Acapella Spharon Excalibur Loudspeaker

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
This looks like an amazing system in a gigantic room! Note the one-of-a-kind David Berning ZOTL SET amplifier.

8CD4A850-5A0B-4FF1-B83C-3CE8CCC213E1.jpeg

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Why don't we have more discussion about Acappella horn loudspeakers here?

I've heard only the smallest Acappella models at shows. (I like the plasma tweeter, even if it can sound a bit "hot." As long as the tweeter level can be turned down I'm happy with it.)

Has anyone here heard the Triolon or this Spharon?

This is purely vile speculation but I bet I would like this Spharon over the Trio G3 with basshorns.

Last edited:

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Why don't we have more discussion about Acappella horn loudspeakers here?

I've heard only the smallest Acappella models at shows. (I like the plasma tweeter, even if it can sound a bit "hot." As long as the tweeter level can be turned down I'm happy with it.)

This is purely vile speculation but I bet I would like this Spharon over the Trio G3 with basshorns.
A mightly looking pair of horn transducers there Ron and I suspect that I might well share your predilection , rather concerned about the requirement for incontinence seating tho !

Don Reid

VIP/Donor
Nov 14, 2020
Please don't think of me as one who spends time picking fly defecation out ot the black pepper, but these appear to be a hybrid system that includes horns. Horn bass is icing on the cake and can not be duplicated by direct radiator woofers.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
If not Trios I would probably have Acapellas Apollon.

First time I enjoyed very much Acapellas with plasma tweeter in Munich 2014 with Einstein amps and TT with wooden arm, this system together with Trios/Vitus setup ( and Berning pre if I am not mistaken) impressed me most.
In 2019 in Warsaw I had a talk about Acapellas but finally I decided to get Trios LE 26 .

Attachments

• 1F988368-3C4A-4681-88EA-4E88264D976C.jpeg
    1F988368-3C4A-4681-88EA-4E88264D976C.jpeg
    564.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France

I listened to the Triolon quite extensively, but it was a while ago (i.e. pre COVID). The presentation is ethereal and remarkably fast -- i.e. the attack & the swings are, subjectively speaking, immediate and this covers most of the FR, i.e. including cellos IIRC. The lower bass is effortless (I mean: the sound is free of the enclosure, it's not as if the speaker is working hard to produce the lower frequencies) but slightly lumpy compared to the rest -- and I admit I am nitpicking. My anecdotal takeaway was that there is sound in the room and there are two constructions as well -- but the two are not necessarily related. The sound seems to exist in the room regardless of the speakers

The room was big (± 40m2) and we listened to, among other things, Mahler of course. The sense of scale was good enough. Amplification used, a pair of KR 211, slightly modified Symphonic Line Kraft 250 stereo, Airforce 1, Leben phono; and the wiring was Nordost.

Having heard the Trio
baseborn in an very early iteration, years ago, I think the scale is much larger with the Av/de. But I don't remember this amazing "airiness" for won't of a better word with the A, i.e. I knew I was listening to a speaker -- an outstanding speaker, no doubt, but a speaker nonetheless. AFAI remember the Triolon X was unmatched in that respect. Regards

Reactions: marslo

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing