Abbas dac 2.1 se

@cal3713
Yep!
Power supply, I/V conversion, analog output stage, part selection process, I really like his approach and rationale in all of these areas. I’ve been corresponding with Abbas lately and he is very responsive.

He feels that the 4.5 V output of the 3.2 SE could be a bit much due to my 10db gain Line stage (Perhaps not a deal breaker). Trying to decide if the 2.4 SE may match better with my set-up. They are using larger output tubes in this iteration.

Big bottle output tubes is what attracts me toward the 3.2 SE among other factors. I’ll get it all figured out.Now that I’m aware of him, I’m quite drawn to his philosophy, objectives and built execution.

What he describes and attempts to accomplish is precisely what I’m looking for. In audio matters I tend to follow my gut feelings which so far have served me well. We shall see.
Charles

Reactions: cal3713
@cal3713
Yep!
Power supply, I/V conversion, analog output stage, part selection process, I really like his approach and rationale in all of these areas. I’ve been corresponding with Abbas lately and he is very responsive.

He feels that the 4.5 V output of the 3.2 SE could be a bit much due to my 10db gain Line stage (Perhaps not a deal breaker). Trying to decide if the 2.4 SE may match better with my set-up. They are using larger output tubes in this iteration.

Big bottle output tubes is what attracts me toward the 3.2 SE among other factors. I’ll get it all figured out.Now that I’m aware of him, I’m quite drawn to his philosophy, objectives and built execution.

What he describes and attempts to accomplish is precisely what I’m looking for. In audio matters I tend to follow my gut feelings which so far have served me well. We shall see.
Charles
Charles, could you, or someone else who knows, briefly describe the differences between the top model options? I've tried to decipher the model number system a few times and given up. I take it the 3.2 is the "best" or at least most expensive model? With SE and then Signature as additional upgrades? Then the 2.4 is next, again, at least in terms of price, correct?

Thanks for any clarification.

@cal3713
I believe that @jespera could do a better job of explaining than I. From what I've gathered the 3.2 is the Abbas upper level model range (SE designates use of higher quality parts, Signature the highest upgrade option). the 2.4 is their middle level performance model (With again the SE upgrade option available). Both the 2 and 3 series use the TDA 1541 multibit chip.

With the newest 2 series now being the 2.4 SE with uses larger output stage tubes (6SN7 0r 6BL7) than the earlier 2.3/2.2/2.1 models which used the smaller 5687 tube. The 3. series is the most ambitious it seems with the larger 6080 tubes and larger power supplies. the 3. series DACs weigh 16 Kg and the 2. series weigh 8 Kg.

Abbas told me in an email response that the latest 2.4SE "won't blush" in direct comparison with the bigger 3.2SE DAC. It seems that the 2.4SE is significantly improved from the earlier 2.1SE. This makes sense given that Abbas continues to make steady improvements with succeeding model updates. So, the 2.4SE is very likely closer to the 3.2SE in sonic performance than earlier 2. series models. In terms of hierarchy the 3. series is clearly the bigger and more expensive effort among his DACs. I hope this is somewhat helpful. jespera or others please correct me if I'M wrong.
Charles

Reactions: cal3713 and jespera
@cal3713
This is a reply from Abbas concerning the 2.4SE compared to the 3.2SE.

“Hi, Charles!
2.4 is quite good and does not blush in direct comparison with 3.2
In addition, it weighs 8kg instead of 16 and is much smaller.But the most important thing is that 3.2 takes several months to build and 2.4 takes several weeks!

As for different systems, it is simply impossible to predict what impression this or that DAC will make. This is a task with an infinite set of conditions!
Anyone who predicts results on the Internet is simply a dishonest person. I can only predict that my devices sound much more lively than others, have a sweet tone, good dynamics, and a very varied sound, but at the same time comfortable and not monotonous. It allows you to follow the music with joy

Regards,Abbas”

Reactions: cal3713 and Artnet
While I’m at it, his take on the better known 6SN7. DAC 2.4 option choice.

Thanks @jespera and @cal3713 .

Jespera, do you use your Abbas DACs direct to amplifier or via a preamplifier/line stage? I recognize that with the output voltage >4V it can drive power amplifiers.

I just love my Coincident Statement Line stage and will continue to utilize it. Abbas is aware of my Line stage and thinks it is a very good one.

He told me he is able to adjust the output voltage between 2.5 and 5.0 via aresistor if necessary. Personally he prefers the higher voltage range of 4 to 5 V. He said this level of output voltage provides “more energy to the sound and also a better S/N ratio.”

So obviously a compelling reason to maintain the higher voltage output. My Yamamoto DAC has 3.2V output and I have good volume control range of usage.

So either I stick with the 4.5V of the 3.2SE, or have Abbas lower it a bit. I will sort this decision out. I want to keep my Statement Line stage in the signal chain.
Charles

Ha! Now you've got me ready to buy one Charles! What is the current cost of a 3.2SE?

@cal3713
The cost of the 3.2 SE is 3,800.00 USD. and the 2.4 SE is 2,900.00 USD. I'm going to make a decision soon. I wonder how many owners use theirs with an active preamplifier versus DAC direct to the amplifier? I've concluded one of his DACs is right for me.
Charles

Reactions: Artnet and cal3713
@cal3713
The cost of the 3.2 SE is 3,800.00 USD. and the 2.4 SE is 2,900.00 USD. I'm going to make a decision soon. I wonder how many owners use theirs with an active preamplifier versus DAC direct to the amplifier? I've concluded one of his DACs is right for me.
Charles
They do not have volume controls do they? I know some people use digital volume attenuation, but I personally would be way too scared to rely on that. One small finger error, or software reset, and you could easily be at 100% and melting your speakers.

I use a line stage with my dac 3.2se and abbas phonostage. It is an icon audio la4 but it has been modded is now only an input selector, volume control and valve buffer. The power amp is a radford sta 25.

Yes there is big bottle magic which you also hear with the ef86-el84 phonostage.

Yes there is big bottle magic which you also hear with the ef86-el84 phonostage
Yes, I really believe that to be the case. I wonder how much of the “big bottle “ presentation is provided by the 2.4 utilizing the 6BL7 and 6SN7 in the output stage rather than the 5687?

I do feel that there is something special going on with those 6080 big tubes onboard the 3.2SE. this model is also well stocked with transformers and chokes. There’s something to be said about good quality iron implemented correctly that contributes to excellent sound quality.

The Abbas approach definitely veers in a different direction from what is thought to be the modern high tech method/design of High End audio upper tier DACs. Yet, this is precisely what leads me to believe Abbas is on to something genuinely special.
Charles

The Abbas approach definitely veers in a different direction from what is thought to be the modern high tech method/design of High End audio upper tier DACs. Yet, this is precisely what leads me to believe Abbas is on to something genuinely special.
Charles
Hi Charles, reading keenly your thoughts and can only concur. I also reflect on Jespera"s shoot out notes on his 3 models. All the models have something to offer.
I happily use daily my 4.1SE. Curiosity will take me to the larger format one day I hope. The big botttles from what I gather bring more music.
Its a dilemma choosing between the 2.4SE and 3.2SE but then the signature version is captivating. Is it what i need ? Cant answer that yet.
Wish you well in your choice.
Stephen

Hi Stephen,
Thanks!
1 What is the output voltage of your 4.1 SE? 2 Do you use an active preamplifier or the DAC direct to amplifier?

I think every single Abbas DAC is top quality and I know that he is proud of each and everyone of them. It becomes a matter at what price point is an individual shopping.

The 3.2SE is more expensive for legitimate reasons and has by far the longest built time schedule (2-3 months) as it’s more labor intensive.

I’m patient and would have no problem waiting for completion. I just need to decide with respect to the gain/voltage situation. I could be exaggerating this aspect I do acknowledge. Is going from 3.2V to 4.5V that big of a deal?

I can envision the signal path of
Pro-Ject RS2T- Abbas 3.2SE- Coincident Statement- Coincident Frankenstein 300b SET being REALLY GOOD!
Charles

1 What is the output voltage of your 4.1 SE? 2 Do you use an active preamplifier or the DAC direct to amplifier?
Hi Charles,
Output: 4.5v RMS (1khz,0db Full Scale)
using a passive pre. Allegri Refrerence as it has a remote
into a fantastic Thoress F2A11 intergrated. So can plug it in directly and occasional do.
Is going from 3.2V to 4.5V that big of a deal?
Best to ask Abbas

I can envision the signal path of
Pro-Ject RS2T- Abbas 3.2SE- Coincident Statement- Coincident Frankenstein 300b SET being REALLY GOOD!
The Project transport I am sure is a delight as is the rest in the signal path sounds like the 3.2 will fit in perfectly!
Dito, time frame is not critical.

“The Project transport I am sure is a delight as is the rest in the signal path sounds like the 3.2 will fit in perfectly!
Dito, time frame is not critical.”

The Pro-Ject RS2T is quite a splendid sounding CD transport, a true delight with my Yamamoto YDA DAC. If the Abbas 3.2SE is what I strongly suspect it to be, then things get even better.

I found a calculation for converting voltage gain ratio into decibels. Going from the Yamamoto (3.2V) to the Abbas (4.5V)=4.5/3.2=1.4 ratio, this will mean a 2.92 db of added gain for my system. I can live with that.

@arinet you have a very nice signal path yourself. I read nothing but terrific comments about Thoress audio components.
Charles

Last edited:
Reactions: Artnet

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing