Anyone heard about Meridian's new project called MQA

A very good hirez release vs MQA would then come down to subtle differences.

Well, in my listening to MQA I didn't find the differences subtle at all. HiRez versions of the music samples in my collection at 24/96 PCM or DSD were significantly better to my ears than the decoded MQA versions.
As more people have a chance to listen to MQA, it will be interesting to hear the results of their comparisons and listening experiences.

Well, in my listening to MQA I didn't find the differences subtle at all. HiRez versions of the music samples in my collection at 24/96 PCM or DSD were significantly better to my ears than the decoded MQA versions.
As more people have a chance to listen to MQA, it will be interesting to hear the results of their comparisons and listening experiences.

Yeah I can understand that but from an objective perspective (my post was to all types) when blind-level matched those differences become more subtle.
Bear in mind I am suggesting it should improve (I cannot say it does because unfortunately I have not heard it) and will influence long term listening behaviour in terms of both satisfaction and dissonance.
Cheers
Orb

I've mentioned this before on another site but I heard one MQA decoded file (Dave Brubeck's Time Out) at Axpona and it was simply awful. Any resemblance between the original tape and what was heard was purely coincidental. And I should know that recording by heart because I was given a second gen copy that came from a now deceased engineer's collection for a birthday present. The cymbals could peel paint off the walls, the instruments lacked any harmonic integrity and there was no cohesion between the musicians. It sounded like the musicians had played in separate cities and were mixed together. Not at all how the tape sounds. I would like to know what they used for the source here because it was terrible.

I've mentioned this before on another site but I heard one MQA decoded file (Dave Brubeck's Time Out) at Axpona and it was simply awful. Any resemblance between the original tape and what was heard was purely coincidental. And I should know that recording by heart because I was given a second gen copy that came from a now deceased engineer's collection for a birthday present. The cymbals could peel paint off the walls, the instruments lacked any harmonic integrity and there was no cohesion between the musicians. It sounded like the musicians had played in separate cities and were mixed together. Not at all how the tape sounds. I would like to know what they used for the source here because it was terrible.

Nice! It seems your birthday present would be the best source there is right now to digitize to 24/768KHz PCM and then downsample from there to whatever format people fancy atm.

Nice! It seems your birthday present would be the best source there is right now to digitize to 24/768KHz PCM and then downsample from there to whatever format people fancy atm.

Actually Jeff Joseph was over a couple of times and converted quite a few of my tapes to 24/192 for demoing at shows. They came out pretty good and weirdly so better sounding than most commercial releases. So makes one wonder what sources they are using and how much care they are taking in doing the transfers?!?! Far more transparent and more information. If you go to RMAF, there's a good chance Jeff will have and be playing the digitized files.

On another but similar topic, David Robinson made for me 4X DSD files from 15 ips tapes using the Merging Technologies A/D. Right now for some reason, the iDSD (it's supposed to do 8X DSD) won't play the files but should have soon either the ExaSound or Lampi that should do the trick. It will be very interesting to hear how close the transfers come to the 15 ips tape.

Well, the article and video were made after reading (and rereading) 150 pages of patents, AES papers and the like. It actually tells you more than any press release from Meridian. And it does make sense technically. I have the feeling many of the comments on my work were made without reading the article or watching the video. I see no valid arguments against my article, only vague remarks like "Meridian press release". If you had visited my Youtube channel and watched the first version of MQA Part 2, You'd understand why Bob Stewart was asked to comment on version 2.
I'm not saying that MQA is the new codec and that nothing could be wrong with it. I just said that so far it impressed me heavily. Especially the demo on High End Munich was extremely good.
Welcome to the forum Hans. If you look further up, you see that I linked to your part 2 video here. And I did watch that and part 1. I think you have done the best job of explaining what this is that I have seen. And the production quality of your video, graphics, etc. are excellent. :)

My beef with it is the total acceptance of timing resolution being a valid measure of fidelity. As I noted, this is not accepted today as it lacks any bias controlled tests that demonstrate it concretely. There may be some smoke here but fire needs to be followed :). I thought your acceptance of this factor actually went behind even where Bob himself lands as of this moment.

Was the MQA on Meridian equipment? If so, how did you isolate the Meridian gear/speaker's contributions from MQA? I know I couldn't separate the two in demos I heard. Indeed, I think 100% of what I heard was the sound of Meridian system/speakers than any contributions from MQA.

Was the MQA on Meridian equipment? If so, how did you isolate the Meridian gear/speaker's contributions from MQA? I know I couldn't separate the two in demos I heard. Indeed, I think 100% of what I heard was the sound of Meridian system/speakers than any contributions from MQA.

Amir it doesn't matter; Meridian picked the gear for the demos (don't remember off the top of my head but I seem to remember Focal speakers). Others might remember what they were using in Chicago. More than that, are you saying that MQA can only sound good on some systems? If it the chosen system doesn't put their new product release in the best light, then there's something seriously wrong.

And certainly one has to believe that Meridian used their own gear in development of the MQA technology. So what is that saying?

Amir it doesn't matter; Meridian picked the gear for the demos (don't remember off the top of my head but I seem to remember Focal speakers). Others might remember what they were using in Chicago. More than that, are you saying that MQA can only sound good on some systems?
No, I am saying that the sound of a Meridian system is so different than mine that any difference I hear is attributable to that, not MQA.

If it the chosen system doesn't put their new product release in the best light, then there's something seriously wrong.
Well, what is wrong is the evaluation of the system with MQA always on, on a system that sounds different than what I listen to. In that regard, I can't separate MQA from the sound of Meridian system.

The type of correction MQA is performing is extremely subtle compared to gross differences between speakers and such.

And certainly one has to believe that Meridian used their own gear in development of the MQA technology. So what is that saying?
Well, they know and are familiar with the sound of their own system. So when they do the evaluation, they are testing MQA vs no MQA. What we are testing is our own system playing A and Meridian System playing B. So they are in far, far better position to evaluate MQA by itself than the rest of us are.

Welcome to the forum Hans. If you look further up, you see that I linked to your part 2 video here. And I did watch that and part 1. I think you have done the best job of explaining what this is that I have seen. And the production quality of your video, graphics, etc. are excellent. :)
+1 both are definitely worth a listen, especially for those who want a bit of grounding with digital conversion in the practical real world, where some videos by others unfortunately do not really go.
Just reiterating his links as well:
http://tinyurl.com/ojuhv6v
http://thehbproject.com/en
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5o...wxRGiBoJg&annotation_id=annotation_4130170463

Cheers
Orb

Indeed, more's the pity. That doesn't mean we should also consider them unimportant. If we prefer amplifiers that don't require expensive platforms and line conditioners to give of their best, manufacturers will make them. The biggest problem is that their performance in these areas is rarely reviewed.

Don, you seem to be creating a straw man argument here. You probably can't name a single component that properly addresses vibration or AC mgmt. Because it most likely doesn't exist since most mfg'ers are just as lost as anybody else when it comes to these 2 topics. I for one do not want a mtg'er forcing me into his most likely inferior execution into either of these categories.

And contrary to your claim, these two areas are being reviewed for their impact on performance in every last product review. For the simple reason that the distortions induced by both essentially saturate and degrade every aspect of a component's performance and therefore their effects become part of the reviews' findings. Whether anybody realizes it or not.

It was mainly in the area of air-borne and structure-borne vibration from the speakers in the room. Back before online forums, we had to actually get together to discuss audio topics, and we came around to how to prevent feedback when playing records loud. (As you do when you're young...) I was especially interested because I had refrigerator-sized cabinets with 15" Altecs, and I had to go to heroic lengths to reduce the resulting effects. So we set up a technique where we placed the needle on a stationary record, and recorded the line-out to a cassette deck. At the same time, we played music and test tones through the amplifier and speakers at similar levels to what the record (LP) playback level would have been. By paying attention to the gain settings, we were able to determine the "signal to feedback" ratio, and measure and hear how effective various techniques were in preventing feedback. Solid vs suspended plinth/sub-chassis, modelling clay damping of arm boards, sorbothane and Micro Seiki feet, glass vs wood vs concrete vs granite bases on Sorbothane, springs and inner tubes.

You're all over the map here, Don. It's impossible to fully or properly control both air-borne and floor-borne vibrations simultaneously. That's like trying to separate the east from the west. In that same vein, it is illogical to practice both vibration isolation and vibration transfer at the same time since their methods diametrically oppose one another, especially when one method is invalid and really just a grossly inferior version of the valid method. Isn't that a bit like trying to get light to co-exist with darkness?

Speaking of straw man arguments, what on earth does the post above have to do with MQA?

Right, let's get a map here to decide who is or is not is not all over it.

Don, you seem to be creating a straw man argument here. You probably can't name a single component that properly addresses vibration or AC mgmt. Because it most likely doesn't exist since most mfg'ers are just as lost as anybody else when it comes to these 2 topics.
Who is not lost? Present company? If so, what data is there to examine?

What nobody seems get or at least admit to, is that listening to even the most well-engineered high-rez recording on a well-thought-out $1million SOTA-level playback system, the listener is not audibly hearing anything more than roughly the equivalent music info capacity of a well-engineered MP3 recording.
I have been meaning to comment on this but keep forgetting. What do you mean "well-engineered MP3?" MP3 is not hardware so engineering does not enter the equation. But perhaps you mean using best-in-class encoder? If so, even the best of the best won't achieve transparency to the PCM source. It was stated that way when the codec was designed, and it is true today. I am often challenged to show this is the case at the highest bit rate of 320 Kbps and I have shown it. Here is the most recent occasion:

I was challenged (yet again :( ) as to whether I can tell 320 kbps MP3 from source. So here are some tests I ran on that:

=============
foo_abx 1.3.4 report
foobar2000 v1.3.2
2014/07/19 19:45:33

File A: C:\Users\Amir\Music\Arnys Filter Test\keys jangling 16 44.wav
File B: C:\Users\Amir\Music\Arnys Filter Test\keys jangling 16 44_01.mp3

19:45:33 : Test started.
19:46:21 : 01/01 50.0%
19:46:35 : 02/02 25.0%
19:46:49 : 02/03 50.0%
19:47:03 : 03/04 31.3%
19:47:13 : 04/05 18.8%
19:47:27 : 05/06 10.9%
19:47:38 : 06/07 6.3%
19:47:46 : 07/08 3.5%
19:48:01 : 08/09 2.0%
19:48:19 : 09/10 1.1%
19:48:31 : 10/11 0.6%
19:48:45 : 11/12 0.3%
19:48:58 : 12/13 0.2%
19:49:11 : 13/14 0.1%
19:49:28 : 14/15 0.0%
19:49:52 : 15/16 0.0%
19:49:56 : Test finished.

----------

Total: 15/16 (0.0%)

And just now, ran one of the tracks from the 6 samples in Scott/Mark's music and converted that to MP3. Here are those results:

===============

foo_abx 1.3.4 report
foobar2000 v1.3.2
2014/07/31 15:18:41

File A: C:\Users\Amir\Music\AIX AVS Test files\On_The_Street_Where_You_Live_A2.mp3
File B: C:\Users\Amir\Music\AIX AVS Test files\On_The_Street_Where_You_Live_A2.wav

15:18:41 : Test started.
15:19:18 : 01/01 50.0%
15:19:30 : 01/02 75.0%
15:19:44 : 01/03 87.5%
15:20:35 : 02/04 68.8%
15:20:46 : 02/05 81.3%
15:21:39 : 03/06 65.6% <--- Difference found
15:21:47 : 04/07 50.0%
15:21:54 : 04/08 63.7% <--- Dog barked!
15:22:06 : 05/09 50.0%
15:22:19 : 06/10 37.7%
15:22:31 : 07/11 27.4%
15:22:44 : 08/12 19.4%
15:22:51 : 09/13 13.3%
15:22:58 : 10/14 9.0%
15:23:06 : 11/15 5.9%
15:23:14 : 12/16 3.8%
15:23:23 : 13/17 2.5%
15:23:33 : 14/18 1.5%
15:23:42 : 15/19 1.0%
15:23:54 : 16/20 0.6%
15:24:06 : 17/21 0.4%
15:24:15 : 18/22 0.2%
15:24:23 : 19/23 0.1%
15:24:34 : 20/24 0.1%
15:24:43 : 21/25 0.0%
15:24:52 : 22/26 0.0%
15:24:57 : Test finished.

----------

Total: 22/26 (0.0%)

As you see, the results could not be more compelling on me being able to tell 320 kbps apart from the source. And these are not tracks selected to be "codec killers." It is what folks have put forward in this forum (AVS) for another reason.

I saved the markers for the above track:

Start point: 3:11.4
End point: 3:11.8

Listen to the difference in high frequencies. Listen to whether one is more congested than the other (for the lack of a better word). Now you see why I don't try to explain the differences. English words are not easy fit for them. This is why you need to do your own listening and hear the difference first hand. No amount of telling you how to fish will teach you what it feels like to catch your first one.

These are encoded using the professional encoder in my Adobe Audition software. Clips were from another test being discussed then, ironically related to the work of Bob Stuart showing audibility of resampling of high resolution music (see my article here http://www.madronadigital.com/Library/High Resolution Audio/High Resolution Audio Matters.html). So no hand picking of the worst case scenario. Granted, I have lots of training to hear compression artifacts but still, transparency is either there or it is not. If a human can hear the artifacts, the mission is failed and transparency not achieved.

That aside, would you please clarify how you are OK with MP3 artifacts but worry about vibrations making an audible difference in gear other than mechanical analog equipment?

Don, you seem to be creating a straw man argument here. You probably can't name a single component that properly addresses vibration or AC mgmt. Because it most likely doesn't exist since most mfg'ers are just as lost as anybody else when it comes to these 2 topics. I for one do not want a mtg'er forcing me into his most likely inferior execution into either of these categories.

There is no argument. We are in agreement on this. I just go further, and choose to spend my money on components that I'm happy with the sound of and that don't require external help to acheive it. If I'm in any doubt about the component's ability to cope without external help in my system, I can test it. It's not hard.

And contrary to your claim, these two areas are being reviewed for their impact on performance in every last product review. For the simple reason that the distortions induced by both essentially saturate and degrade every aspect of a component's performance and therefore their effects become part of the reviews' findings. Whether anybody realizes it or not.

My claim stands - I rarely see any mention of changes in performance due to the reviewer changing power cords, racks, feet etc. They are the sorts of things that contribute most to variability - the performance in the reviewer's system bears little relevance to the performance in my system.

You're all over the map here, Don. It's impossible to fully or properly control both air-borne and floor-borne vibrations simultaneously. That's like trying to separate the east from the west.

Of course. They require different techniques. (Which sometimes work together, and sometimes against each other.) I figured that you knew that, so I didn't belabour the obvious.

In that same vein, it is illogical to practice both vibration isolation and vibration transfer at the same time since their methods diametrically oppose one another, especially when one method is invalid and really just a grossly inferior version of the valid method. Isn't that a bit like trying to get light to co-exist with darkness?

I assume you're referring to the practices of decouplng (to prevent vibration/energy transfer) and coupling (to transfer vibration/energy, usually to a sink such as a large mass.) Each has its place.

Speaking of straw man arguments, what on earth does the post above have to do with MQA?

Right, let's get a map here to decide who is or is not is not all over it.
:) I don't know now much more substantive things we can discuss about MQA itself so I think it is OK to divert a bit about other very small differences and their audibility.

I have been meaning to comment on this but keep forgetting. What do you mean "well-engineered MP3?" MP3 is not hardware so engineering does not enter the equation. But perhaps you mean using best-in-class encoder? If so, even the best of the best won't achieve transparency to the PCM source. It was stated that way when the codec was designed, and it is true today. I am often challenged to show this is the case at the highest bit rate of 320 Kbps and I have shown it. Here is the most recent occasion:

These are encoded using the professional encoder in my Adobe Audition software. Clips were from another test being discussed then, ironically related to the work of Bob Stuart showing audibility of resampling of high resolution music (see my article here http://www.madronadigital.com/Library/High Resolution Audio/High Resolution Audio Matters.html). So no hand picking of the worst case scenario. Granted, I have lots of training to hear compression artifacts but still, transparency is either there or it is not. If a human can hear the artifacts, the mission is failed and transparency not achieved.

That aside, would you please clarify how you are OK with MP3 artifacts but worry about vibrations making an audible difference in gear other than mechanical analog equipment?

First, as I recall the deviation started with Orb claiming a superior sound from active speakers, my response to that, then Don chiming in with his opinions.

Amir, are you saying there's no such thing as an inferior-engineered MP3 recording? I realize it's down-converted to MP3 format, but somebody still has to engineer that process, right? If 2 different companies where to down-convert the same recording to MP3, does not one outcome stand to possibly be superior or inferior to the other? What am I missing here?

As for your hearing tests, as I recall these tests were all done on your computer, correct? Not to say the results wouldn't be the same, but that's not same as performing the tests on your playback system where it really counts. And to the best of my knowledge your playback system is going to induce potentially far more distortions (much higher noise floor) than your desktop or laptop.

That aside, whoever said I was ok with MP3 or its artifacts? If I said anything remotely close to that it was that I said something like, because of the distortions induced into our playback systems raising the noise floor to such a high level that a good percentage of even a well-engineered high-rez recording remains inaudible so that you and others may well be hearing no more music info content than what is contained in a "well-engineered" (think down-converted) MP3 recording (without any distortions masking any of the MP3's music info).

That was about the time I quoted Harley, regarding the sound quality we hear, who speculated in the Mar/Apr 2009 TAS issue that he believes something catastrophic must be occurring at the recording mic's diaphragm that prevents much of the music from ever making it to the recording. About a year prior to that, Jonathan Valin said something similar when he claimed, "We are lucky if even our very best playback systems are able to capture just 15% of the "magic" of the live performance."

I was saying that even though I don't put much stock into anything they say, I was essentially in agreement with their lowly performance claims and that's where my comment of the MP3 entered.

Does that clarify things a bit?

That reminds me. To the best of my knowledge neither Harley nor Valin have rescinded their statements so I assume they stand even today. If that's the case, why the frick is Harley backing MQA when he's convinced the problem lays with the recording mic's? FWIW, Harley made his speculation based on the findings of a somewhat silly experiment conducted by Ed Meitner he described in that same article.

Does that make Harley a sell out too?

I suspect it comes as a welcome diversion from an argument that wasn't going all that well for him (as I read it).

Don't be silly, Don. But by all means you go right ahead and continue adhering to your ecumenical vibration controlling methodologies since you obviously know exactly when and where to apply the invalid methodology and when and where to apply the valid methodology.

Don't be silly, Don. But by all means you go right ahead and continue adhering to your ecumenical vibration controlling methodologies since you obviously know exactly when and where to apply the invalid methodology and when and where to apply the valid methodology.

I don't know the extent of Don's knowledge of vibration control though everything he has said indicates it might be pretty good. What he did describe to you was monitoring feedback of airborne and other vibration to a turn table. Then make changes to see if it reduced the effect. Regardless of any theoretical misgivings you may have that is a sound method (pun intended) of dealing with matters. Monitor the output of what you actually listen to over the bandwidth you actually hear the signal and see what changes are effective.

One could apply the same method to amplifiers. Monitor the output of the amp while it is being blasted with sound from close by and see what changes in the resulting signal. I have not done this with SS amps. I have with tube amps. You do have some sonic feedback at very low levels there. Even some minor results with different shelf material and construction. If vibration is that much of an issue with SS, some measurements of it would be nice. One can certainly point to differences in performance of external amps combined with high level crossovers vs powered speakers with line level crossovers. The winner is not the external configuration. The difference means vibration control would have to be a large difference to overcome the handicap.

If you want some interesting vibration control discussions, look into people who do holograms. Greatly over simplifying they break down into two largely effective schools. The massive rigid body (think thick granite slabs), and slightly flexible heavily damped methods (think thin flexible wood damped by sandbeds). Further there appear to be relatively few clever short cuts that are actually effective.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu