Antipodes Oladra vs. K50

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
I received a K50 demo that had a good number of hours put into it. It still needed a couple of weeks to blossom. I could tell based on my familiarity with my K30 that it still needed some time to cook after unpacking it. Early on I actually questioned if it was worth the higher price. After two weeks I was convinced it was.
Hi Ken,
Did you come to this conclusion using the USB output on the K50 or using one of the digital outputs that go through the reclocker?

Chris

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Hi Ken,
Did you come to this conclusion using the USB output on the K50 or using one of the digital outputs that go through the reclocker?

Chris
USB as I was initially aiming to get an apples to apples take on K30 vs K50. I didn’t begin assessing the reclocker until it settled in.

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
USB as I was initially aiming to get an apples to apples take on K30 vs K50. I didn’t begin assessing the reclocker until it settled in.
To clarify, the USB output is better sounding on the K50?

Terry0

May 21, 2022
Gold Coast Australia
@Terry0 This unit went off to a customer for a few weeks for a demo almost immeidately after I posted this. It just came back and I have not taken it out of the box yet. It is now completely burnt in so I will be able to do a fresh listen without being colored by the slow change through time. I will try and start that this afternoon.

Also, I have an open box Rockna Wavedream Signature here that just arrived. It needs to be tested as I have to validate it is working flawlessly upon return. It will be an opportunity to test AES vs. I2S in a decent DAC as both inputs clearly need to be tested.
Thank you for getting back to me, I will be interested to hear your thoughts.

I also tried a stand alone Tambaqui with the Oladra so I could compare i2s with AES which you can't with the Makua and my thoughts were after several days of comparing that i2s with the Oladra was very close to how good the AES was.
Though that could end up being a different outcome with a different DAC in a different system, especially with the Rockna which is a DAC I enjoy. ... cheers

Reactions: gentcan

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
To clarify, the USB output is better sounding on the K50?
I cannot render a verdict as I don’t have matching cables that will allow me to do an apples-to-appless comparison. I ultimately concluded that cables matter FAR more than the interface.

In my case also, the reclocker doesn’t allow me to play my music that’s been scaled to 16FS using PGGB. I2S maxes out ay 8FS and AES maxes out at 4FS. PGGB scaling to 16FS brings a very significant improvement. A good portion of that is lost at 8FS.

16FS is 16x the fundamental frequencies of 44.1k or 48k. (705.6k or 768k).

Reactions: 7ryder

gentcan

Jun 15, 2022
Thank you for getting back to me, I will be interested to hear your thoughts.

I also tried a stand alone Tambaqui with the Oladra so I could compare i2s with AES which you can't with the Makua and my thoughts were after several days of comparing that i2s with the Oladra was very close to how good the AES was.
Though that could end up being a different outcome with a different DAC in a different system, especially with the Rockna which is a DAC I enjoy. ... cheers
Terry. You should share your experience with AC Kassandra also please. . Thanks

Reactions: lordcloud

Terry0

May 21, 2022
Gold Coast Australia
Terry. You should share your experience with AC Kassandra also please. . Thanks
Hi Gentcan,

firstly my apologies for the delayed reply. In the time it has taken me to answer I have tried various other combinations with some interesting and somewhat unexpected results, but as I am still trying several combinations I will save that for another time once I have come to a conclusion.

Regarding the Kassandra Ref2 DAC, it is easily one of the very best DAC's I have been lucky enough to experience. When teamed with the Impera Reference 2 Pre this AC combination is simply superb in the sq they deliver together. Hopefully I don't sound to cliched in my explanation, but what I have found with the Kassandra is it delivers a exceptionally layered detailed and dynamic sq with excellent decay and separation, yet at the same time the sq it delivers is both relaxed and, to use that old and usually disliked adjective, musical.
Unfortunately I have now sold my demo Kassandra and I do miss it, though the Helene is doing a very fine job replacing it and both AC DAC's have their strengths, but still the Helene not quite a Kassandra, but at the price point differences between the two AC DAC's one should reasonably expect that.

Combine the Kassandra and Impera along with the Antipodes flagship Oladra plus some very nice interconnects and this combination is to date the most enjoyable digital front end that I have been lucky enough to experience in my main room, there is definately a synergy between these three components at this level that if the opportunity ever arrises I would strongly recommend having a long listen to.

All I would add is an old hifi caveat, once heard you can't unhear.

cheers,
Terry

Last edited:

gentcan

Jun 15, 2022
Hi Gentcan,

firstly my apologies for the delayed reply. In the time it has taken me to answer I have tried various other combinations with some interesting and somewhat unexpected results, but as I am still trying several combinations I will save that for another time once I have come to a conclusion.

Regarding the Kassandra Ref2 DAC, it is easily one of the very best DAC's I have been lucky enough to experience. When teamed with the Impera Reference 2 Pre this AC combination is simply superb in the sq they deliver together. Hopefully I don't sound to clinical in my explanation, but what I have found with the Kassandra is it delivers a exceptionally layered detailed and dynamic sq with excellent decay and separation, yet at the same time the sq it delivers is both relaxed and, to use that old and usually disliked adjective, musical.
Unfortunately I have now sold my demo Kassandra and I do miss it, though the Helene is doing a very fine job replacing it and both AC DAC's have their strengths, but still the Helene not quite a Kassandra, but at the price point differences between the two AC DAC's one should reasonably expect that.

Combine the Kassandra and Impera along with the Antipodes flagship Oladra plus some very nice interconnects and this combination is to date the most enjoyable digital front end that I have been lucky enough to experience in my main room, there is definately a synergy between these three components at this level that if the opportunity ever arrises I would strongly recommend having a long listen to.

All I would add is an old hifi caveat, once heard you can't unhear.

cheers,
Terry
Thanks @Terry0 . Appreciate your sharing. Happy New Year!

Reactions: Terry0

VerdantAudio

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2020
Okay...so I now have had extensive time switching back and forth between the K50 and Oladra with four different DACs. Two of which are now either sold or on demo. The Weiss 501 4Ch MK2, the Rockna Wavedream Signature XLR, Jadis JS1 MKV and the Playback Designs MPD6. I used an Inakustik AES, Inakustik SPDIF, Clarus Crimson USB and Audioquest Dragon HDMI as my ICs.

I found that the difference between the two devices grew. Out of the box the Oladra was a step up vs. the K50 but I feel clarity was noticeably better with the Oladra and my image depth seemed greater with the Oladra. Width seemed to remain the same. I used my standard five songs I test virtually every device with - Duke Ellington and John Colrane - In a Sentimental Mood, Sting - Be Still My Beating Hear, Anette Askvik - Liberty, Bozzio Levin Stevens - Duende and Berg Quartet - Mozart String Quartet No 14 in G Major

Weiss 501 - What was most interesting is that I feel the K50 is only nominally better than the K41 or ethernet direct out of the K50 or Oladra into the Weiss. The Oladra to me was noticeably better via AES where I feel the K50 was very similar. The internal renderer on the Weiss is very good and very quiet. The AES on the Oladra out to the Weiss was to me a step up particularly in terms of soundstage depth. There was an improvement in holography which I assume is a reduction in jitter and a small improvement in clarity.

Rockna Wavedream Signature - That DAC left me relatively quickly (two days) after starting my testing but I found the I2S to be the better connection vs AES on both the K50 and the Oladra. The AES output did deliver improved soundstage depth on the Oladra vs. K50. The I2S connections were much closer on Oladra vs K50. Soundstage depth was similar and I feel the perception of holography may have been a little better on the Oladra. This is close enough where I am not certain as there is significant time required to swap the two devices physically.

Jadis JS1 MKV - I tested the SPDIF vs USB on this DAC. I found SPDIF superior in every way. Part of it may just be that the Inakustik Coax cable I have is much better than the Clarus and Inakustik USBs but the only motivation I could see for using USB is streaming higher resolution data than the SPDIF offers. Probably the starkest difference between the two servers can be heard with this DAC. With the K50, in my all tube system (Canor Hyperion Preamp and Virtus Monos) the Jadis is too much tube. It sounds a bit muddy and like it is trying too hard to deliver tubiness. With the Oladra everything tightened up and I was getting the feeling I was getting all the good of the tubes (wider and deeper soundstage, less edge from the Chip) with none of the undesirable softness once gets from certain tube units. This unit was noticeably better.

Playback MPD-6 - I used the AES connection between the two. With the K50, this was a stunning DAC. With the Oladra it takes it up a notch. The Oladra just makes it sound deeper, clearer and more holographic. This is an incredibly clean and smooth sounding DAC and it just gets that much better.

I am getting ready to order a demo of the Aries Cerat Kasandra and am really curious how good this can get. Bob tells me the Kasandra and Pink Faun are pretty magical together. I am going to bring in Pink Faun at some point and that will be a pretty interesting compare.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
Sorry I took the Rockna off your hands so quickly Scott! BTW, I'm loving it.

Regarding using a K50 as server only with a good streamer - I had both the Linn Klimax DSM/2 and then the new Organik Klimax in my system with the K50 and, in both cases, it made no impact on the SQ of either streamer (neither did the Innuos Statement). I didn't hear any difference using BNC out of the K50 into the Organik either, but given the cost of this streamer, it would be pretty disappointing if there was a SQ difference.

As for the Rockna, I'm currently using AES out of the K50 with it and it sounds VERY good.

ChrisG

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Sorry I took the Rockna off your hands so quickly Scott! BTW, I'm loving it.

Regarding using a K50 as server only with a good streamer - I had both the Linn Klimax DSM/2 and then the new Organik Klimax in my system with the K50 and, in both cases, it made no impact on the SQ of either streamer (neither did the Innuos Statement). I didn't hear any difference using BNC out of the K50 into the Organik either, but given the cost of this streamer, it would be pretty disappointing if there was a SQ difference.

As for the Rockna, I'm currently using AES out of the K50 with it and it sounds VERY good.

ChrisG
Chris,
sorry for a little bit OT but anyway would you care to elaborate about the SQ differences between Linn Organik and the Rockna?
Thx

Matt

VerdantAudio

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2020
Hey Chris, I am glad you are enjoying it. I am missing it a bit. Fortunately I have the Jadis and Playback to sooth me along with an Oppo Modwright I am playing with at the moment. The Modwright may not be in the same league as these others, but there is something quite satisfying about it.

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
Chris,
sorry for a little bit OT but anyway would you care to elaborate about the SQ differences between Linn Organik and the Rockna?
Thx

Matt
Hi Matt,
The Linn has been gone for a couple of months, but from memory, both sound very good and are probably some of the best DACs around. Neither sound digital - there is no digital fatigue with either.

Both are very good with microdynamics and imaging and both have very good blackgrounds. I think the soundstage is better with the Rockna - there is more depth with it. But the thing that I don't think the Linn does well is macrodynamics - not much slam there - and this is one of the Rockna's strengths and, for me, what was missing from the Linn's presentation. I find it easier to get excited about the Rockna's presentation - it is more engaging.

Chris

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Thanks Scott! This is helping me unravel the server upgrade I plan this year!

ddriveman

Jun 24, 2023
Hello,

If you don't mind I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the Oladra now it is run in.

Mine out of the box while incredibly impressive with its dynamic excitement and very high level of resolution delivered, still to my ears, took well over two hundred hours to fully settle in and then start to sound near its best, originally I had been quite impressed with how the Oladra sounded when new and not run. My thoughts are on reflection that the Oladra took nearly double the time to settle in that the K50 took from new.

When it comes to DACs in my main system I have run the Oladra with a Mola Mola Makua/Tambaqui and the AC Kassandra Reference, in general I mainly use an AES connection between the Antipodes and DAC's.

I look forward to your thoughts.

cheers
Terry
Hi Terry,

How do you compare the Tambaqui vs the Kassandra Ref with your Oladra. I have latest Oladra with Tambaqui and thinking about Kassandra. Thanks

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing