Amplifiers for 3.7i, what's your suggestion?

Big Dog RJ

Feb 3, 2012
Melbourne
Thanks Tao, I'm doing fine down south. A bit tad cold though, waiting on the new house to be built with better heating / cooling functionality...

Speaking of which- yes those earlier VTL's were quite sluggish, lacked transparency and definitely hardly inner detail. For dynamics and slam though it was plenty and generated quite a lot of heat (good for winter but not for tropics!) I had the Manley 350's- called the VTL Designer's Reference Series, built at the old VTL factory 1990, prior to the VTL/Manley split up. These were driving a pair of MG3.5/R's, with a CJ PFR as the preamp. However, in terms of musicality, my previous CJ Premier 11A, rated at just 70w of stereo power, beat these big monoblocks hands down!

I really don't know how Roger S comes up with his design but for that performance to price ratio, this is one of those products that beats many high-end contenders to dis-belief! Spending probably 30-40 grand would generate more refinement / accuracy, I wouldn't know. One thing for sure is that the Magtech is definitely not given enough recognition. If it had tubes or at least if Roger had placed some tubes in the background, I would have bought two of them!

I am very passionate about the musicality factor, not so much on power output at all, hence why I like and enjoy tubes and their after glow during late night sessions. However, unlike most SS gear I have listened to, this Magtech doesn't have any of that SS glare/harshness/brightness or any graininess whatsoever. It also sounds very warm as it runs in for a while and I think Roger mentions to leave them on... go figure!
They are extremely well designed and run cool. I guess like Bob Carver and Arnie Nudell, Roger is a legend in design and these guys know about high fidelity, and the way original music is sourced on recordings. That is why their gear has a solid feel, with a certain weight and powerful presence.

It is sad that Roger doesn't incorporate tubes in his amps but that he has better reasons for omitting tubes, and I know why.
Anyway, to those who own Magtech's- cheers for one superb amplifier with not only plenty of power on demand but also plenty of "musicality" on demand.
RJ

Aug 12, 2010
Castle Rock, CO
Try a pair of Carver Black Beauty 350 mono blocks. Six KT120 output tubes per side. They are powerful beyond belief, they never ever strain or fail regardless of playback levels, all the while pumping out plenty of that ‘tube magic’ which draws me towards tube gear in general. They are not as extended on the top as many of the better SS amps, but through the middle they are much more ‘organic’ and rich sounding with excellent micro and macro dynamic capabilities. If you gravitate towards tubes you will like the 350’s.

Mar 3, 2018
I have received my Magnepan 3.7i. I have connected them with Jeff Rowland Model 625. It's fabulous !

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have received my Magnepan 3.7i. I have connected them with Jeff Rowland Model 625. It's fabulous !
I just received my 3.7i's as well last week. They are driven by a stereo Jadis PA100 rated at 150w. Ample power to drive Maggies. Previously I have 2.7s driven for a long time by ARC VS115, they were ok until the move the the PA100 sounded like the power was doubled. They say Maggies love power and to hear it is to believe it. :)

Big Dog RJ

Feb 3, 2012
Melbourne
Jeff Rowland amplifiers with maggies, that's a superb combination. It takes the performance of the Maggie's to another dimension, which you wouldn't experience or expect from maggies until you try it.

Cheers Hk-foufou, enjoy those fine tunes!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high-end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing