Which Antipodes as Roon Core, streaming bridge and local server?

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
I am thinking about buying an Antipodes as Roon core, local music server and streaming bridge. Right now I`m using an iMac as core and server and running it via ethernet to the router and from there to my music room where I have an Auralic Aries G1. From what I understand the Antipodes will take over all these tasks and also improve sound quality? Also, as placed in the music room and being a server that is directly connected to the DAC, there is no more trouble with local files having to travel through the local network - thus eliminating potential jitter problems - also correct? No more need for a switch etc. for files that are locally stored and served from the Antipodes - correct?

I`m am usually at home in the analog world - but as there are more and more files that are only available as download, there is no way around a digital setup that is not CDP/CDT based and the Antipodes seems like a good product.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Christoph

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
A question which could impact the choice of an appropriate Antipodes, is how do you connect to the DAC section of your C52?
… thinking about upgrading the DAC too… maybe a Lampizator - right now I use coax connection… would probably keep it that way to the Lampi… not sure though… new domain for me this is…

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
… thinking about upgrading the DAC too… maybe a Lampizator - right now I use coax connection… would probably keep it that way to the Lampi… not sure though… new domain for me this is…
Go for a K50 as it can provide an excellent coax out.

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
… whats the experience when comparing ripped CDs (lossless WAV) to direct CDT when both transports (server/CDT) are connected directly to the DAC? Is the server (Antipodes) better than a dedicated CDT?

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
… whats the experience when comparing ripped CDs (lossless WAV) to direct CDT when both transports (server/CDT) are connected directly to the DAC? Is the server (Antipodes) better than a dedicated CDT?
That is too generic of a question. Your best bet is to try to compare an Antipodes server at your chosen price point to a CDT at the same price point.

If you purchase a server directly from Antipodes, I believe they will offer you a 30 day money arrangement. That can give you time to audition it in your own system. That’s what I did and as soon as I heard my K30, I knew it was a keeper.

I would imagine as well that there is a dealer in your neck of the woods that can allow you to demo an Antipodes server.

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
I am thinking about buying an Antipodes as Roon core, local music server and streaming bridge. Right now I`m using an iMac as core and server and running it via ethernet to the router and from there to my music room where I have an Auralic Aries G1. From what I understand the Antipodes will take over all these tasks and also improve sound quality? Also, as placed in the music room and being a server that is directly connected to the DAC, there is no more trouble with local files having to travel through the local network - thus eliminating potential jitter problems - also correct? No more need for a switch etc. for files that are locally stored and served from the Antipodes - correct?
I started with the K22 and was BLOWN AWAY, as I had a great streamer in the Sonore Signature Rendu SE - a superb streamer. I then purchased the K41 server. But Antipodes is next level for sure. Here is a good review I stumbled upon.

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ

I`m am usually at home in the analog world - but as there are more and more files that are only available as download, there is no way around a digital setup that is not CDP/CDT based and the Antipodes seems like a good product.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Christoph
It sounds as though you seek a one box solution such as a K50 or Oladra? If this is the case you would absolutely want it to reside in your music room next to or very close to your DAC. I began my experience with Roon using an iMac to host the Core, than moved to a dedicated (SGC) music server and now have a K41 server and a K22 player I connect to my DAC via AES and USB. I prefer AES. Some prefer USB and some prefer i2S (provided your DAC supports it. I can tell you that there is true magic in the SQ of Antipodes and as you’ll discover , once in the Antipodes universe you’ll not use Roon very often. I’m a Roon lifer but since discovering Squeeze I use Roon very little. Squeeze sounds MUCH better. Way better. Many companies offer support for Squeeze but no company supports Squeeze like Antipodes.

Best path is to install an SSD inside of your Antipodes server and load your files on the internal drive. Playback is virtually instantaneous with virtually no lag whatsoever. It also (imo) delivers the best SQ. And you can copy your files from within your Mac using either Finder or Antipodes software which is best of breed. World class. And the software stack along with the hardware is what delivers such great musicality and cutting edge SQ. All you need of course is a good Ethernet connection in your music room and provided everything is on your same local network you should be ready to rock ‘n’ roll.
Hope that helps….Oh, and while I know we have many vinyl enthusiasts here and respect those who like to spin records, having had a collection of over 3000 records at one time, I don’t have a one these days and with my setup I don’t miss vinyl a bit. My system sounds very much like analog presently And BTW, Qobuz is also well supported with either Roon or Squeeze. And it sounds great.

Reactions: kennyb123

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I don’t have a one these days and with my setup I don’t miss vinyl a bit.
I sold my analog front end about five years ago so I could reinvest the proceeds in a better digital front end. Initially I did miss vinyl as the brand of music server I chose didn't deliver the tonal density I use to get from vinyl. That changed when I swapped that server for a K30. Like you, now I don't miss vinyl one bit.

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
I sold my analog front end about five years ago so I could reinvest the proceeds in a better digital front end. Initially I did miss vinyl as the brand of music server I chose didn't deliver the tonal density I use to get from vinyl. That changed when I swapped that server for a K30. Like you, now I don't miss vinyl one bit.
I’m with you on that. I feel about vinyl the way I feel about books. I know many people still like to turn pages but I haven’t read a paper book since the first iPad came out. I like to listen to music in dim light and it’s WAY easier for me to read a digital book on a backlit display where I can pinch and zoom to expand font. easier on the eyes. And digital sounds so great these days when properly equipped and configured it doesn’t make sense for me to hassle with records.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing