Amazon just may have killed Tidal!

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
Amazon released Amazon Music Unlimited HD for $12.99 per month for Prime members starting today!

CD and High Rez (24 196) quality. 50 million songs! 10 million in ultra HD.

90 day free trial.

I just set up a few minutes ago.

I downloaded the iOS and Mac computer apps.

More in a few days after I explore the service.

Last edited:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
How many of these streaming services do we need, especially when they all offer different artists. If there was one service that offered all songs in at least CD quality then I might try it, but as of now I will continue to buy CDs and download high-res files. I already have more music than I can ever listen to.

Reactions: valkyrie

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hopefully it will kill Spotify, not Tidal. Or at least make Spotify come up with an HD-level as well.
The less MP3-quality music out there, the better for all of us.

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
I am waiting for them to integrate with ROON before I jump.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
All I care about is the end result as to what hits these ears. The rest will just settle the way it will...

Tom

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
All I care about is the end result as to what hits these ears. The rest will just settle the way it will...

Tom
I just hope it does not kill Qobuz and then Sound inferior:eek::rolleyes:

Reactions: nonesup

asindc

Sep 27, 2012
I am waiting for them to integrate with ROON before I jump.

This. Also, I will wait and see if they offer comprehensive hi-rez streaming at least on par with Tidal or only use it as a platform to sell CDs and downloads like Apple does with its music service.

Vicov

Apr 25, 2019
I’m pretty sure their target is Apple & yes there may be some collateral damage outside of that focus but we the consumer can be the beneficiary of a (potential) price war.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
What's an inexpensive, decent sounding piece of hardware to stream (digitally) from my computer to my audio system? Also, I assume there's an app that I can use to access this via an iPad. Any info appreciated.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
I’m pretty sure their target is Apple & yes there may be some collateral damage outside of that focus but we the consumer can be the beneficiary of a (potential) price war.

I think the collateral damage will be the artists and in the end us end users, I will stick to my physical copies.
I have a NAS server full of music, I have not played anything off it in years.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Maybe at first the consumer can be the beneficiary but after the cut-throat competition is over and the competitors are gone, the Price will rise considerably :(

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I think the collateral damage will be the artists and in the end us end users, I will stick to my physical copies.
I have a NAS server full of music, I have not played anything off it in years.

Your stance regarding the artists is honorable but you would help them even more by Streaming additionally because your files are only paying the artists once, when you bought them ;)
But it IS nice to have a lot of local files (and/or physical media) on hand in case of emergency :p

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Your stance regarding the artists is honorable but you would help them even more by Streaming additionally because your files are only paying the artists once, when you bought them ;)
But it IS nice to have a lot of local files (and/or physical media) on hand in case of emergency :p

Do you know how many streams they have to have before they get a single penny? Besides streaming does not interest me, I like to have my physical media. I pay my money upfront and I own the media. I think most artist would rather have my £20 upfront for the album, rather than get that £20 in bits over the next say 10 years of me streaming that album.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
As is said, I like to have both :cool:

Vicov

Apr 25, 2019
Do you know how many streams they have to have before they get a single penny? Besides streaming does not interest me, I like to have my physical media. I pay my money upfront and I own the media. I think most artist would rather have my £20 upfront for the album, rather than get that £20 in bits over the next say 10 years of me streaming that album.

I respect your stance on streaming, its your money & you spend it as you wish but your post prompted me to do a bit of digging on the internet. (I'm a pensioner & have nothing better to do).

As a rough guide, an artist will receive 10% of the revenue per sale (minus packaging & promotional costs).
There is a lot of conflicting information & pseudo data on the web relating to streaming revenues. This is the best that I could come up with.....
20% of streaming users will buy more albums than they did before they adopted streaming.
55% of users will discover new artists because of streaming.
Streaming is used almost equally by both male & females whereas that proportion is skewed heavily toward male for hard copy purchases.

We will always buy music, there is no doubt about that but the old ways of music promotion is long dead, music pluggers, payola on the radio, rigged charts etc & the media savvy artists are pushing to get their music onto the premium streaming sites for wider exposure. Greater exposure brings with it sales, promotional tours, live gigs & sponsorship opportunities.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Hi Vicov when I said when I pay £20 for an album the artist get’s the money, I did not mean the artist get’s all of that £20. I meant the artist will get whatever the percentage they are meant to get, but they will get it in one go upfront not over say the 10 years I use as an example before.

For me anyway I hear a music I like somewhere I will go and check it out on some sort of a stream to see if it’s worth getting the album. Streaming and short clips on say amazon is all I need to have a taster before I buy a physical copy.

With streaming you only have that music as long as they have the licence from that label.

One thing I have seen lately is Disney is coming out with their own streaming program platform, they have said once the stuff they licenced out to other companies like say Netflix they will pull the content and have it just on their own platform. Disney has a lot of content & once they start to pull it, what will people do? Subscribe to multiple streaming sites, goto where the content is? ect. I buy my DVD’s hence I will always have those films shows etc to watch.

Vicov

Apr 25, 2019
I get it & we are singing from the same hymn sheet but the world turns & the music industry turns with it.
One of the primary reasons for me moving to streaming was the ever increasing prices of cd’s. I have had this album on my Qobuz playlist for a while & I want to buy a hard copy but not at these prices....
7A052360-ED25-4891-9D4B-AFCA207D5D67.png

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I get it & we are singing from the same hymn sheet but the world turns & the music industry turns with it.
One of the primary reasons for me moving to streaming was the ever increasing prices of cd’s. I have had this album on my Qobuz playlist for a while & I want to buy a hard copy but not at these prices....
View attachment 57101
:eek::oops::rolleyes:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing