have tried a Mullard GZ32 and an RCA 83V with a convertor also, both very nice. The little EZ80/81 using a pinnacle have tried a Marconi and have a NOS Mullard to try.
I might add that the supplied tubes from Abbas are good and rolling is a subtle tuning to your system that may not be for everyone.

Recently I had a visit from an audio friend interstate who now owns a Weiss Medus and Grimm MU1 combo. He brought with him a SONY CDP X77ES and his Medus. This is a very lovely DAC with plenty of air around the instruments and detail, very easy to listen and enjoy. We were only using the Sony as a transport, no streaming. IMO the Abbas 3.2 pulled along comfortably missing some of the air and detail more particularly for me with piano but better at the vocales!!
Given these are very diffent topologies and price points I was left admiring the Medus but also surprised.
System synergy is not to be overlooked as the finely tuned Abbas 3.2 testifies when tube rolling. In my system it still impresses me with great music, ingenuity and value. Alot of enjoyment still to be had. Very Happy indeed.

Lucky for me the SONY was for sale and now lives on my rack.

Thank you and best wishes for 2024
Regards Stephen

View attachment 124402
Stephen,
Thanks for sharing your listening experiences. Quite flattering that the Abbas 3.2SE acquitted itself well in the company of the esteemed Weiss Medus. Agree that the 3.2SE is exceptionally adept with vocalists (Also acoustic instruments).
Charles

Reactions: gerihifi and Artnet

Artnet

Mar 7, 2021
Melbourne, Australia.
Quite flattering that the Abbas 3.2SE acquitted itself well in the company of the esteemed Weiss Medus.

Hi Charles,

I dont want to overdo it as the comparison to the 501 may be more similar. The Medus I was certainly still living the experience of its ability long after the music stopped.
But surprised yes at the Abbas and impressed with its performance in the company it was keeping definitely. It too can leave me moved and altered by the music and I am the better for it.
The Medus is out of my league if i am to continue with hard media both CD and vinyl which i intend to do. If I was to be streaming exclusively I may and stress may feel differently?
Interestingly we visited another music lover with the Sony CDP and compared streaming and CD with a Helios DAC in a very accomplished streaming system. The humble CD fared pretty well. "I could live with either" not my words and yes if I won the lottery etc.

Hope all is well.
Regards Stephen

Last edited:
Reactions: charles1dad

gerihifi

Sep 5, 2022
Germany, Hamburg
Hi Charles,

I dont want to overdo it as the comparison to the 501 may be more similar. The Medus I was certainly still living the experience of its ability long after the music stopped.
But surprised yes at the Abbas and impressed with its performance in the company it was keeping definitely. It too can leave me moved and altered by the music and I am the better for it.
The Medus is out of my league if i am to continue with hard media both CD and vinyl which i intend to do. If I was to be streaming exclusively I may and stress may feel differently?
Interestingly we visited another music lover with the Sony CDP and compared streaming and CD with a Helios DAC in a very accomplished streaming system. The humble CD fared pretty well. "I could live with either" not my words and yes if I won the lottery etc.

Hope all is well.
Regards Stephen

Funny you mentioned your Sony, I do have a complete revised Swoboda Audio Sony CDP X505ES and this transport blows me away (unfortunately no external DAC possible, but what they modify is exceptional and even it is an expensive modification ~€4.8k, highly recommended). P.S: I don't need an Audio Note CD-Player ;-)

Next modification will be my Pioneer PD-93, where I use Abbas for external DAC, really nice match.
Currently I use my Cyrus CDi with external PSU + Abbas.

It is interesting to see how much Audiophile overlook CD and fully focus on vinyl or streaming. Of course you need to pay attention where you buy CD's in our days, but 16bit/44kHz can sound very addictive ;-)

My favorite CD labels I buy regular:

1. https://en.thelostrecordings.store/
2. https://ecmrecords.com/shop/
3. https://www.actmusic.com/en/shop/
4. https://store.bluenote.com/
5. https://www.stockfisch-records.de/sf12_start_d.html

Thanks for sharing!
Gerald

Artnet

Mar 7, 2021
Melbourne, Australia.
Funny you mentioned your Sony, I do have a complete revised Swoboda Audio Sony CDP X505ES and this transport blows me away (unfortunately no external DAC possible, but what they modify is exceptional and even it is an expensive modification ~€4.8k, highly recommended). P.S: I don't need an Audio Note CD-Player ;-)

Thank you Gerald I will look at the Swoboda mods as I like to dream about spending money :), but really very happy with the stock SONY unit as is. I will get a better clock on my CEC and I hope improve it some more and have some different flavours between the 2 transports.
Also a sympathetic smile on my face when reading your comment on the the Audio note.

Next modification will be my Pioneer PD-93, where I use Abbas for external DAC, really nice match.
Currently I use my Cyrus CDi with external PSU + Abbas.

Keen to hear how the Pioneer turns out for you. I secretly covert more vintage CD transports!!
I had much Cyrus gear at one stage and ironically sold my CDi and PSU combo when I resolved to go low watt SET amp/ high efficiency speakers and try a vintage CDT or 2. I somewhat miss the CDi and would like to hear what my Abbas 4.1 or 3.2 could do with it.

It is interesting to see how much Audiophile overlook CD and fully focus on vinyl or streaming. Of course you need to pay attention where you buy CD's in our days, but 16bit/44kHz can sound very addictive ;-)

Definitely we are not done yet. CD can be very gratifying as has been said. Addictive yes particularly with a 3.2.
Thank you for the CD links. I am familiar with some.
Regards Stephen

Reactions: gerihifi

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Does anyone here have any insight into his newer DAC with the 1865 chip? I am close to ordering an AN 3.1 balanced but these DACs caught my attention. Parts look incredible, just very unclear on how the Dacs line up in terms of sound/price etc.

gerihifi

Sep 5, 2022
Germany, Hamburg
Does anyone here have any insight into his newer DAC with the 1865 chip? I am close to ordering an AN 3.1 balanced but these DACs caught my attention. Parts look incredible, just very unclear on how the Dacs line up in terms of sound/price etc.
Hi,
I've seen his new blog post in Feb, not seen before.

All I know he is doing some redesign also new PCB for my special request PCM6.3 Signature, where he also implements now AES/EBU and XLR Analogue out and as well using WM8804 wolfson spdif receiver 24/192. This will be also some offer later on.

Just contact Abbas, he is always responsive on technical questions ;-)

Rgds
Gerald

Reactions: skids929 and Artnet

Artnet

Mar 7, 2021
Melbourne, Australia.
these DACs caught my attention. Parts look incredible, just very unclear on how the Dacs line up in terms of sound/price etc.

Hi @skids929, Don't have any insight sorry other that he has a completed version available on his store tab. Most likely single-ended RCA version but definitely worth asking him about it!
Best wishes in the decision making

Reactions: skids929

bigjako

Apr 12, 2024
Los Angeles
Hi everyone, I’ve read through this thread (thank you for the great info) and have been in touch with Abbas. First post here but I’m active on other sites under the same username. My main DAC is a Holo May KTE and my amps are a Cayin HA-300b, DNA Stratus and a Glenn OTL (headphone listening) and I’m looking for a “tubey” counterpoint to the Holo (which I love) I bought a used 0.11 SE but that didn’t work out and so I’m now speaking with Abbas and researching he forums to find the wettest, warmest, syrupyiest DAC I can find. Abbas recommended the 2.4 or the U, so I’m curious if anyone here has experience with either of those (the 1541 or PCM63) in terms of tubeyness. I have clarity and transparency and detailed covered by the Holo (which itself was an upgrade from the Yggy A2).

From my amps, I have a good selection of great 6080/6SN7 (and equivalent )/2a3 and other tubes, so I’d love to be able to repurpose my inventory towards these purposes.
I’ve also seen a lot of good opinions on the 3.2, but not sure if that represents clarity or tubey analog sweet wetness

I appreciate any direct experience you may have here, to hone in my choice. I’d like to nail the first choice.

Reactions: limberpine

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@bigjako
Given your very specific desires I’d heed Abbas’ guidance. No one will know the different DAC signatures better than he. I have the 3.2SE . It is impressively natural and “right” sonically but not “tubey” in the way you are seeking.

Yes, it is tonally full bodied and harmonically complete and rich but not in a gratuitous/colored sense. It is very honest and quite nuanced but avoids an analytical presentation. Again, utterly natural.

If Abbas understands what you want (He will) please listen to him. I can just report that the 3.2SE is a genuine music reproduction achievement.
Charles

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing