Air Force One Set Up - tips n' tricks

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
I have a lot of kharma with my tts Steve :(. I dont want to say how many time I had issues with my Kronos, not just Techdas.

Tang

I guess I'm lucky then since I have never had any problems with the KRONOS. Although we haven't had it very long it has been to many shows and have been very fortunate and problem free:)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I guess I'm lucky then since I have never had any problems with the KRONOS. Although we haven't had it very long it has been to many shows and have been very fortunate and problem free:)

It makes me wonder that David is indeed correct in his suggestion about power surges in Bangkok because no-one else is having problems

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It makes me wonder that David is indeed correct in his suggestion about power surges in Bangkok because no-one else is having problems

It is a not easy to diagnose, as these problems are usually sporadic. Sometimes they are due to transients caused by start/stop of electrical equipment in the house. Refrigerators and old air conditioning systems are usual offenders. Unless we have a transient recorder/analyzer to connect the mains, the best way of checking is introducing a good power conditioner or regenerator and waiting to see if reset re-happens.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

As I said it’s my Karma. I also have not heard of such problem from other users in Bangkok. The incidents were specific to me. And My dealer always took care of me really well when problems occurred.

Tang

Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

+1 here.

Trouble free, ours and our clients.

I'd investigate a regenerator, like ddk suggested. You can go cheap, like a PS Audio, or nicer, like an IsoTek. I've used both, and as it's been mentioned, their hability to provide a stable 50/60Hz will make your turntables much happier :)

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
As I said it’s my Karma. I also have not heard of such problem from other users in Bangkok. The incidents were specific to me. And My dealer always took care of me really well when problems occurred.

Tang

Dear Tang,
Controller board problems aren’t unique to you and do happen, my own AF1 couldn’t keep speed and would continuously hunt until the ps was replaced. Try a UPS and call TechDAS directly if that doesn’t fix your problem, they’re usually very responsive. Same for your Kronos if it continues to give you problems. Sorry about your troubles, they can ruin the fun.

david

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear Tang,
my own AF1 couldn’t keep speed and would continuously hunt until the ps was replaced.

This was happening to me too apart from the motor died at play incidents. There were a few times that speed kept trying to lock in at 45 but couldnt. I tried adjusting the belt tension and now no problem.

I think I stop talking about this. Dont want to get the parties involved jumpy and defensive.

Tang

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
This was happening to me too apart from the motor died at play incidents. There were a few times that speed kept trying to lock in at 45 but couldnt. I tried adjusting the belt tension and now no problem.

I think I stop talking about this. Dont want to get the parties involved jumpy and defensive.

Tang

when the feet lose air and or the belt loosens, you will need to reset belt tension. This happens with my AF1.... Won't lock on 33 or 45 rpm and the speed display flashes a speed and lock is not displayed. All is well with more air in the feet and a belt tension adjustment procedure executed.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
when the feet lose air and or the belt loosens, you will need to reset belt tension. This happens with my AF1.... Won't lock on 33 or 45 rpm and the speed display flashes a speed and lock is not displayed. All is well with more air in the feet and a belt tension adjustment procedure executed.

totally agree

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The Air Force one is so stable that I could mount the SME 3012R while the SME V was playing ...

The AF1 is ideal for anyone wanting a turntable without surprises - every thing seems well though and it is a marvel to set and operate. a1.jpg

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Tang

The unit will shut down if the start/stop buttons isn't pressed within an hour or so. It is a safety feature that protects the pumps and can be defeated inn the menu. Some people don't stop the platter. The better option come to think of it is if the feature was centered around the vacuum button. Even if an owner chose to keep the platter spinning, he's sure to hit the vacuum button.

I love your AF1P Micro!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The unit will shut down if the start/stop buttons isn't pressed within an hour or so. It is a safety feature that protects the pumps and can be defeated inn the menu. Some people don't stop the platter. The better option come to think of it is if the feature was centered around the vacuum button. Even if an owner chose to keep the platter spinning, he's sure to hit the vacuum button.

I love your AF1P Micro!

IMHO the timer is a great feature and extremely useful. The fact that the motor reaches the speed in a reasonable time is great - we can stop the platter when changing the LP. I dislike dropping LPs in spinning platters - I had to do it in the Forsell with the air bearing flywheel as it took more than one minute to reach a stable speed and really hated it.

Although for most classic music I still prefer the Vivaldi stack, jazz sounds really great with AF1 . I have been mostly in a diet of jazz LPs for the last days - it is great how the AF1P gives an extremely solid and realistic reproduction of free jazz complex recordings of labels such as hat ART or Soul Note or just the classics of jazz. The sad story is the the damn expensive expensive tungsten clamp operates wonders in the sound of the AF and became mandatory in the system.

BTW, although it is clearly written in the manual , it should be enhanced in capital bold - the controller only goes in STANDBY two minutes after the button is pressed!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Fransisco, could you describe the differences you hear between your 9" SME V and the 12" SME 3012R on this AF1P? What cartridges are in each arm? Also, why do you prefer the sound of classical LPs on the digital Vivaldi stack?

After some time I found that the differences were mostly due to the cartridges - the SME 3012R had a much better one, the Sumiko Palo Santos, the SME was using a vintage Lyra Clavis rebuilt by van den Hul. The Sumiko has much better dynamics than the old Lyra.

The listening was inconclusive and I did not insist as I am not interested in using the SME V in the AF1P - it is being replaced by a SME 3009-R today, as the SMEV was needed urgently in the SME30. Perhaps at a later time I will try it again.

My preference for the digital in classical music is mainly due to the better low bass performance, absence of compression and ability to handle complex dynamic situations. Although the AF1P brings vinyl closer to master tape stability than my previous turntables, the Vivaldi stack playing DC and SACD's still surpasses it - and brings more information to the stage. Surely there is sometimes something apparently more comfortable and appellative in vinyl, but not more real IMHO.

Anyway, the AF1 has helped me to confirm that the Achiles heel of my current system is the playback of digital files - I have now ordered a Taiko Audio Extreme server.

As always, IMHO, YMMV.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thanks Fransisco. Yes, cartridges can make a big difference. I had no idea that you have these two SME 30 and AF1P tables plus various arms and cartridges. Beware the Kedar from London who may contact you asking to do various comparisons. I don't recall his opinion about the Vivaldi stack, nor of any SME tables.

Classical does sound very good on Al M.'s digital system also, though he does not have the large scale, full range Wilson XLF's.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tang,
do you have a power conditioner, like the Burmester, regulating the power voltage etc.?
best
E.
No I don't. I don't have much voltage swing. Only problem with snakes causing my building cutout to trip a few times.

Tang :)

airbearing

May 2, 2012
Munich - Germany
guess you have the right weapon...
as an analog fan a power conditioner is good for clean current, on analog and digital. Also establishing the correct voltage - but you are stable

best
E.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Air Force One Premium owners can smile - M. Fremer enthusiastically approved it. Great review in Sereophile!

"It's as much reliable test instrument as supreme carrier of unassuming musical pleasure" in his opinion.

And he still did not listen to the SAT in it! ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing