Amp Isolation Recommendations

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I'm using A36. The sound is noticeably affected by the number, size, and placement of O-rings underneath, which dampen the ringing. I didn't like the result when the plate was super damped (via the knuckle test), and it did take a while to settle on the "right" configuration. The benefit of the steel plate approach - any steel plate - is having the flexibility tune the result.
Funny, I was told steel didn’t ring at all when I considered doing this under my TT.

Dentdog

Jan 5, 2014
Atlanta
I don't know where you are located however I just added some EVP's to my system and they are wonderful and cheap, especially before 12/31 as there is an increase coming. They work and I also suggest you try them under your speakers ( yes I The EVEVPam not crazy this is amazing) The prices for these go from about 45/105 dollars each this year. You can see them and what you need at avroomservice.com
The EVPs doubled in price to $200ea just as I was about to order.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
The EVPs doubled in price to $200ea just as I was about to order.
The EVPs are a joke at $200 ea. They are very good decouplers but do little to absorb, dissipate, or tune internal component resonances (there is either felt or rubber between the EVP and component chassis). Norm Varney says isolation is all you need. My ears tell me different.

Last edited:

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
High River, Alberta Canada
I suppose the cheapest is an Ikea bamboo cutting board. Some people say they make a notable improvement. I personally like the Symposium platforms but they may exceed your budget?
I have used the Ikea bamboo cutting boards under quite a few pieces of equipment, although I haven't used them under a turntable. While they are likely not a threat to the state of the art platforms or some of the interesting DIY projects already described I find them quite acceptable. They are inexpensive so try them if they appeal to you.

I had an old Target stand hidden away in the closet so I thought I would try it under my amp. It seemed quite solid but i was worried that it might ring, it didn't seem to but I added the Ikea bamboo block anyway. I found the addition of the bamboo block a positive addition. I would like to say it was transformational, it really wasn't but for whatever reason everything sounded nice and that worked for me, lol.

Attachments

• IMG_1907.jpeg
    IMG_1907.jpeg
    591.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1916.jpeg
    IMG_1916.jpeg
    616.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

kroslos

Feb 7, 2015
Naperivlle, IL
What about using some granite slabs under my amps? We just had our kitchen redone and I have quite a bit of leftover granite - 1 1/2" thick slabs and quite beautiful; however, I'm not sure if using this under my amps will provide any appreciable difference. Thoughts?? Anyone else tried this?

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
What about using some granite slabs under my amps? We just had our kitchen redone and I have quite a bit of leftover granite - 1 1/2" thick slabs and quite beautiful; however, I'm not sure if using this under my amps will provide any appreciable difference. Thoughts?? Anyone else tried this?
Granite is not the best material to use. By itself it rings. With decoupling feet (e.g., Herbie's Audio Lab) or damping sheet under the granite slab you would have a rudimentary isolation platform. You will also need resonance draining/dissipating/tuning feet between component chassis and the granite isoation platform.

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
I haven't tried granite as an amp stand but it could be worth a try as you already have the slabs.

Some seemed to be concerned with it ringing. I am using granite with a damping pad under my BrinkMann turntable and using the knuckle rap test the best I get is a dull thud. Perhaps all granite is not created equal, I remember years ago I believe it was Discwasher marketed a faux granite platform with rubber footers, it was a terrible thing!

Anyway, if your granite passes the rap test to your satisfaction I would say try it. If it seems to work you could refine it with the appropriate footers etc.

Republicoftexas69

I have used the Ikea bamboo cutting boards under quite a few pieces of equipment, although I haven't used them under a turntable. While they are likely not a threat to the state of the art platforms or some of the interesting DIY projects already described I find them quite acceptable. They are inexpensive so try them if they appeal to you.

I had an old Target stand hidden away in the closet so I thought I would try it under my amp. It seemed quite solid but i was worried that it might ring, it didn't seem to but I added the Ikea bamboo block anyway. I found the addition of the bamboo block a positive addition. I would like to say it was transformational, it really wasn't but for whatever reason everything sounded nice and that worked for me, lol.
IKEA Cutting boards are great.

Last edited:
Reactions: AudioHR

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

1 1/2" thickness is a reasonable thickness - granite is known to ring and sound poor in stands or turntable plinths in thinner slabs. We can't separate material properties from the dimensions of the object being considered. But I found that amplifier stands performance depend a lot on the amplifier - IMO you must try it to know if it pleases you!

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Granite has crystalline structure, try sandstone or slate is layered rock absorbs resonances well. But please, 3cm thick plates too thin plates don't sound balanced. Around 100€ 60x40 cm 1840cf09-075b-4979-a7ef-fa1a0e148d3c.jpeg s-l1600.jpg
It is best to protect against dirt and liquids with stone oil. Otherwise there are ugly stains that are difficult to remove.

Last edited:

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
1 1/2" thickness is a reasonable thickness - granite is known to ring and sound poor in stands or turntable plinths in thinner slabs. We can't separate material properties from the dimensions of the object being considered. But I found that amplifier stands performance depend a lot on the amplifier - IMO you must try it to know if it pleases you!
I would agree, nothing ventured nothing gained!

If you didn't already have the granite there are likely better materials or isolation systems you could consider. Since you have it I am assuming it wouldn't be to difficult to move the slabs into position and put the amps on top. The granite would be heavy and maybe it needs some work on it to be suitable. Only you can judge whether it is worth the effort...or for that matter the result.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'll have to find another way to repurpose our excess granite.
Bear in mind one of the most venerated isolation companies, Harmonic Resolution Systems, has used Granite as part of its shelving for decades....they combine them with elastomers, etc. As an owner of their shelves, I have to say they are absolutely amazing. You might even choose to get their nimbus couplers and use them if you choose to utilize your granite. Just a thought.

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
Granite has crystalline structure, try sandstone or slate is layered rock absorbs resonances well. But please, 3cm thick plates too thin plates don't sound balanced. Around 100€ 60x40 cm View attachment 117135 View attachment 117136
It is best to protect against dirt and liquids with stone oil. Otherwise there are ugly stains that are difficult to remove.
I remember a previous discussion on slate vs granite. My plan is to eventually try a slate slab under my turntable. Thanks for the reminder!

Reactions: DasguteOhr

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I remember a previous discussion on slate vs granite. My plan is to eventually try a slate slab under my turntable. Thanks for the reminder!
Good choice...You won't regret it, I promise;) 20230924_225001.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Interesting...our entire audio rack was designed by a cabinet maker who is an audiophile: shelves are 3" thick 21-layer birch ply, with sufficient shelf height to allow each component to sit in an 'isolation sandwich' like HRS underneath and damping plates on top...and then the entire rack sits on top of a 2.5" thick slab of slate.

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
Bear in mind one of the most venerated isolation companies, Harmonic Resolution Systems, has used Granite as part of its shelving for decades....they combine them with elastomers, etc. As an owner of their shelves, I have to say they are absolutely amazing. You might even choose to get their nimbus couplers and use them if you choose to utilize your granite. Just a thought.

Absolutely!

I am trying a granite slab with a damping pad under my BrinkMann turntable because the manufacturer recommends granite especially in the form of a HRS platform . I was interested to see how a heavy duty slab of granite would work under the Bardo.

A fellow audiophile friend has the HRS stand, it is very visually impressive and his system has great resolution likely due in part to the excellent foundation and isolation.

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing