Alexx V arrive in NJ

Well, maybe someone, Marty, his dealer, needs to reconcile why two such components don't seem to work together. I mean, an IPhone and the wrong charger is one thing...but amps and spkrs topping out at $240k...

Well, maybe someone, Marty, his dealer, needs to reconcile why two such components don't seem to work together. I mean, an IPhone and the wrong charger is one thing...but amps and spkrs topping out at $240k...
Mark
I don't think that's a reasonable expectation. In my view there is no fault of the dealer here at all. How could it be? To begin, the dealer I bought the amps from didn't sell me the Alexx V. How the heck is he supposed to know what that combo sounds like? Conversely, the dealer who sold me the speakers doesn't carry CH so unless he reads tea leaves or heard the combo anywhere, he is faultless as well. In fact, when I ordered the M10's back in February there were none in the US at all! Perhaps I should have sought the advice of a medium but all I had at my disposal was reputational input based on a few highly regarded reviews about CH amps and positive results from some owners I respect. In other words, the burden and onus was completely on me, nobody else. I thought the combo would work. It didn't. What I thank my lucky stars for is working with a dealer, Elliot G, who told me up front if I didn't love them, he would buy them back. And that's exactly what Elliot did. How rare is that? That sure doesn't happen when you buy something on Audiogon or ebay!

BTW, the amps and speakers do not top out at 240K. The amps are about 200K and the speakers are 135K. There's a term for that. It's called a very expensive mistake. (Actually, half a mistake- the speakers knock me out with the Parasound JC1+, perhaps there's more greatness to come...). Nobody else that had anything to do with this is the idiot here, except me. And, by the way, it was a risk I fully accepted before buying the amps sight unseen (or unheard). Caveat emptor.
Marty

Mark
I don't think that's a reasonable expectation. In my view there is no fault of the dealer here at all. How could it be? To begin, the dealer I bought the amps from didn't sell me the Alexx V. How the heck is he supposed to know what that combo sounds like? Conversely, the dealer who sold me the speakers doesn't carry CH so unless he reads tea leaves or heard the combo anywhere, he is faultless as well. In fact, when I ordered the M10's back in February there were none in the US at all! Perhaps I should have sought the advice of a medium but all I had at my disposal was reputational input based on a few highly regarded reviews about CH amps and positive results from some owners I respect. In other words, the burden and onus was completely on me, nobody else. I thought the combo would work. It didn't. What I thank my lucky stars for is working with a dealer, Elliot G, who told me up front if I didn't love them, he would buy them back. And that's exactly what Elliot did. How rare is that? That sure doesn't happen when you buy something on Audiogon or ebay!

BTW, the amps and speakers do not top out at 240K. The amps are about 200K and the speakers are 135K. There's a term for that. It's called a very expensive mistake. (Actually, half a mistake- the speakers knock me out with the Parasound JC1+, perhaps there's more greatness to come...). Nobody else that had anything to do with this is the idiot here, except me. And, by the way, it was a risk I fully accepted before buying the amps sight unseen (or unheard). Caveat emptor.
Marty
Marty,

This demonstrates that Elliot is an exceptional dealer, but also that you are an exceptional customer for him.

Marty, wonderful post. You have my full respect, as does Elliot. It seems that synergy is, unfortunately, crucial in audio. I have been where you are before, but did not have the benefit of dealing with a dealer such as Elliot.

I want to thank you for documenting this journey. After the frustration you went through with Soulution and then the mismatch with CH I really hope you eventually find something that provides the bass control of the JC1+ and the mids/highs that your system deserves.

Elliot, you are a class act.

Mark

Marty

Excellent post and respect to both you and Eliot

I would say it is unfortunate that one cannot biamp Wilson speakers. One can config CH amp to provide different feedbacks to bass and mid/treble drivers.

Reactions: christoph
Marty, you do know tubes might not work with it?

Well, the good thing is you know for sure these Parasounds work for sure w your Wilsons. The Q is, do they work for you and your tastes?

I would be on board for a California to Utah/Colorado field trip to include ddk's sanctum sanctorum, which is one of the systems that arouses my audiophile curiosity. If any Cali-philes decide to do that, could share the driving.

[DELETED DUE TO POLITICAL]

I would also like to hear an Alsyvox system, as a long time planar lover.
Of course, to hear an Alsyvox system the best place (in my not-so-humble opinion) is Rhapsody Out West (what I am calling my listening room) up here in the Portland neighborhood, but there is a RLR in Palm Desert that has Alsyvox you could visit on your trek to Utah.

Everyone who has listened to the Botticelli X in my room has remarked they register in the top few of speakers / systems they’ve heard. Audiophiles ought to hear them, they are very special indeed.

I m quit curious what that may be.

I hope marty will test Halcro and Pilium as well for us .
Real world testing :)

Another solid state candidate i d be eager to hear personally is Karan acoustics
ok, let the record show that you started it. ;)

i know of a guy who owned the Wilson Alexx (reviewed them) and now owns XVX's (reviewed those too) who likes the dart 468's plenty.......Mr. Fremer. he's sampled a few amps. some local Seattle friends were there a couple months ago doing some electrical work and were amazed at what they heard. one of them just bought a dart 108 amp to replace his tubes.

and there's this guy Jacob Heilbrunn who's got the big WAMM's who likes the 468's too. he has a big room. we are waiting for his review. but a phone call could be arranged.

seems like a trend.

Marty could drive to hear both in a day.

the 468's are also around 2 bills (the big one's) and Michael and Jacob seem to like the bass weight. i know i do not have flabby bass. it has zero global feedback but finds a way. why mess around?

just say'n.

Last edited:
I would say it is unfortunate that one cannot biamp Wilson speakers. One can config CH amp to provide different feedbacks to bass and mid/treble drivers.
What I suggested pages ago :D

Reactions: bonzo75 and rando

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing