Anyone heard about Meridian's new project called MQA

Let’s try this again.

That’s a pretty good dossier you've been keeping on me, Tbone. :eek:

I'm NOT speculating! Let's examine some facts, you joined AA 2001, yet you've never posted to VA. That's a 14yr span of silence, yet suddenly, you're an eggspert.

Yes, let us examine some of your "facts".

If by VA you mean Vinyl Asylum, well you got me there. I speculate my spending time there would no doubt bring me little if any value.

When I ask you about this, you claimed... Well, something gives me the impression the distributor was just as embarrassed, to admit YOU were there.

Your speculation is incorrect. To the contrary, this distributor as well as the mfg'ers of my loaner speakers at each show I exhibited in 2011 were routinely sending their visitors and their dealers up to my room instructing them, "If you really want to hear this product's potential go up to room 2017 or whatever room I was exhibiting. In fact, the most common comment received from my visitors was either, "This is the best sound I've ever heard" or "This is the best sound I've heard yet at the show." Rest assured it wasn't leaps and bounds more musical than the other prominent exhibitors, but but I'd guess just barely.

But you know what's really funny? Since my own product's "magic" doesn't even start to kick in until day 5 or 6 and takes several months to reach its full potential, at a show it's only operating at maybe 3% of its full potential and by day 5 or 6 I've already torn down my tent and headed home. To be fair, what visitors were primarily hearing from with my very humble but well-thought-out system were my fabulous Foundation Research line conditioners. Now I didn't tell them about the FR line conditioners I employ because Foundation Research was already defunct and I was there to promote my own product. On the other hand, my visitors couldn't embrace my technology or product even after explaining the technology and for the most part the only feedback received was, "How much for the speakers?" Gotta' love audiophiles, eh?

You contradict yourself constantly; ie: you continually mention money as being a non factor in performance, yet you use a "$300k system" as your singular trump card.

Sorry, but you lost me here. My current 2-channel, 2-component system and 2 speakers now only retails for $10k which when I downgraded/upgraded a year ago it was $25k. Now behind the scenes, I've got another $14k in cabling, line conditioners, racks, etc, where the real differences occur. My mentioning costs like $300k, $500k, etc. is always or most always regarding how much others are willing to spend for so little ROI. Where’s the contradiction you accuse me of?

Actually, you claimed this:

Since we don't "get" it, and you apparently do; then why were you corrected using common knowledge available free to anyone over the net. Obviously you had no idea what you were talking about concerning MP3, so why should anyone believe your "knowledge" in regard to other formats?

Sorry, but you lost me again. I assume you're talking about my using the phrase, "well-engineered MP3". Yes, Amir, provided some insight there as perhaps I should have said, "well-encoded MP3" or just MP3. Big deal. That had zero to do with the estimated but still factual point I made that you obviously didn't latch on to. Even if I was inaccurate there, surely a smart feller like you understands that nobody knows everything about everything about a given industry. I admit I'm constantly reminded just how infinite my physical and mental limitations really are. How about you? Better yet, how about Stuart?

You inferred B.Stuart with potential charlatan behavior, by continually twisting reviewers claims to suit your obvious agenda, and at no point here or anywhere else have you added anything of actual substance.

I beg to differ. I used their own words verbatim in the attempt to expose them for what I perceive they really are. I'm sure it's rather obvious that I've not gone down the technical rabbit holes that many seem to thrive in. Thank goodness. From a bit flipping perspective I cannot debate Stuart's claims. Instead I rely on common sense, logic, and my own technology and performance-related experiences. But then again, Stuart should for the most part also be all thumbs about what should be the rather simple technology I dabble in, my discoveries, methods, executions, etc. So what? The internet is overflowing with paper tigers. Surely, you can see that with the internet, real performance has no significance any more. Pretty incredible when you think about it. Here we are in an industry all about music and listening and sound and trained ears, etc, yet all audio performance judgments and battles are won and lost using our eyes only. Go figure. BTW, I suspect the internet has to be a wet dream for guys like Ethan Weiner and maybe even guys like Stuart.

But I'm confident that any performance comparison between Stuart's best playback system config with his MQA music vs my own humble but well-thought-out system that I’d limit to Redbook-only music together with with the technology I employ and both systems operating at their full musical potentials would quickly determine whether one or the other is a charlatan.

Why do you continually twist words, because I've NEVER implied anything like that. Remember it was you who called my system "rinky dink", and it was you who referred to my VA buddies as ...

(sigh)

Yes, Tbone, I admit I've tried to get your goad a few times. ;) But only because I thought your sometimes dogmatism and sometimes pit bull demeanor deserved it. But also because you've made yourself very clear that I've not a clue what I'm talking about when it comes to performance, and I've observed you making similar statements directed toward others with seemingly not much in your own corner to back anything up. Hence, my statement here was not a continually twisting of words as you attempt to twist it.

You can "prove" a lot of things using lies & speculation, …

I suppose one can. But I really wouldn't know nuthin' 'bout that. Tell you what. Why not ask Stuart after watching this propaganda video on Meridian's website. https://www.meridian-audio.com/news-events/meridian-audio-launches-mqa-master-quality-authenticated/

Look at who and which company reps are endorsing MQA here and what they are saying about MQA. Talk about incredible? And for anybody who thinks we shouldn't be worried about MQA making much of an impact, I suspect they're not paying attention to the MQA wave about to hit us. We are fools to think Meridian needs the tiny high-end audio sector’s endorsement but if they can get 10 – 25% to go along, that’s icing on their cake. Besides, to the volumes of music consumers outside of high-end audio, with a handful of rave reviews from the likes of Harley, etc, it already appears to them that high-end audio has endorsed MQA as a superior performing format. From all that I can tell, MQA was a collaborative effort from the inside and it’s already a done deal and now it’s just a matter of actually rolling it out to the studios and retail stores. That’s my speculation.

…, perhaps you should try using facts.

I already have but you didn’t recognize even one of them. For example, when I said.

o It’s IMPOSSIBLE for MQA to achieve anywhere near the performance levels Harley, Stuart, and others claim.
o If Stuart wants to achieve his claimed performance levels, he’s barking up the wrong technology tree,
o Due to the much raised noise floor that essentially puts a severe performance-limiting governor on every last playback system at the speaker we're only hearing roughly the equivalent of the total bit content stored in same version encoded in an MP3 track,
o etc.

Did I give any indication whatsoever that I was not speaking factually? To the best of my knowledge and my experience those are all provable facts. By that I mean provable by me at the ear where the real and ultimate proof is, not on cheap paper. Moreover, I can easily prove what I say on a system retailing at roughly 5% of the price of today’s typical $500k SOTA-level playback system. I’ve barely proved it at audio shows essentially without my product and can certainly prove it with my product functioning at its optional. (BTW, I’m no longer in business.)

All this and essentially every last coveted music characteristic we strive to even get a glimpse of today can be demonstrated and proven by one simple fact. From a performance perspective, most everything boils down to the percentage of bits (music info) that remain audible at the speaker output when compared to the total quantity of bits stored, read, and processed from a given recording’s medium. Which also prove that Harley’s and Meitner’s speculation that, even though they are correct when they say something catastrophic is occurring, it is not at the recording mic’s diaphragm, and this part of their speculation is completely in error. Fact. And the more info that remains audible (due to a lowered noise floor) the more clear, pristine, and even delicate it becomes also. Fact.

That’s why I gave the example and preference of a stunning photograph of a beautiful red Ferrari taken with a 3MP digital camera (extremely low noise floor) being far superior to a blurred (much raised noise floor) photograph of same taken with a hi-rez 8MP or an even higher rez (still blurred) 13MP camera where only a percentage of the picture info remains visible above the much raised noise floor. That too is fact and is an excellent analogy of what happens to the signal in high-end audio.

Whether you want to believe it or not, it’s the noise floor that makes all the difference in the world. And since it is also a fact that outside of Stuart’s little $299 MQA decoder (on the consumer side), he has done zero to address the noise floor in the rest of the playback chain, it should be easily evident that his and others' MQA performance claims are impossible to achieve. For the simple fact that Stuart barked up the wrong technology tree where he cannot address the universal distortions that severely cripple the precision and accuracy of every last sensitive component resulting in all playback systems operating with a severe (think catastrophic) performance-limiting governor aka a much raised noise floor.

Whereas, back to the camera analogy, not even a 50MP or 100MP camera could overcome or minimize the distortions because again, it’s a percentage of info thing, not an information quantity dump or override thing. IOW, without addressing the causes of the distortions at the components, the percentage of the distorted info remains essentially the same regardless of the resolution. That fact explains why even 15 years after the introduction of high-rez formats debates still remain as to whether or not higher-rez offers superior performance to Redbook. Because just like MQA, other high-rez formats did nothing to lower the noise floor at the component level. Whether one is listening to a 50MB 5 min clip of Redbook music or a 394MB 5 min clip of the same music at 24/192, the percentage of distortion remains essentially the same. Fact.

Those whose systems inadvertently do very little to address some of these distortions can find it rather difficult to discern audible differences between Redbook and higher-rez recordings. Those whose playback systems have inadvertently and positively addressed some of these distortions can a bit more easily discern audible differences between Redbook and higher rez formats, but even then it’s certainly no night and day experience. Fact.

There’s plenty of more facts, but since you cannot believe these few basics, there’s no sense in sharing the others.

BTW, TBone is actually TB1, I'll let you speculate what protein that may, or may not, refer ...

No speculation on my part is necessary here.

I'll try to refrain from answering any dribble you'll post in response, I'm certain it will be more nonsensical bs. The floor is yours ...

You'll try to refrain from answering? Well, you already failed once in the past 24 hours. But I'll be counting again. :p One Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, 3 Missis......

I no longer post here but being the OP (and not having read the previous 241 posts), I have the following question:

For those who have posted negative / speculative comments about the topic at hand, have you actually listened to what MQA does or does not do?

Gordon

I no longer post here but being the OP (and not having read the previous 241 posts), I have the following question:

For those who have posted negative / speculative comments about the topic at hand, have you actually listened to what MQA does or does not do?

Gordon

I agree, Gordon - some people object to anything as their default position! I'm willing to wait before deciding if there's anything to it. Look forward to the listening impressions.

Gordon
I am not sure if you are referring to me or not but yes, I have. It was prior to my extensive discussion with Bob Stuart at CES.

Actually Jeff Joseph was over a couple of times and converted quite a few of my tapes to 24/192 for demoing at shows. They came out pretty good and weirdly so better sounding than most commercial releases. So makes one wonder what sources they are using and how much care they are taking in doing the transfers?!?! Far more transparent and more information. If you go to RMAF, there's a good chance Jeff will have and be playing the digitized files.

On another but similar topic, David Robinson made for me 4X DSD files from 15 ips tapes using the Merging Technologies A/D. Right now for some reason, the iDSD (it's supposed to do 8X DSD) won't play the files but should have soon either the ExaSound or Lampi that should do the trick. It will be very interesting to hear how close the transfers come to the 15 ips tape.

That is odd. I have the iDSD Nano and iDSD Micro here and both play 4X DSD (DSD 256fs) files just fine.
I've played DSD 256 files on the exaSound and Lampizator DSD DAC as well. You should have success there.

Gordon

I've heard MQA and found it very disappointing. To my ears, listening to music at 24/96 PCM or DSD provides much better results.

So we have two people that have personal experience with MQA.

A two point plot and the consensus seems to be that Bob Stuart / Meridian has laid an egg?

A two point plot and the consensus seems to be that Bob Stuart / Meridian has laid an egg?
My negative remarks are only about viability of it in the marketplace. On the technical side, I see the merits of what they are doing but am reserved until I can perform an AB test which I have not had an opportunity to do.

I think the way it is being rolled out hurts as well. Obviously there is lots of interest among audiophiles, and yet few straight answers about MQA. So far, beyond this is really really good trust us, the explanation for how it works is lacking in the public at large. The trust us line isn't going to work even if it is truth. It may simply be too complex to simply come close to explaining. In some sense that was the case with original digital and compact disc. Some of the botched simplifications trying to explain it color and harm digital audio to this day.

So part two if you can't explain it, is that it needs to be really, really good. So good the benefit is obvious. Demonstrating that is a big convincer if that is the case. Yet the demonstrations have been far too curated and have not been what every audiophile wants to hear. That being a good quality recording with and without the MQA process. Straight up, same mastering no tricks. Showing MQA vs MP3 sounds like a lack of confidence. I don't think the larger non-audiophile public cares.

As i have indicated several times I have heard it demo'd at a local dealer. It was a unfamiliar set-up using Meridian's top of the line speakers. I questioned the layout as I was not getting a lot of center imaging, yet a couple of tracks were as good as anything I have heard. I will refrain from providing additional comments until I can hear it is my own or a more familiar set-up

I've heard it on a smaller DSP5200SE system in a small hotel room. I think it shows an interesting promise and I appreciate the theory behind the MQA merits. I also would like to hear it in my own system or a larger system to really come to a conclusion what it can or can't do. And also run some high bitrate PCM/DSD/DXD comparisons.

But on another note, this still is the best shot at making Hires streaming from Tidal a reality and that in itself would be very appreciated atleast from the audiophiles if it delivers.

But on another note, this still is the best shot at making Hires streaming from Tidal a reality and that in itself would be very appreciated atleast from the audiophiles if it delivers.

Don't forget the Sony/Korg initiative that is streaming Double Rate DSD (DSD 128fs) over the Internet. No MQA is being used there. That is certainly a project that offers "the best shot" at Hi Res Audio over the Internet.
http://dsd.st/en/

[video]https://youtu.be/Gcdaogc4i1U[/video]

Paneldiscussion about the future of Hires with Sony, Tidal, MQA and HDTracks representatives.

Mqa

I`ve heard MQA, both at Meridian HQ and the evnte that was hosted with Tidal Hifi i Oslo, Norway - with Meridian Audio/ Bob Stuart and 2L / Morten Lindberg. Were presented different recordings using Meridian DSP 7000SE speakers, Meridian 818V3 prototyp, Sooloos Control15 and all files were either on a Meridian Sooloos MC200 or streamed by Tidal Hifi. Tidial with Morten Lindberg from the label 2L had the Album The MAGNIFICAT streaming at 24Bit/352Khz packed in MQA.

As Morten said for him this is great as he can make 1 file at full 24Bit/352Khz or higher instead of 10 different sample rates, the end users software or hardware will determen what sampling rate will be unpacked, one needs a MQA software or hardware decoder to do this. If end user does not have an MQA decoder they will get a 352Khz file at 88.2Khz.

I have that MQA file, as Ì provided the system, but for now as I don`t have the MQA decoder in my main system that file playes at 24Bit/88.2Khz. As I have a Meridian SE system the first part will be done in the 818 when upgrade to V3 - either decoded in the pre-amp and sent out by the analouge outputs (new high-res are comming) for anlaouge systems or sent digitaly to my DSP8000 SE & DSP7200 SE were the file will be upacked in the speaker itself by the xtra decoder that sees the MQA flag.

I have also done comparison of track`s in MQA and all diffrent recordings from CD - to High rez of the same file. The MQA sound more open, lower noise floor and more natural in my opinon and not compressed.
Problems with most of High Res track is that they have been altering the dynamic range - some has over 16.000 clippings over 0 db on 1 track. So they are compressed and flatend.

I have done comparison of MQA files of Daft Punk`s Random Access Memories and they sounds fantastic as if they were playing live in front of me, all bass and small transients audible, but from the 24Bit/88.2Khz High rez file the Dynamic range the album only gets 8 -20 possible total DR, as low as 6 of 20 on the last track “Contact”. And the files contains a lot of clippings above 0 db. In today compression age DR of 8 is great. I still love this album - realy looking forward to having the MQA version if/when released!!!!!!!!!! But here is the kicker the CD sound better than the Vinyl Edition that seems compressed.I found this that supported what i couldn`t belive I heard.
Daft Punk: CD versus vinyl comparison video
[video]https://youtu.be/DsJ0BldwB5w[/video]

But don`t be fooled by thinking that the new reissued High rez files is always better than the old:
Take a 2015 Iron Maide release of Powerslave from HD Tracks 24Bit/44.1Khz it has a of DR 6, The CD from 1984 has 12DR at the lowest and 14DR at the best, the same vinyl issue from 1984 has 13DR at the lowest and 15DR at the best.
Nirvana 1991 release of Nevermind from HD Tracks (2011) or QZ(2014) at 24Bit/96Khz it has a of DR 7, The CD from 1991 has a 12DR.

But they are not all bad some artist like Bob Dylan has great DR, like the album Blood on the Tracks, 1991 release on CD has DR12 and the HD track 24/96 from 2014 has DR13 - Bob in MQA (The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan ) sound fantastic you can even here were the analogue track was splized.

Three different releases of ZZ Top's song "Sharp Dressed Man" show increasing loudness over time: 1983–2000–2008.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f7/Masvis-zz_top-sharp_dressed_man.gif

Mike Jbara, Warner Music Group, states, “In terms of impact in audio quality it’s a hugely important development and a big step forward. Meridian’s achievement is significant because it goes back to the source of the artists’ recording and provides studio master quality sound while not compromising on the convenience people expect."

"CES 2015: Robert Harley on Show Highlights by Robert Harley, Jan 13th, 2015:Most Significant Product Introduction
Although not a product, I can’t think of anything at CES as monumental as Meridian’s Master Quality Assured (MQA) digital encoding/decoding system. This is the high-res breakthrough we’ve been waiting for."

Here is a video that might give some more insight om MQA:
[video]https://youtu.be/T5o6XHVK2HA[/video]

Just my 2 cents

PerS

Last edited:
Hi PerS, thanks for sharing your experiences with MQA, I too see this as a fantastic new high-rez, high-quality delivery option.

From your post, you clearly were able to compare the MQA'd track to a non-MQA version, but was it done on the same system and in rapid succession on a fully MQA capable system?

My beef with it is the total acceptance of timing resolution being a valid measure of fidelity. As I noted, this is not accepted today as it lacks any bias controlled tests that demonstrate it concretely. There may be some smoke here but fire needs to be followed :). I thought your acceptance of this factor actually went behind even where Bob himself lands as of this moment.

I have been working on time smearing ever since I got a Chord DAC in for review, about 7 years ago. I heard the same kind of improvements with Meridian's apodizing filters. I was also involved with research done with some other AES Netherlands Section members on the relevance of >20kHz bandwidth only to discover that people that could afford proper hifi do not hear anything above 14kHz (except for young singles with a large disposable income). It is as with jitter (on which I published - only in Dutch - in the mid eighties): once you'd heard it, you can always hear it. And I did hear drastically lower time smearing in MQA recordings (as reported in the video and on my site). This admittedly is no scientific proof, but I am willing to bet a bottle of Oban on it......

If you want to be pedantic, "analog" recording on magnetic tape is both sampled and quantized, and poorly at that.
It is sampled because the magnetic flux on the tape is set by the sum of the signal and bias currents. The bias current varies from min to max over the period of one cycle of the bias frequency. Worse, the timing of the setting of the flux level depends on where on the bias waveform curve the sum of the currents occurs. (In other words, jitter.)
It is quantized because the flux level is determined by the number of magnetic domains flipped by the magnetizing field. There are a finite number of domains per unit length of tape, so a finite number of possible flux levels. The number of domains varies somewhat along the tape length, it's not a constant, therefore the total flux varies, which causes noise when read. (Like a digital system where the number of bits for each sample varies randomly.)

My o my, I now wonder what sampling rate analogue tape uses at what tape speed;-)
If you have measured as many professional analogue tape recorders as I did (was editor of the leading pro audio magazine in The Netherlands), you know that tape recorders suffer from many artifacts: head bumps, scrape flutter, HF loss over time, non linear frequency respons, tape saturation and many more. And that is when the recorder is properly aligned on a daily basis. Then there are the many Req-EQ's (as pre- and deemphasis are named with tape recorders), track widths (causing even more head bump when the wrong width is used for playback), modulation noise, and so on. I often hear people stating that vinyl is far better than digital. Ask them what they spent on their record player and what they spent on the cd-player. In many cases - since they don't believe in digital - they have spent far more on the record player and records than on the cd-player and cd's. In fact, it is amazing how good a record player can sound when done properly. And the same goes for digital.

Well, it appears to be a relatively small hifi company attempting to wag the dog of the entire recording industry. If it's not serious, it'll get no traction outside of "audiophile' recordings. Probably audiophile recordings made by Meridian. We'll see.

Tim

Well, they did it before with MLP that is used in Dolby HD......

I'm looking at MQA as the digital comparable to Dolby NR.

Dolby was a complimentary process to lower the tape noise. MQA is targeting the reduction/elimination of encoder/decoder error is sort of a similar way. If it accomplishes that, then the audio in becomes more like the audio out.

That process is aside from the 'above redbook data rate' fold down part of the technology.

CJ

PS...I can't believe I read a comparison between Bob Stuart and the Winer. Wow!

The difference between Dolby NR and MQA is that Dolby never worked flawlessly due to very critical level settings as where MQA claims to protect the integrity of the 'bits put in'.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing