Amazon just may have killed Tidal!

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
If it's not integrated with Roon then I'm probably not interested. I have both Qobuz and Tidal integrated under Roon and it is slick.
Exactly the same here.
But I'm sure roon will integrate Amazon if it will become a (if not THE) key Player.
It has been quite a long time without a major update from roon, maybe that is the reason :cool:

Last edited:

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
Exactly the same here.
But I'm sure roon will integrate Amazon if it will become a (if not THE) key Player.
It has been quite a long time without a major update from roon, maybe that is the reason :cool:

This topic is being hotly discussed on the Roon Community Forum:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/integration-of-amazon-music-high-resolution/68649/152

Some people say that Roon has only a 100,000 customers and Amazon does not care about them.

I haven’t looked at the way Amazon streams but it would have to be easy for me to stream from my Mac Mini to my Aqua Formula DAC. Is there an app?

Reactions: christoph

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I love my Qobuz!

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Reactions: Vicov

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
If Amazon kills Tidal, won't it also kill Qobuz? I mean $7 is 1/3 the cost of the other two. Amazon has been complicit in killing the retail scene, it would be consistent in it's napalming of the opposition ethos to extinguish the streaming competition too.

I love my cds (and vinyl).

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
If it kills Qobuz and Tidal it would invariably bring down Roon as I see no benefit for Amazon to link up with Roon.
My other issue with Amazon is once again provenance. How do we know we are getting the true hi-res in Ultra HD and not some upsampled lower rate?
I suspect it will develop like TV streaming with certain labels on certain platforms and we’ll have to have numerous accounts.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
If Amazon kills Tidal, won't it also kill Qobuz? I mean $7 is 1/3 the cost of the other two. Amazon has been complicit in killing the retail scene, it would be consistent in it's napalming of the opposition ethos to extinguish the streaming competition too.

I love my cds (and vinyl).

Exactly. Kill retail, then open retail stores yourself, and degrade your online service to save some extra cash (2 day delivery is a joke now).

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Same here :cool:
I prefer Q over T soundwise :eek:

Yes, for some reason, Qobuz sounds consistently better than Tidal. But Tiday is still useful and fun, and worth the $20/month.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Looks like a great choice for consumers

Amazon webservices
In 2018 reaching $32.4 billion, up from $24.7 billion in 2017 with Amazon Web Services (AWS) once again being the top vendor, owning nearly half of the overall public-cloud infrastructure

Amazon Web Services

Through Amazon Web Services (AWS), Amazon’s cloud computing service introduced in 2006, companies can create scalable big data applications and secure them without using hardware or maintaining infrastructure. Big data applications like clickstream analytics, data warehousing, recommendation engines, fraud detection, event-driven ETL, and Internet-of-Things (IoT) processing are through cloud-based computing. Companies benefit from Amazon Web Services by using them to analyze customer demographics, spending habits, and other pertinent information to more effectively cross-sell company products in ways similar to Amazon. In other words, these retailers can use Amazon to stalk you, as well.

Why Vivendi Is Selling 50% of Universal Music Group
UMC control almost 50% of the global music market This really sets the cat amongst the pigeons. Following months of rumours that suggested French media giant Vivendi would spin off UMG into a separate entity via an IPO, the Bollore owned company have instead announced they will be selling off 50% of the company within the next 18 months. major parties are amazon

How low prices could make for an antitrust case against Amazon
- A theory of ‘predatory pricing’

In the late 2000s, diapers.com and its parent company Quidsi had built a limited but successful e-commerce business selling on amazon — until Jeff Bezos called them in for a meeting. As reported in Brad Stone’s 2013 book, The Everything Store, Bezos tried to buy the company — and when they refused, began rapidly dropping Amazon’s diaper prices, including under a newly launched Amazon Mom product. The new venture was a disaster for diapers.com. As Quidsi saw it, the only way to sustain those low prices was by selling diapers at a loss, which Quidsi estimated to be as high as $100 million every three months. Quidsi’s customer base plummeted and, after a bidding war with Walmart, the company finally sold out to Amazon. As Stone suggests, the sale was made “largely out of fear” that Amazon would drop prices further

A new report claims that seven Amazon workers have died on or near the job since 2013. The report was compiled by National Council for Occupational Safety and Health, a private nonprofit worker advocacy group, which named it as one of their "dirty dozen" companies. The labor can be so grueling at Amazon that one worker in Kentucky said she needs four pain meds just to get through the workday.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I am not so convinced when it comes to Tidal's or Quobuz's demise. Big fun myself. Amazon Music is growing significantly. It is indeed offering CD quality now, but it mostly competes with the big two, i.e. Spotify and Apple music. Tidal, Quobuz and Deezer have already built a strong high-quality brand, unlike Amazon, who is joining the Hi-res competition just now. Moreover, as previously mentioned, every platform has a different offer, so unless Amazon is going to incorporate into its system all of Tidal's/Quobuz's offer it is unlikely for them to disappear.

Reactions: Vicov and Holli82

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
This topic is being hotly discussed on the Roon Community Forum:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/integration-of-amazon-music-high-resolution/68649/152

Some people say that Roon has only a 100,000 customers and Amazon does not care about them.

I haven’t looked at the way Amazon streams but it would have to be easy for me to stream from my Mac Mini to my Aqua Formula DAC. Is there an app?

Yes......ditch your Mac Mini, and use a Bluesound Node 2i . The Bluesound app is decent and you can control it from your Smartphone or IPAD.

Cheers.....

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I'm doing the 90 day trial and I like it a lot, however it's only worth $5-6/month to me. I don't use it that much. Yet to see any actual hi-res files...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing