Amati Homage help

sootshe

Sep 21, 2019
Hi all,

Just acquired a mint pair of Amati Homage speakers circa early 2000. Serial number is 459.

Reading all the reviews & specs it says that this is a 3 way crossover speaker design. With that in mind, I would have thought that the 2 bass drivers were wired together & would produce the same level of bass from each driver.

When I listen closely to each of the two bass drivers, I find that there is distinctly more lower bass coming from the bottom driver than the upper bass driver. It's like this speaker has a 4 way crossover.

I have spoken with Sonus Faber via email but their response is very vague, due to their limited use of English language, but I think basically they are saying that my speakers have a different crossover in them than the traditional 3 way crossover.

Can anyone throw any technical information on this subject? Do my speakers have the right crossover in them or do I need to change something in the crossover?

They seem completely mint condition & certainly don't look like they have ever been modified in any way whatsoever.

Regards,

John

Attachments

• Amati Homage 1.jpg
    Amati Homage 1.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 30
  • Amati Homage 7.jpg
    Amati Homage 7.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 28

broadaudio

Dec 20, 2019
John, your top woofer is probably shot. It is only moved by the internal air pressure created by the bottom woofer. It is working like a passive radiator now. I have also sent you a PM with more details.

Reactions: andromedaaudio

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
I’m not an expert of the Amatis, but it was always my understanding that one woofer handles the complete bass spectrum, but gets extra help from the second woofer for the lowest frequencies.

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
Hi all,

Just acquired a mint pair of Amati Homage speakers circa early 2000. Serial number is 459.

Reading all the reviews & specs it says that this is a 3 way crossover speaker design. With that in mind, I would have thought that the 2 bass drivers were wired together & would produce the same level of bass from each driver.

When I listen closely to each of the two bass drivers, I find that there is distinctly more lower bass coming from the bottom driver than the upper bass driver. It's like this speaker has a 4 way crossover.

I have spoken with Sonus Faber via email but their response is very vague, due to their limited use of English language, but I think basically they are saying that my speakers have a different crossover in them than the traditional 3 way crossover.

Can anyone throw any technical information on this subject? Do my speakers have the right crossover in them or do I need to change something in the crossover?

They seem completely mint condition & certainly don't look like they have ever been modified in any way whatsoever.

Regards,

John
you need to contact Bill Peugh for accurate information. He is formerly Sumiko’s SF rep and is a fountain of SF knowledge and history. His user ID here is metaphacts.

Anerol

Sep 29, 2012
Yverdon-les-Bains, Switzerland
Hi John,

being a former AmatI Homage owner I am just curious if your problem was resolved. Given the very low bass they deliver I wouldn’t be surprised if the lower woofer just transmits the very low frequencies.

ASRMichael

Feb 20, 2020
Hi, does anyone know if Sonis Faber Amati homage drivers are glued to the cabinet? I see there’s screws on front.

I am looking to replace the internal wire & add a grounding post, but the guy that is going to do it said he’ll only do it if the drivers are not glued to the cabinet.

Thanks in advance

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
It's been almost a year from the OP, did you get a satisfying answer?

What could be happening may be that your speakers have a 3.5 way crossover (top woofer rolling off naturally without crossover parts and bottom woofer only reproducing the very last frequencies of bass). It certainly makes sense considering the response that Sonus Faber gave you (different crossover than a 3 way but not a 4 way...3.5 way, duh).

sootshe

Sep 21, 2019
It's been almost a year from the OP, did you get a satisfying answer?

What could be happening may be that your speakers have a 3.5 way crossover (top woofer rolling off naturally without crossover parts and bottom woofer only reproducing the very last frequencies of bass). It certainly makes sense considering the response that Sonus Faber gave you (different crossover than a 3 way but not a 4 way...3.5 way, duh).

Since this post I've had further correspondence from Sonus Faber & they confirm that the crossover in this model is a 3 way crossover.
I've done further listening tests & what I have found is that when I place my ear close against the lower bass driver, I can hear the full bas reproduction, but when I place my ear against the upper bass driver, the bass doesn't seem as strong. I have found that this has been caused by me also hearing the sound coming from the mid driver at the same time. You don't hear hardly any of the mid driver when you listen with your ear close to the lower bass driver.

I have played some bass heavy material through the speakers & the cone movement from the woofers is identical from both woofers. Also, I've played some test tones (20 Hz, 35Hz, 50Hz, 80Hz) & the sound & output from the woofers is identical.

In response to ASRMichaels query, I can say that I removed the woofer from my cabinets to check them & they were not glued to the cabinet. Don't know if that holds true for all models though or even different production dates. Suggest you try to gently remove them yourself & see what you discover.

luvmusic

Nov 18, 2020
I just registered to reply this thread. It seems I'm in the same boat. I finally fount out the top woofer is not working at all. I took it out and tested, the coil is open circuit. The woofer is not glued, remove the screws and just left it carefully from a corner with a piece of flat plastic tool that used to fix cars. I have contacted my local dealer and I'm waiting for their reply if the replacement is still available from SF.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing