Anyone older in age eventually go from their beloved speakers to headphones instead? Please share!

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
For me, the problems with headphones have nothing to do with tactility. The problems are the distortion of spatial imaging and the annoyance of having an appliance on my head (or in in my ears). The Smyth Realiser deals with the first of these but I know of no solution for the latter.
Looked into the Realiser briefly. Looks like further investigation is ne

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
They did so at his command. Thus, he managed the resistance.
Not to belabor the point, It would be amusing to see you physically restrained in the presence of headphones.:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Alrainbow

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
While sone new models are better
I challenge anyone who thinks headphones cannot compete try sone of these
looks nutty but of any headphones I ever heard these are not a headphone sound
truly a speaker experience

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
After getting Tinnitus in my left ear from using headphones 20 years ago I stopped using them. Speakers only at this point. At 72 I try to stay healthy in all endeavors.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
For me, the problems with headphones have nothing to do with tactility. The problems are the distortion of spatial imaging and the annoyance of having an appliance on my head (or in in my ears). The Smyth Realiser deals with the first of these but I know of no solution for the latter.
"distortion of spatial imaging"
Before I can agree that spatial imaging is distorted I would need to agree on a standard. It certainly is different. It's the source that is distorted. Just listen to binaural.
I agree IEM are uncomfortable. Not so with a well designed over the ear model.
Childs play compared to working with an in room speaker,
C'est la vie. Headphones are not for everyone,

Reactions: dan31

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Not to belabor the point, It would be amusing to see you physically restrained in the presence of headphones.:D
You can picture it if it amuses you but here is the closest I get to it in reality. I have been going to CanJam NYC for many years now (before and after their Covid hiatus) and I must resist all efforts to get me to "Just try this one." I go there to meet people.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Before I can agree that spatial imaging is distorted I would need to agree on a standard. It certainly is different. It's the source that is distorted. Just listen to binaural.
No repertoire.
C'est la vie. Headphones are not for everyone,
Exactly my point.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
""I go to NYC CanJam to meet people" I hope to see you there.

Reactions: Kal Rubinson

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I am 62 years old,i always had good phone system,in 1978 Koss esp 9,than changed with Stax Lambda,then Stax 007 and then 009 with Megahertz Guerra amp,but having since always a room only for the system i near never listened this earphones and always sold,even if their sound is superb.
In meantime i became a fan for the iem with Dap like A&K and Lotoo to listen in the garden,in summer,travel,holiday and sound of some special iem are incredible

xcowdoc

Feb 19, 2020
I am selling my loudspeakers Magico S1 Mk2, REL Carbon Limited subs, and HRS Stand and shelves. I am listening exclusively to my RAAL Ear Field monitors. I have never been able to tolerate headphones for more than a few minutes because they made my ears hot. The RAAL's do not touch your ears. They rest on the top of your head and on memory foam pads on the side of your head. Look up RAAL Requisite SR1A's. They sound absolutely superb. The experts say they are among the very best sounding headphones competing with Abyss 1266 and Susavara's. The RAAL's are so comfortable that I wear them for many hours and forget that they are on my head.

Reactions: dan31

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I recently gave up my music room so my son could have a dedicated play room. I still get to nap in there if I think its a good idea. I relocated my turntable, phono amp and disc player to the home office. I am using dedicated headphones and two headphone amps. The Raal SR1A'a are on the list for next year if I find I'm still listening to music enough to warrant the investment. The Raals would bring my preamp and amp out of their hibernation. I got into listening to my headphones more over the Covid-19 pandemic and I enjoy getting lost in the music when I am in the mood.

theophile

I went the other way. I listented exclusively to a Audeze LCD-2.2/ Violectric HP200 combintion for 2 years. After purchasing my monitor speakers I rarely have used headphones. I just miss how big speakers can sound in a great room. Headphones just do not do it for me.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I wonder why no one has created a suit that lays on you and injects vibrations. Gives the tactile headphones lack. I guess you could sit in a swarm of subs. But that would be very annoying to others.

I also wonder why no one has taken that egg type chair with all the speakers and not built upon that for a fully sealed enclosure. Climb into the listening pod.
Then you could really feel it. Might as well throw some video in on that system.
Newer iems have bone conductance lol close Rex

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
Coming back to thread, I went from headphones to speakers and it is little hard to go back to headphones.

Speakers are much more engaging for me. Headphones like the TC are definitely damn amazing though if amped proper.

Reactions: keithc

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Coming back to thread, I went from headphones to speakers and it is little hard to go back to headphones.

Speakers are much more engaging for me. Headphones like the TC are definitely damn amazing though if amped proper.
Indeed, the TC is a beast. Thankfully, great amplification can be had for less and less nowadays... ;) it sounds great with our Pro iCAN Signature, it's a great solution for amp-picky cans, especially at this price point.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
I am retired, and some would say “elderly.”
I have a nice headphone set up for times when I need the isolation they provide.
If I had to sell my speaker based system due to downsizing or other issues, I could be happy with my headphone setup. But I would not choose it over the speaker based system if there weren’t motivating circumstances.

FWIW, the headphone set up is Pair of Sennheiser HD800S, running into the matching HDV820 amp, fed by the RCA output from a Marantz Ruby SA-KI. I stream to the Ruby’s DAC from a Marantz ND8006. The Ruby has a built in headphone amp, but the impedance match of the Sennheiser to Sennheiser set up gives tighter bass.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I am retired, and some would say “elderly.”
I have a nice headphone set up for times when I need the isolation they provide.
If I had to sell my speaker based system due to downsizing or other issues, I could be happy with my headphone setup. But I would not choose it over the speaker based system if there weren’t motivating circumstances.

FWIW, the headphone set up is Pair of Sennheiser HD800S, running into the matching HDV820 amp, fed by the RCA output from a Marantz Ruby SA-KI. I stream to the Ruby’s DAC from a Marantz ND8006. The Ruby has a built in headphone amp, but the impedance match of the Sennheiser to Sennheiser set up gives tighter bass.
Never! Our Magico M3s excel above any headphone system we’ve heard… While headphone systems offer a lot, a quality a set of speakers will always excel above them!

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
Never! Our Magico M3s excel above any headphone system we’ve heard… While headphone systems offer a lot, a quality a set of speakers will always excel above them!
Not clear on what your “Never!” refers to.

I did not say I prefer headphones. I said I would not choose them unless it were necessary.

I’m sure your M3s are excellent. I like my speakers better than headphones too. But my happiness is not tied to the speakers. My happiness is tied to the music.

Reactions: F208Frank

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing