Antipodes CX+EX

DeMarko

Mar 27, 2020
Parsons, did you make your comparisons running Tidal / Qobuz or from the CX's SSDs?

BTW, I would definitely pay attention to that CX - EX ethernet cable. Could be a huge return for the moderate money invested. Knowing how much musical info is lost with digital cables, e.g. coaxial and USB, I understand that this is a critical area. I am more or less happy with the USB, but ethernet cable inbetween CX and EX and everything upstream of the server should definitely be further looked at. CX and EX are super servers, there's a lot that can still be gained and heard from them.
See what lengths people went to experimenting around Taiko servers. It's not clear what's optimal just yet, good SFPs only, adding a switch or 2, external clocks or not. I don't like too many boxes idea either due to cost and new problems that got to be solved. I like the 2x SFPs idea only, and maybe adding one switch with a good built in clock with a good power supply. Good ethernet cable (or cables?) is key, good USB cable to the DAC is key. Optical and DC cables... not clear yet.
I ordered a top DC cable from Ghent audio, haven't experimented yet.

Sound of Tao, what switch did you end up with, Melco? Which LPS? Happy ? :)

swatello

Apr 17, 2020
DeMarko,
I mean that i have tested at home Sonore OpticalRendu with Tidal/Qobuz,
I didn’t try other method but Sonore is good device with adequate price. But, Cx-Ex combo has another level also with online Tidal/Qobuz streaming.
It’s looks like quantum computer with superior accuracy on high frequency, more natural pitch and tonal balance.

Parsons,
I am sure that you will really surprised with other good ethernet patchcord from Cx to Ex,
I have tried only one - RAL, but For sure, it’s a big step from standard Antipodes cable (included in box)

Reactions: DeMarko

Parsons

Mar 31, 2018
Ohio
Fair statement, I just am drawing a line for myself as I dislike too many boxes. As of now I have:

CX to EX to M Scaler to Chord Dave to Amp. I feel like if I keep adding any more boxes I will go insane.

Even if audio was better, at some point for me personally I need to draw a line.

Of course this is likely unpopular opinion as better audio is always better.

You drew a pretty high line with those 4 boxes, so I guess I don't blame you! I am at a point too where I'm less interested in messing with (this part of) my system...this is a rare point for me!

Parsons

Mar 31, 2018
Ohio
Parsons, did you make your comparisons running Tidal / Qobuz or from the CX's SSDs?

BTW, I would definitely pay attention to that CX - EX ethernet cable. Could be a huge return for the moderate money invested. Knowing how much musical info is lost with digital cables, e.g. coaxial and USB, I understand that this is a critical area. I am more or less happy with the USB, but ethernet cable inbetween CX and EX and everything upstream of the server should definitely be further looked at. CX and EX are super servers, there's a lot that can still be gained and heard from them.
See what lengths people went to experimenting around Taiko servers. It's not clear what's optimal just yet, good SFPs only, adding a switch or 2, external clocks or not. I don't like too many boxes idea either due to cost and new problems that got to be solved. I like the 2x SFPs idea only, and maybe adding one switch with a good built in clock with a good power supply. Good ethernet cable (or cables?) is key, good USB cable to the DAC is key. Optical and DC cables... not clear yet.

I tested with both Qobuz and local files.

OK, I take back what I just posted a second ago...you all have convinced me to upgrade the network cable between the CX and EX. That didn't last long!

Parsons

Mar 31, 2018
Ohio
BTW, I think the EtherRegen fed optically, and powered by a decent linear supply, was a pretty noticeable improvement upstream from the server, with and without the Antipodes. And I was already using optical network isolation before I added that device.

Aside from RAL, what other ethernet cables are folks super happy with in the Antipodes chain? I am happy with the SOTM, but I haven't compared it to others really.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

I have the Sotm switch and have been using a Kingrex linear psu. Yes, I am really happy with these but replacing the kingrex with a dual rail Vinshine Psu partially because I have another Vinshine psu on my pre and it is great but also because by using a dual rail psu I free up one more Shunyata pc for duty in another setup.

My focus now is other areas of my system (tube upgrades for my pre and amp) as I’m happily signed off on (almost) all of the source.

Final parts of the source puzzle... I have a Wireworld Platinum Ethernet cable in bound for the front end going out from the CX (should be here in a week or so) and then just one more (slightly longer) run of Ethernet cable to upgrade (from modem to Sotm switch) yet to be determined. Will wait till the WW Plat is in play to make that call.

DeMarko

Mar 27, 2020
Parsons, you made me laugh, thank you ! And for the info, of course.
So it's Netgear switch, optical out -> optical cable -> EtherRegen, optical in, with linear power supply -> SoTM Ethernet cable -> Antipodes CX. Right?

Parsons

Mar 31, 2018
Ohio
Yes, that's exactly right. I messed around with Sonore Optical Modules and some less expensive ones from Amazon while I was back-ordered for a few months on the EtherRegen, and while I think those yielded some sonic improvements, I think the EtherRegen surpassed the others in terms of lower noise floor and improved dynamics and soundstage once it was fully broken in.

cczer017

May 9, 2020
Hi All,

I am also an owner of the Antipodes Solution, have been since xmas 2019

So what else is in the chain, well....

SOtM snh-10g internal upgrade clock/evox caps etc
SOtM sps500 PSU
SOtM Cat 7 Ethernet > CX
HiDiamond USB1 > Aqua La Scala Optologic DAC from EX
All components use HiDiamond Diamond 3 Powerchords

The ethernet cable connecting the CX and EX is nothing special. Would adding an SOtM Cat 7 in between help?

Also, Ive just changed the sps500 to a FARAD Super 3 Linear PSU with Synergistic research orange fuse....and streaming sounds amazing!!! I would say that it now more impressive than stored files on the SSD. I still need to upgrade the DC cable so its going to be even more impressive when I do. I highly recommend the FARAD Super 3

Oh, I also use the HqPlayer which is a great addition for the money.

Any other recommendations to add to the chain?

Thanks for reading

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
This is my current chain, I added the switches, ISO Cat6 and the Octave filter each over a period of 2 years. All of them made positive changes to the sound quality
I am happy with the sound of this setup and do not have an urge to upgrade, tweak anytime soon :) Untitled Diagram-2.png

cczer017

May 9, 2020
This is my current chain, I added the switches, ISO Cat6 and the Octave filter each over a period of 2 years. All of them made positive changes to the sound quality
I am happy with the sound of this setup and do not have an urge to upgrade, tweak anytime soon :) View attachment 65288

Very nice.....I have a few questions obviously

You use fibre from your router to the 1st snh-10g. Which one and what do feel the benefits are over an ethernet?

What does a second snh-10g bring to the table?

Do you feel that adding the Cat 7 in between the CX and EX was a good sonic upgrade over a standard ethernet?

The Cat 6 Isolators, again what did they add?....theres a lot of Cat 7s you have there!! ;-)

The Octave 3-P is a new one on me

I think my initial step is to sort out the connection between the CX&EX, im thinking the sotm cat7, but the fibre connection from the router sounds interesting.

Thanks
Bill

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
You use fibre from your router to the 1st snh-10g. Which one and what do feel the benefits are over an ethernet?

I dont wanna repeat what has been discussed to death here on WBF, you can read why ppl add fibre here on many threads
in my setup they made the sound more 3d and holographic.. 15 % improvement

What does a second snh-10g bring to the table?
The second switch was the second last upgrade I did on my stereo, it had a good impact on my systems "being there" feel and also timbre, also Bass definition improved . about 20 % improvement

Do you feel that adding the Cat 7 in between the CX and EX was a good sonic upgrade over a standard ethernet?
the CAT7 is a good cable,i got them while I got my first switch so never really got a chance to try non audiophile cables, tbh though I think , relatively speaking, they had the smallest impact on my stereo, maybe 5 % improvement

The Cat 6 Isolators, again what did they add?....theres a lot of Cat 7s you have there!! ;-)
same applies to CAT6 they maybe contribute 5% improvement

The Octave 3-P is a new one on me
The Octave is a EMI filter on analogue aside, a very niche device, the only reason why I bought it was the throw away price from a dealer as used demo piece. Reg improvement, its tough to quantify, it does something to my stereo which I can't really explain in words, it makes it more , for the lack of better word, musical. again we are entering laws of diminishing returns here, in my setup . YMMV

I think my initial step is to sort out the connection between the CX&EX, im thinking the sotm cat7, but the fibre connection from the router sounds interesting.

TBH, in my opinion,a switch will make a larger impact (before CX) than a boutique cable between CX and EX. Adding fibre is a very cheap upgrade, you get a used Cisco 2960, for like 50 euros, buy starch or planet tech SFPs, and you will find a definite improvement in your sound,

thanks for reading

cczer017

May 9, 2020
I dont wanna repeat what has been discussed to death here on WBF, you can read why ppl add fibre here on many threads
in my setup they made the sound more 3d and holographic.. 15 % improvement

The second switch was the second last upgrade I did on my stereo, it had a good impact on my systems "being there" feel and also timbre, also Bass definition improved . about 20 % improvement

the CAT7 is a good cable,i got them while I got my first switch so never really got a chance to try non audiophile cables, tbh though I think , relatively speaking, they had the smallest impact on my stereo, maybe 5 % improvement

same applies to CAT6 they maybe contribute 5% improvement

The Octave is a EMI filter on analogue aside, a very niche device, the only reason why I bought it was the throw away price from a dealer as used demo piece. Reg improvement, its tough to quantify, it does something to my stereo which I can't really explain in words, it makes it more , for the lack of better word, musical. again we are entering laws of diminishing returns here, in my setup . YMMV

TBH, in my opinion,a switch will make a larger impact (before CX) than a boutique cable between CX and EX. Adding fibre is a very cheap upgrade, you get a used Cisco 2960, for like 50 euros, buy starch or planet tech SFPs, and you will find a definite improvement in your sound,

thanks for reading

Thank you. I will have search up about the benefits of adding a cisco 2960. Im guessing its just a means to add a fibre connection.

Cheers
Bill

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
Thank you. I will have search up about the benefits of adding a cisco 2960. Im guessing its just a means to add a fibre connection.

Cheers
Bill
Yes, that's right, its just one of them many methods to add Fibre before your network audio setup

Reactions: cczer017

cczer017

May 9, 2020
Yes, that's right, its just one of them many methods to add Fibre before your network audio setup

Please correct me if I am wrong (theres so much out there its quite daunting) A 2960 is a 2960 but just with different amount of ports? So if I was looking to go down this route, I would need one with a low number of sockets with at least one SFP (which would be of high quality) to add to the 2960 and another to add to the SOtM?

Ive just watched a vid and I cant believe its that easy to add an SFP...just clicks in!!

Seems quite simple but not sure if the 2960s are all the same. The 8TC looks very different to the others

Again thanks for your time

Last edited:

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
I have placed an order for the Finisar ones as recommended by CK :)

allhifi

Jun 19, 2016
Returning my CX back to the dealer. I'm happy with the EX+P2 and the addition of the CX did not really add a noticeable improvement in SQ for me to justify adding it to the system. Streaming was identical and local playback improved slightly with the way the music flowed but had to listen so attentively to notice it. Looks like I'm at the stage where I'm using 99% of what my system is capable of and the last 1% like most audio enthusiasts chase seems to be just throwing money until it's fully squeezed out. If i had a $50k + system with money to burn I'd by the CX but that would only be just to say that its the best that's out right now. Also another thing is given how fast digital moves, probably in the next 2-3 years there will be a new server that will be better than both CX+EX and would rather not have spent large amounts on more than one box.

RE: " ....given how fast digital moves, probably in the next 2-3 years there will be a new server that will be better than both CX+EX and would rather not have spent large amounts on more than one box. "

No kidding.

Nicely articulated.

pj

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
I discovered this last night as well and felt both optimism and dread. There Is a high cost in the pursuit in staying current in digital. The K50 looks like a natural progression of their current path, this time packed into one box with a re-clocker. How will my CX+EX compare? How will this effort compare to the SGM Extreme?

I’ve never heard an Extreme so have to rely on the words in these forums and each company’s respective marketing. Oh dear, did I just admit that marketing plays a role? I hope they don’t read this as it will only encourage them.;)

For me there are two competing interests in play - caveman like big thing to overcome all obstacle; and let’s be smarter and design the basics well so the cost doesn’t run away. One approach appeals to my baser instincts; the other appeals to my dominant engineering based perspective. I’m sure the folks at SGM and Antipodes are both pretty smart but the difference in cost is close to a factor of two. That’s a factor of safety this Neanderthal can’t quite swing, at least as a new purchase. In a couple years they will both be obsolete, but sounding just fine.

Can‘t wait to read the first reviews...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing