All New Clarisys Audio Minuet Loudspeakers !

Bingo, from the reviews this pig can sing and dance.. ;-)

Reactions: Bbock
Behind my present speakers on the wall I have acoustic treatment. I suppose with these speakers I would need to take those absorbers down?
Also, it looks like the speakers are set up for bi-wire does it come with the jumpers?

ozzy

Behind my present speakers on the wall I have acoustic treatment. I suppose with these speakers I would need to take those absorbers down?
Also, it looks like the speakers are set up for bi-wire does it come with the jumpers?

ozzy

I've had panels for years so no rear wall treatment - I would remove said acoustic treatment...

ozzy

With planar dipoles, regarding the question of whether to absorb the back wave, to diffuse the back wave or to keep the back wave intact, in my opinion (owning a variety of planar dipoles continuously since 1988 and to the present day) there is no rule of general applicability. It depends upon the length of the room, the distance between the speakers and the front wall, the natural reverberation time currently in the room, subjective sonic sound-staging preference, subjective delay time preference between the arrival of the front wave and the arrival of the reflected back wave to your ears, and subjective tonal balance preference.

With the electrostatic and magnetic planar speakers I had previously I did not use absorption or diffusion. With the ribbon dipoles I have presently I have been experimenting with absorption.

I hear the Clarisis Minuets as having a natural tonal balance devoid of the brightness I hear from many contemporary loudspeakers. If I had them, based on prior personal preferences with similar designs, I likely would not have any treatment behind them. But there is no way to predict this in advance of hearing the actual speakers in your actual room and applying your actual personal sonic preferences.

It would be interesting to know the Clarisis designer's preference on this question.

As a practical matter you might not want to take down that acoustic treatment in advance. You could install the speakers with the existing acoustic treatment and see (ah, hear) how you like the sound. It might be great as it is!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the help. So, I think I will start off with the acoustic panels removed.
Can anyone share as to how difficult it is to assemble these speakers? I'm 70 (still in good shape) and I will have my son-in-law helping.

BTW, I have a Minute set on order!

ozzy

I think I will start off with the acoustic panels removed.

What kind of acoustic treatment do you have on the front wall?

ozzy
Jumpers are included on the Minuet, but of course you may want to try others also.

Thank you so much for the help. So, I think I will start off with the acoustic panels removed.
Can anyone share as to how difficult it is to assemble these speakers? I'm 70 (still in good shape) and I will have my son-in-law helping.

BTW, I have a Minute set on order!

ozzy
Congratulations! I’ve heard the easiest way is to turn the shipping crate upside down so the bottom of the speaker is on the top. Slide the base on, tighten, then turn the the speaker/crate to the upright position and slide out

I’ll be helping the audio store set up both the Minuets and Studio Plus.

Last edited:
So presently I am using Stillpoint Aperture ll's. I have 7 of them between the speakers and at 1st and 2nd reflection points. I also have ASC 20" diameter tube traps in the room corners.
So, what can stay and what should go?

And yes, please keep me informed as to how to set up the speakers.

ozzy

So presently I am using Stillpoint Aperture ll's. I have 7 of them between the speakers and at 1st and 2nd reflection points. I also have ASC 20" diameter tube traps in the room corners.
So, what can stay and what should go?

And yes, please keep me informed as to how to set up the speakers.

ozzy
Ozzy, I’m not going to be able to help with the acoustic panels since I don’t currently use any. Even though I’ve owned Apogee Scintilla’s and now Maggie 20.1s, my room is shaped enough with a couple of large openings that I haven’t heard a discernible benefit. By all accounts the room shouldn’t work as well as it does. I’ve taken A- and C-weighted frequency response measurements with the Maggie’s and will be able to compare them with whatever I buy once they’re broken in. Even though that comparison will be interesting, it will all come down to what I actually hear.

The placement of the new speakers will start where my current ones are now. I’m not expecting much of a difference in the final positioning since I’ve good luck with my other panel speakers, but in reality, who knows?

I will let you know about setup.

Last edited:
Bbock,
Thank you please keep me updated.

Also my room is 17x25 x8 foot ceilings.

ozzy

Last edited:
Ron Resnick,

Thank you!
I will start with removing the Absorbent panels that are directly behind the speakers on the front wall. But I will keep the ASC tube traps in the corners and the Stillpoints Apertures in the center and on the 1st and 2nd reflection points.
As you said, I can always remove them later.

ozzy

I've owned dipoles for years. I found the safest bet was diffusion which allows for the speakers to be a bit closer to the front wall while avoiding any deleterious effects from rear panel beaming.

Reactions: christoph
sbo6,
Do you think I should use ASC bass traps in the corners?

ozzy

I defer to our technical members, but, to me, "nominal" in this context just means typical over most of the frequency range.

Ozzy, I am not familiar with those amplifiers specifically, but, in general, I think 350 tube watts will sound wonderful on Minuets!

Thanks Ron,
I just posted the Impedance question in the speaker section. (Although I don't see it posted yet).

What does Nominal Impedance mean?​

What does Nominal Impedance mean?
I’m trying to decide on some new speakers (Clarisys Minute). They are rated at 86-88 sensitivity and a nominal impedance of 3.5 flat. Although graphs show it about 6 ohms from 20hz-500hz and at 2Khz and above about 3 ohms.
My present speakers, Focal Sopra 2 are rated as 91 sensitivity and 8-ohm nominal impedance, but minimum is 3 ohms.
So, I am presently using Bob Carver 350 amps (rated as 350 Amps/channel 8 ohm and 400 watts /channel 4 ohm) which are tube mono blocks. and I like to crank it up at times!
Can someone explain about Nominal Impedance and if my amp(s) will have a problem driving the Clarisys Minute speakers?

ozzy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing