Advent 100A Dolby B noise reduction.

Since this thread has been resurrected, I just want to share my recent experience with the Dolby B tapes. I have some Dolby B tapes from Stereotape, Ampex (DGG recordings) and Barclay-Crocker. Interestingly, most of the squeaky tapes I have encountered are Dolby B encoded (Ampex and Stereotape). The older tapes from the 1960s do not suffer from this problem, so it could be due to a change in the tape formulation during the 1970s. Liquid silicone took care of the problem. I also find that the Dolby tapes are more prone to crosstalk, probably because they were transferred at a higher level. One tape of Pollini Chopin Etudes (DGG) made by Ampex has obvious pumping during the quiet bits, which is frustrating because the louder pieces sound great. I am using the Nakamichi NR-200, and some Barclay Crocker tapes can sound excellent. Overall though, I find it is unnecessary to use Dolby for these 4 track tapes. I have some non-Dolby tapes that sound astoundingly good, with very little noise and excellent dynamics.
Hi adrainywu,
Unfortunately, I have a couple of Barklay Crocker 4 ch tapes, and although they sound astounding (compared to their age), I do need to use Dolby B to eliminate the tape hiss on my Dokorder 8140. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
I don't have any crosstalk (maybe because I have my headstack aligned) but the hiss is apparent during the "quiet" parts of the symphonies.
Sincerely,
John Graham

Hello,
Unfortunately the HiFi Engine doesn't have the owner's manual for the 100A, only the service manual. Here is a link to Keith Snook's excellent web site with the complete, three part, article in Wireless World explaining the operation (including calibration) of the Dolby B noise reduction system. Dolby Laboratory was fairly controlling in how each licensed manufacturer would develop their commercial units and how they would function. In other words, if you understand how one company's Dolby B was setup then the method for everyone's else's followed the same arrangement. Anyway here is the link:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing