American Idol: lasting one season too long

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Bill Cosby in his incredible HBO special years ago talks about how he wanted a boy and instead got a girl. And how in a moment of desperation, thought that if he blew hard enough.... OK, you have to watch the episode :). But such was with me. Until I finally broke down and got cable for our vacation house, we had an antenna feed with just a handful of broadcast stations. So like Bill Cosby, in a moment of desperation I set up a recording for American Idol. I have to tell, I was not remotely prepared to hear the not-talented contestants and even less talented judges who would give better advice on eating a hamburger than being a vocal talent. I mean listen to how this contestant opens her tune in the "top 5" show:

Are you kidding me? Is the world this untalented that we have to listen to this? She seems to think to be a singer, you just need to pretend to look like one. Mind you, she actually tone and style I like in female signers. But seems to have had zero training or ability to be trained as I am sure they have had vocal coaches courtesy of Fox network for the entire season. And she still can't hold a note and be in tune?

And who told her to kneel down in the fog? What woman looks more attractive doing that? The "suffering" act seems to be the only act these people know but even that they screw up. Isn't there someone left in the production crew that could have told her to not do that in the rehearsals? Maybe not as I suspect no self-respecting expert would want to have this abomination on their resume.

Been thinking about posting about his for the last few days and I got prompted by the best reason: Fox announced next year, will be the last season for the show as it has fallen from 30 million viewers to 10 million. Next year? Please, please, cut it short now and save us the embarrassment for putting out this type of entertainment show.

To think that J Lo was paid $18M to be a judge of this atrocity back in 2013 no less just adds insult to injury. The only thing she ever says, actually what the three judges say is, "feel the words as you sing it." I don't recall J Lo ever singing anything that required her feeling the words she sang! Pretty sure people don't watch her for that!

Thankfully there is some oxygen in the room in the form of the The Voice. The show has incredible production qualities and clearly screens their candidates before they even get to the show trials. Here is a great example of the super talented 16 year old Sawyer Fredericks:

American Idol has gone on 5 years to long. In fact IMO American Idol died a quick death once The Voice debuted. As you said the singers are screened before they even reach the stage and the judges are so much better as they serve as mentors to those on their teams. What a hokey bunch of judges with JLo, Harry Connick Jr and Keith Urban as they poke fun at the contestants or outright humiliate them (worse when Simon Cowell was a judge).

The Voice is where it's at and Idol has long overstepped its welcome

Just looked- I gave up in Season 7. Wow, can't believe its still on. Talent had gone down the drain back then.

Won't miss something I have never watched 5 seconds of.

Bill Cosby in his incredible HBO special years ago talks about how he wanted a boy and instead got a girl. And how in a moment of desperation, thought that if he blew hard enough.... OK, you have to watch the episode :). But such was with me. Until I finally broke down and got cable for our vacation house, we had an antenna feed with just a handful of broadcast stations. So like Bill Cosby, in a moment of desperation I set up a recording for American Idol. I have to tell, I was not remotely prepared to hear the not-talented contestants and even less talented judges who would give better advice on eating a hamburger than being a vocal talent. I mean listen to how this contestant opens her tune in the "top 5" show:

Are you kidding me? Is the world this untalented that we have to listen to this? She seems to think to be a singer, you just need to pretend to look like one. Mind you, she actually tone and style I like in female signers. But seems to have had zero training or ability to be trained as I am sure they have had vocal coaches courtesy of Fox network for the entire season. And she still can't hold a note and be in tune?

And who told her to kneel down in the fog? What woman looks more attractive doing that? The "suffering" act seems to be the only act these people know but even that they screw up. Isn't there someone left in the production crew that could have told her to not do that in the rehearsals? Maybe not as I suspect no self-respecting expert would want to have this abomination on their resume.

Been thinking about posting about his for the last few days and I got prompted by the best reason: Fox announced next year, will be the last season for the show as it has fallen from 30 million viewers to 10 million. Next year? Please, please, cut it short now and save us the embarrassment for putting out this type of entertainment show.

To think that J Lo was paid $18M to be a judge of this atrocity back in 2013 no less just adds insult to injury. The only thing she ever says, actually what the three judges say is, "feel the words as you sing it." I don't recall J Lo ever singing anything that required her feeling the words she sang! Pretty sure people don't watch her for that!

Thankfully there is some oxygen in the room in the form of the The Voice. The show has incredible production qualities and clearly screens their candidates before they even get to the show trials. Here is a great example of the super talented 16 year old Sawyer Fredericks:

Totally agree. Idol is weak, The Voice is strong. I have my money on the "Phreak" Sawyer Fredericks.

Idol must really be dying. I see that their stage is now just a bit larger than the season 1 stage. LOL. Yes it jumped the shark a long time ago. I think only one or two of the alumnus from the last 5 or 6 years have charted.

The Voice has the built in advantage of having only working musicians as contestants. They are scouted then invited.

Won't miss something I have never watched 5 seconds of.
Unfortunately I've watched more than a few seconds. Reality shows of any type IMHO I consider a waste of bandwidth. Obviously I'm in the minority.

Unfortunately I've watched more than a few seconds. Reality shows of any type IMHO I consider a waste of bandwidth. Obviously I'm in the minority.

MeTV actually advertises that they are a "Kardashian Free Zone"

Cant do "reality TV at all.

There is only one true reality show that has ever been on television, Married with Children! :p;):D

Idol was done after season two. I only watched a couple episodes.

The voice is leagues better, actually can watch it if need be.

Media outlets have scored big that the masses have fallen for these scripted "reality" shows. Their expenses are pennies on the dollar to having to produce quality programming.

Frankly, All these shows suck.

there is so much great new music out there that has been written by the people/bands actually singing the songs, I wonder why anyone watches these shows.

Then again my wife and daughter love Dance Moms - go figure ;)

I am with you here. Although I watch about two hours of TV with my wife each evening, I have never watched a reality show. I have no desire to see people losing weight, having their house rebuilt, getting off an island, racing around the world, Donald Trump, dancing, singing contests, etc. So there are more than a few of us.

Frankly, All these shows suck.

there is so much great new music out there that has been written by the people/bands actually singing the songs, I wonder why anyone watches these shows.
Because it is only 50% for the music. The other 50% is because it is a competition/sport. Why would anyone watch multi-millionaire football players??? I am sure they sing worse than these people :D. We watch sports because of the anticipation of the outcome. Same is true here if well done. You develop your favorites and wonder if they are going to make it to the next show.

There are also non-talent type reality shows that are nice. One is Pawn Stars. Same anticipation of what something is worth but highly educational and great history lesson in every episode. Even my 20 something son will sit there and watch it. Ditto for my wife, neither of whom will say they like such shows.

You are motivating me to create a thread for the handful of reality shows I do watch. Some have literally been life changing for me. OK I exaggerate some :D. But will explain more in the other thread.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing