Abbas dac 2.1 se

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
The 2.4 SE and perhaps, still more, the 3 series, will bring the most affecting music to one's home, short of a live concert.

@jespera
"I also really enjoy my abbas phonostage. It was its big bottles that convinced me......"

I would like to order another RIAA stage from Abbas with a GD transformer, of which, btw, Abbas writes, "The difference is in realism and in a greater depth of immersion in music."

Please let me know the form of the RIAA stage Abbas made for you after your note "big bottles".

Which tubes are used ?
And finally, is the power supply separately housed, or all in one chassis ?
Many thanks, Paul

I think mine is very similar to yours. One chassis, ef86-el84 and a rectifier.

Clear, musical, dynamic sound. Quiet too.

Much better than my leben rs 30 eq and ear 834p phonostages. But i havent compared it directly to any other phonostages.

Last edited:

Paul49720

Oct 7, 2020
London
I think mine is very similar to yours. One chassis, ef86-el84 and a rectifier.

Clear, musical, dynamic sound. Quiet too.

Much Better than my leben rs 30 eq and ear 834p phonostages. But i havent compared it directly to any other phonostages.
Thank you for confirming.

The Abbas replaced a ten year favourite phono stage inbuilt to my Croft preamplifier. That machine sounded very nice with large 6336B rectifier valve, off board dual mono p/s and vintage long plate Mullard ECC83s. The Abbas is more involving.
There is an Abbas RIAA for sale in Canada, for which the seller notes "it does not embarrass itself alongside a Dave Slagle RIAA, a many times more costly device".

Reactions: jespera and cal3713

gerihifi

Sep 5, 2022
Germany, Hamburg
To all Abbas DAC owner:

What is your prefered (best in your chain) Abbas DAC source to listen with?
1. Streaming bridge (SPDIF)
2. Music server (USB to SPDIF)
3. Music server (SPDIF)
4. CD newer transport (SPDIF)
5. CD vintage transport (SPDIF)

Thx for sharing!
Gerald

Artnet

Mar 7, 2021
Melbourne, Australia.
What is your prefered (best in your chain) Abbas DAC source to listen with?
5. CD vintage transport (SPDIF)
No 5. is my pick. DAC 4.1SE to CEC TL51XR (vintage? 20 years old and modded)
This is it for the moment, bearing in mind that everything is temporary and all things must change. :)
TL1X is in the garage for servicing awaiting an encounter with a 3.2SE

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
5: abbas modded maranz cd 94 is clearly the best

I also listen a lot to qobuz through

1-2: roon nucleus -> google wifi -> auralic g2 -> abbas usb-spdif -> abbas dac 3.2ae

and

1: -> hifiberry digi+ pro -> abbas dac 2.1se 4.1se

Reactions: gerihifi and Artnet

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
Mine is an older unit I had the power board recapped and the Lampi hack done on the SPDIF out. Vastly improved it and worth while if you have a good tech handy.
Running mine on the 4.1SE (PCM58) is a different kettle of fish again to your 2.4SE. My feeling is its a good synergy but as a transport isn't going to compete with either the vintage Marantz or the newer transports that charles mentioned. Its enjoyable however and will eventually have my TL1X upgraded before buying new which will eventually happen.

Are the lampi hacks, the ones mentioned here?

Reactions: Artnet and gerihifi

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
If someone could just make streaming sound as good as cd ….

Why can that be so hard?
Interesting question. I do not stream but many who do say it equals CD playback or even exceeds it in their audio systems.

I can understand the convenience and accessibility argument for streaming. With regard to pure sound quality performance it is and always will be an individual subjective determination.

I can truly state that physical media (CD disc) sounds divine in my system. I’m looking forward to seeing where the Abbas DAC takes me from this juncture once it’s placed in my audio system.
Charles

Last edited:
Reactions: facten and cal3713

gerihifi

Sep 5, 2022
Germany, Hamburg

Why can that be so hard?
Streaming is the most esiest part in electronics ;-) Also long, long time well established (just audio industry plays like it is a new world)!

The big game/difference starts in the digital to analogue domain..filters, output stage.
Another big pain is Software itself and SDKs you rely on Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz ...buffering HiRes streaming is also trivial and doesnt need audiophile-ssd for €1k :) ...done in memory..

Looking at my modified Lumin Mini U2 with Ferrum Hypsos via Weiss 501 SPDIF - it is extremly good. Had several much higher end streamers, but most of them lacking on the DSP or output stage side, or crappy control app (I dont like Roon, nor UpnP). The money I'd safe for proper LAN setup, power conditioner and cables ;-)

Using LUMIN app for Qobuz + offline modus, as well buying albums and connecting them via good external SSD attached to Lumin (so funny how many times I read, you cant here offline with streaming services..).

Dont use WLAN, enough interference on power grid with all this crappy chargers. Direct LAN to the Internet breakout. Yes, I'm using some Audio-grade LAN Switch for Lumin and Weiss - so in my chain. Very good synergy and I'll never ever go for Roon, Audirvana..upsampler Software.

Music server like Antipodes, Taiko, Grimm Audio etc are for me a waste, besides you are someone ripping anything & everything on disk and loves oversampling every title. Shit in, shit out - than go for better source records ;-) Also dont wanna waste time during music listening to find the best output filter...

CD is different, Vinyl is different - every source has his own sonic!

Last edited:
Reactions: Artnet

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
Wow!!!
@gerihifi
After reading your reply it makes me more inclined to continue to spin the discs.
1. One good CD transport.
2. One good digital cable.
3. One good DAC.
You’re done and can simply enjoy marvelous music playback in your home.

In all candor, I know that many enjoy and prefer streaming music in their own systems. I’m just in no hurry to join the crowd at this point and time.

Redbook 16/44 is superb with the appropriate hardware set-up.
Charles

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
Wow!!!
@gerihifi
After reading your reply it makes me more inclined to continue to spin the discs.
1. One good CD transport.
2. One good digital cable.
3. One good DAC.
You’re done and can simply enjoy marvelous music playback in your home.

In all candor, I know that many enjoy and prefer streaming music in their own systems. I’m just in no hurry to join the crowd at this point and time.

Redbook 16/44 is superb with the appropriate hardware set-up.
Charles
For me, the only argument for streaming is music discovery.

And the benefits of having millions of songs directly at your fingertips, and the ability to carry that library with you everywhere you go, cannot possibly be overstated.

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Anyone compare their Abbas dac to heavy hitters like rockna wavedream sig, holo may or msb select ?

Artnet

Mar 7, 2021
Melbourne, Australia.
I am unsure if they will ever sound the same as has been said.

Fully agree with this statement
For me, the only argument for streaming is music discovery.

It is largely unexplored for me, but of interest for hard to get recordings as well as new. Possibly convenience but I enjoy the analogue rituals.
I will start with a hifiberry and Abbas usb convertor. Time line ahh, next year or did I say that last year, then go either Lumin or Auralic maybe.

Why can that be so hard?

Agree with @gerihifi on the point of Audio Router / LAN switches, power conditioner cables.

Reading up on the subject, as much as my interest and intelligence can hold me. I hear running multiple switches can benefit.
So I run two LAN switches after the House modem and router for Graphics PC and HT use and keep separate from the audio.

The first is an old office HP gigabit thing with internal LPS with optional Fibre out. Then a Renolabs router with internal power supply and OCXO clock. The benefit of both to image quality and sound are definite. (Good for those Abbas videos and DAC comparisons!! Thxs)
Both of these powered from a conditioner with reasonable quality power cables.

Passive USB filter from Intona and the LAN from SILENT ANGEL the BONN N8 interest me and feature in the hypothetical shopping cart, but there is alot out there to try.

The G2 is spoken well of particularly for its wifi connection and have read some who have made some simple(?) adjustments to improve on it.
Generally I would avoid Wifi so I dont know that it will help but certainly an interesting outcome for this mans G1 experience.

Lots of extra boxes and then some more, not leaving out the exotic cables required as long as it reduces the Jitter :)

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
Anyone compare their Abbas dac to heavy hitters like rockna wavedream sig, holo may or msb select ?
See post# 45 by @Samsoum. He’s also compared to the APL DAC in his audio system but hasn’t provided his listening impressions.

@jespera has done direct comparisons with Audio Note 3.1DAC and the LampiZator B7 ML II.
Charles

limberpine

Oct 14, 2021
On the streaming front, that's all I do to my Abbas. I use Bubbleup on my phone to stream to my Raspberry pi running Moode, USB to Abbas USB/Spdif converter, SPDIF to Abbas 4.0 DAC. ( Abbas USB and SPDIF cables) Sounds ethereal.

I A/B the Abbas SPDIF converter with an Audiophilleo 2 with pure power and I prefer the Abbas converter.

If there was a way to run I2S to an Abbas, that might make it better, but at this juncture, I'm not sure how much more there is to get.

This all was crystallized for me after going to a local audio show and listening to many different systems. I was excited to hear things that would move me and give me a path to upgrading. This largely fell flat, even when listening to CD systems and other streaming systems at the show.

I demoed a custom horn setup at home, that on some levels outperformed my La Scalas, which will be my next project to build and bring another level of detail and realness to my setup.

My 2 cents

gerihifi

Sep 5, 2022
Germany, Hamburg
not sure if outside Europe everyone gets latest news on Ukraine, but last days the bomb the country pretty heavily & randomly!
Also around Kiew where Abbas is living (Vasylkiv). So he wrote me today, his is fine (using diesel generator to have power).

..just a shame, this ru*** clown!

HungarianPal

Jul 18, 2020
Hungary
not sure if outside Europe everyone gets latest news on Ukraine, but last days the bomb the country pretty heavily & randomly!
Also around Kiew where Abbas is living (Vasylkiv). So he wrote me today, his is fine (using diesel generator to have power).

..just a shame, this ru*** clown!
It's good to know he's OK. God save them all.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing