Abbas dac 2.1 se

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@djsina2
Thanks!!!

@facten
Hi, both DACs are SPDIF RCA only. I’m aware of that Pro-Ject preference comment. Moot point for my situation.

I can just say this, the RS 2T paired with my Yamamoto is simply splendid sounding. It seems that Shegeki Yamamoto and Abbas have decided that the simplicity of RCA input well implemented is the way to go.

Could AES be better? Maybe. I can live happily with the decision of these two. The minimalist Yamamoto has been fantastic the last 12 years for me. Possibly the Abbas 3.2SE may take things further yet. I have no reservations sticking with RCA-SPDIF.
Charles

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee

Understand Charles . Like I said it was more a curiosity question as I am not familiar with either Yamamoto or Abbas DACs and if they offered the opportunity for you to try the AES/EBU connection. No reason to change direction from what you find musically rewarding. I had never considered the AES/EBU option that was available to me until a few months back and was surprised by the positive SQ improvement. Simaudio optimized that connection on its transport as well, which I confirmed with them post my "experiment". Utilizing Mojo EVO DAC , Simaudio 260DT transport and Tchernov Ref 2 AES/EBU Digital Cable in my 2nd system. Anyways, I apologize if I derailed the thread.

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@facten
It was a good question and you haven’t derailed anything. Some digital components are optimized for specific connectivity. With Yamamoto and Abbas it seems like both of them made their choice.
Charles

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@djsina2
Congratulations on your Lazarus event!
Did a part fail in the power supply? What will your 2.4SE be compared with?
Charles

Reactions: Artnet

djsina2

May 30, 2019
@djsina2
Congratulations on your Lazarus event!
Did a part fail in the power supply? What will your 2.4SE be compared with?
Charles
It was a bad transistor on the neg voltage circuit of the digital board. I’ll be comparing it with my Marantz CD-15 which is modified by Audio Tekne.

Reactions: jespera

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@djsina2
I look forward to reading your listening impressions comparison. I've hit a momentary snag trying to do an international pay pal payment. I'll get it sorted out tomorrow. Roadblocks won't deter my destiny with an Abbas DAC.
Charles

Reactions: cal3713

trinley

Dec 5, 2017
Duesseldorf
Hello everyone, I came across this thread a week ago while looking for a better alternative to my May KTE.

I decided to order a 3.2 SE and sent Abbas a request three days ago. So far I have not received a reply.
How long does it usually take Abbas to respond?

Sorry for my translator English :)
Jurij

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@trinle
Congratulations!!
I have been emailing with Abbas pretty regularly and he consistently responds within 12-24 hours. Pretty good (IMO) given the time difference between Ukraine and the Midwest USA. He did this very recently by responding to my initial order request and again to verify that he received my initial payment via PayPal.

He replied to me earlier today. For my 3.2 SE I had requested a green LED front panel light in place of the blue LED.
He also confirmed that my request for a 3.5V output is no problem and non-compromising sonically. He did say that he feels a 1V to 2V output range is not good sonically (For his DACs) and he does not advise these low levels. I also confirmed with him that I will order his SPDIF and power cables when the 3.2SE is ready to ship.I would suggest that you try again to reach him
Charles

Last edited:

trinley

Dec 5, 2017
Duesseldorf
@charles1dad
Thank you for the quick response.

I will try again.

I asked him if it is possible to build an I²S(HDMI) converter rather than a USB converter.

I have the DI20-HE DDC and have no USB output, only RCA, BNC and HDMI.
I'm not sure if this makes any sense, because his USB Converter is a reclocker too, like my DI20-HE.

If it is not recommended to use two reclockers, then I have to decide which of the two I choose.

The connection from the DI20-HE via RCA to the RCA from the DAC is maybe sufficient.

The DI20-HE sounds fantastic, I'm not sure if switching to the Abbas USB converter would be an improvement.

Jurij

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@trinle
I am confident that you will receive a reply from Abbas. I have to say, it has been a pleasure communicating with him. He has answered every question I have asked of him.

I know that digital connectivity can be a big deal in certain circumstances. Some components are built with intentional optimization for specific types of connection.

Abbas certainly seems to appreciate/prefer SPDIF. I have to believe he’s chosen this choice for a reason. It all boils down to what sounds best to him based on thorough listening evaluation.

He listens to diodes and resistors. So I have to believe that much consideration was given to connective options.

I’ve yet to read/hear of any complaints from listeners and owners, quite the contrary. So run it by him, he’ll definitely give you his sincere opinion and perspective. I’d trust his judgment as what’s better with his creations.
Charles

trinley

Dec 5, 2017
Duesseldorf
@charles1dad
Thank you for your confidence :)

I recently replaced all the power cords to Triode Wire Labs Obsession and HPDA. RCA Spirit II are burnt in right now.

Now I read on the website of Abbas what effort he makes himself in the cable manufacturing.

I am thinking about trying the Abbas cables.
My USB cable is the "Mad Scientist - Black Magic", has performed better in my system than the USB Passion from TWL.

TWL Spirit II currently have 300 hours burn-in and sound even slightly worse than my silver DIY RCA cables.
I need soon an additional power cable for the PhoenixNET switch, maybe it is worth to try the cables from Abbas.

I would be interested to know if anyone has compared any of my cables with the Abbas cables.

Jurij

trinley

Dec 5, 2017
Duesseldorf
P.S. I would like to know how significant the difference is between the 3.2 SE and Signature. For over $7000, I never want to think about another DAC. :D

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@trinle
Well, @jespera said that the 3.2SE is awesome! I believe him. So the Signature version is I assume awesome +. At double the price of the 3.2SE I have no doubt that it is Abbas’ best effort yet. I suspect that I’ll be very content with merely awesome! I can tell you that based upon recent comments, Abbas is very pleased with the 3.2SE and the 2.4SE units.
Charles

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@trinle
It has to be fantastic from A to Z. I look forward to your follow up.
Charles

Reactions: trinley

HungarianPal

Jul 18, 2020
Hungary
@charles1dad
Thank you for the quick response.

I will try again.

I asked him if it is possible to build an I²S(HDMI) converter rather than a USB converter.

I have the DI20-HE DDC and have no USB output, only RCA, BNC and HDMI.
I'm not sure if this makes any sense, because his USB Converter is a reclocker too, like my DI20-HE.

If it is not recommended to use two reclockers, then I have to decide which of the two I choose.

The connection from the DI20-HE via RCA to the RCA from the DAC is maybe sufficient.

The DI20-HE sounds fantastic, I'm not sure if switching to the Abbas USB converter would be an improvement.

Jurij
Jurij,
Which country are you from?

trinley

Dec 5, 2017
Duesseldorf
@HungarianPal
I was born in Kazakhstan, since 1989 I live in Germany. I have a Russian first name, but I am of German-Greek ethnic origin.

I thought that Abbas would not answer me, because of the awful situation in Ukraine with Russia and I have a Russian first name.

However, Abbas himself is not Ukrainian, his name is Azerbaijani origin, but he lives in Ukraine.

Nationality is not important for me, human being is what matters.

But at the moment the situation is very tense and a russian first name came to bring problems.

I hope that Abbas will answer me, I wrote to him today and informed him, that I don't live in Russia and I am not Russian.

Reactions: jespera

HungarianPal

Jul 18, 2020
Hungary
@HungarianPal

I hope that Abbas will answer me, I wrote to him today and informed him, that I don't live in Russia and I am not Russian.
Yes, I asked because of your name. If I remember correctly, he has declared that he was not going to sell to Russia or Belarus. I think he will reply to you and sell to you, though.

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@trinle
Yes, this misunderstanding of country of origin/nationality could very well explain the lack of a response to you. Abbas clearly states on his website, due to the war, he will have no dealings with Russia, Belarus or Zimbabwe. He is adamant about this.
Charles

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing