Am I alone in leaving my Pass Labs Amp on 24/7/365 (Except During Storms)?

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Hello,

I'm curious if any other owners are doing the same thing or not? I'm in the camp who believes power cycling is worst/harder on equipment than just leaving it run at all times but I'm open to hear thoughts on why this may be a bad idea.

I haven't really crunched the numbers yet to see what the long term costs will be by doing this but I suspect its no worse than leaving a space heater running 24/7.

My expectation is that my amps (XA60.8's) will last 20yrs before needing a rebuild under these conditions. Am I expecting too much? Anyone have a pair they have been running for a long time on a almost constant basis? If so, how long?

Thanks

Reactions: 3rdRock

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
I turn mine off/on every day. I don't worry about the cycling. My power cost is $0.25/kwh, or $3.60/day for my X260.8's to idle, or $1315/year! I can think of many better things to spend the money on, not to mention the guilt I would feel for being so environmentally irresponsible if I left them on 24/7.

Last edited:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Since I only use my good stereo on Friday and Saturday night, I turn the amps on Friday morning, and off when I retire Sunday morning.

Karlos5000

Sep 26, 2018
Ann Arbor Michigan
XA30.5 user. I turn on before listening and off before bed. I do hear improvements afer 30 minutes of warming up but they are subtle and do not prevent good listening in the first 30 minutes.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I really enjoy my XA160.5s . I usually turn them on a few hours before listening and then turn them off when done. In the Winter, I may leave them on for the whole weekend or a bit longer and I do turn off the heat in the listening room. These monos are space heaters which effects my use in the Summer. I turn them on just before listening, and off immediately when finished. I often leave the windows open in the Summer just to cool off the room. They add roughly $30 to my monthly electricity bill.

My XP22 and XP27 are left on all the time.

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
XA30.5 user. I turn on before listening and off before bed. I do hear improvements afer 30 minutes of warming up but they are subtle and do not prevent good listening in the first 30 minutes.

I too have a XA-30.8 in my city system, and agree completely with your remarks.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Interesting information...Thanks for the replies.

I'm a bit confused on actual cost per day/month..etc for running these amps. My monthly electric bill doesn't nearly reflect what the math tells me it should be. But I'm sure its me doing something wrong.

According the the documentation for the Pass XA60.8's at idle they pull (400W/3.3A) per mono block. According to a recent electric bill my cost per kWh is $0.0715.

800w per/hr X 24hrs/1000 = $19.20 per Day or $576 @ 30Days

My electric bill is only $200

Something is off, but I'm not complaining : )

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Doah...looks like I see the error in my math. I forgot to multiple the cost per kWh after the Monthly cost figure...

So it looks like I'm at $41.20 per month or roughly $494 per year to run these puppies 24/7

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
"According to a recent electric bill my cost per kWh is $0.0715."

Where do you live? It seems you are in one of the lowest cost states. When I add in all the miscellaneous additional charges on my PG&E (Calif) bill, divide by the usage, mine is $0.25/kwh!

Residential electric rates in 2018:
https://www.chooseenergy.com/electricity-rates-by-state/

Cyclotronguy

Aug 31, 2012
N. CA
As we look all the way back to the very first Pass Labs / Aleph-amps of early '91 we don't see any particular difference in reliability or mortality between those that have been in industrial service running 24/7 and those at home that are turned on and off on a regular basis.

Kent English
Technical Support
Pass Laboratories

Reactions: cjf and Ed.P

zog

Oct 8, 2013
I leave my 150.8s on all the time. The benefit is no waiting time for warm-up.

RickS

May 23, 2018
NW Indiana
I was leaving my freshly Pass Labs refurbished X250 I just got a week ago on all the time and could steadily hear improvements from day to day. But the last couple of days I shut down at night and fired it back up after work and, apparently it’s still breaking in and improving while in standby.
This amp has turned out to be a real treat for me.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
I use to own an X250, in fact it was the 4th Amp I ever owned. It was great indeed. Funny thing was, a few Amps before the X250 was an Adcom GFA555II which I also loved (and beat the hell out of).

It was only later on that I realized Mr Pass had a hand in creating the Adcoms. It all made total sense later :)

Reactions: RickS

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
The damage is only to your wallet. After they have been on about 3 hours they most likely are fully warmed up and I would expect little if any further sonic benefits.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing