Anyone Using A Lampizator Golden Gate (with volume control) Directly Into Your Power Amp?

Highlander

Dec 31, 2016
Bonzo, I greatly appreciate your input. A friend made a somewhat lengthy journey today after hearing of my dilemma, and brought along his highly regarded Audio Research Ref 5SE. Another friend who had taken part in the Friday night comparison session also joined in. After some extended comparison, and again, in "my" system, after inserting the REF 5 SE, the Golden Gate direct to the amps still produced better sound overall. There was unanimous agreement on this by all three of us.

The Aries Cerat that you've mentioned is, I'm certain, a great option, but it's just not remotely something I could afford.

JC

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I will be using the VC of a GG for sometime and eventually look to compare it against some preamps. It's good to know that I can be content with the sound while I wait to consider preamp options.

Highlander

Dec 31, 2016
Just a bit of a correction here, the preamp my friend brought for the comparison was an Audio Research REF 5, not the REF 5 SE as I originally thought. I confused it with the 5 SE another friend in Chicago owns. I will admit there was a significant increase in sound stage with the REF 5, but the overall sound, and again, noting this is only in my system, was just a bit thin and sterile vs using the Golden gate directly.

JC

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Just a bit of a correction here, the preamp my friend brought for the comparison was an Audio Research REF 5, not the REF 5 SE as I originally thought. I confused it with the 5 SE another friend in Chicago owns. I will admit there was a significant increase in sound stage with the REF 5, but the overall sound, and again, noting this is only in my system, was just a bit thin and sterile vs using the Golden gate directly.

JC

Interesting, did you change valves. GG couples quite well with AR, both augment each other's sound stage, drive, and air. I have tried with many AR preamps and usually the best valve was the Lampi 45 and then the PX25. Never had it thin as sterile. When you try preamps, are you trying different valves?

Highlander

Dec 31, 2016
At the time of the comparison, I was limited to the Lampizator supplied KR PX4 tubes and Emission Labs 5U4G . I do have a Brimar 5R4GY Footscray due to arrive soon, and a friend is also bringing over his matched pair of National 45's to play with.

The REF 5 was also connected single ended, which "may" have limited its performance? No option though, as I have no balanced equipment.

JC

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

murphys33

Sep 28, 2011
I have made a comparison, GG balanced direct into my Dan Agostino Stereo amp vs a GG balanced into ARC Ref6 and Ref 5SE before my amp. I very much prefer to have a preamp in the chain. When I next send in my GG for any upgrade, I would remove the volume option.

Highlander

Dec 31, 2016
I have made a comparison, GG balanced direct into my Dan Agostino Stereo amp vs a GG balanced into ARC Ref6 and Ref 5SE before my amp. I very much prefer to have a preamp in the chain. When I next send in my GG for any upgrade, I would remove the volume option.

Thanks for the valuable input. And by the way, let me extend my congratulations, that Dan D'Agostino Momentum stereo amp, is just superb, and truly stunning to look at, and the ARC REF6 is also absolutely world class. A friend of mine in Canada has the same amp and preamp paired with Sonus Faber Liliums and I listened to that system extensively on my last visit. Just amazing and inspiring sound quality.

What sound quality changes do you note in your system when the preamps are between the GG and the amplifiers, versus when the DAC is direct into the amp? Any comments would be much appreciated. Thanks.

JC

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
At the time of the comparison, I was limited to the Lampizator supplied KR PX4 tubes and Emission Labs 5U4G . I do have a Brimar 5R4GY Footscray due to arrive soon, and a friend is also bringing over his matched pair of National 45's to play with.

The REF 5 was also connected single ended, which "may" have limited its performance? No option though, as I have no balanced equipment.

JC

The EML is a decent recti, KR and RK are better. Might as well buy the RK based on feedback. PX4 is good, the PX25, 242, and the special anniversary 45s are better. Might as well get those, all these compares with NU45 are etc are not going to be a proper conclusion.

You can put SE from Lampi to AR, and you can see the difference for yourself when you do both SE and balanced from AR to the power amp

Highlander

Dec 31, 2016
The EML is a decent recti, KR and RK are better. Might as well buy the RK based on feedback. PX4 is good, the PX25, 242, and the special anniversary 45s are better. Might as well get those, all these compares with NU45 are etc are not going to be a proper conclusion.

You can put SE from Lampi to AR, and you can see the difference for yourself when you do both SE and balanced from AR to the power amp

Thanks gain for your thoughts, Bonzo, but the amp is also singled ended so no way to try that out. Will look into other tubes, per you recommendations. Any thoughts on the Brimar 5R4GY Footscray that I ordered and have on the way? I was told it was of nearly legendary quality as a rectifier.

JC

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I tried a Brimar didn't like don't know about the footscray part. Thing is it start at the accepted base of reference sound, based on consistent forum feedback, you will have a sound to compare to. Then you can try whatever valves you want to check if they are better or worse from that standard

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

Same preamp Ref6 driving different power amp but I also much prefer having preamp in the chain vs using GG VC (which is very good btw but still not on the same level as this particular preamp IMHO).
And I did what you plan to do from balanced GG1 with VC to GG2 without VC - and I love the result ;-)

Reactions: bonzo75

Trab

Apr 3, 2017
Cracow / Poland
Hold on, are you sure you can use 5R4GY ?
My memory might fool me, but as far as I remember a few years ago I asked Lukasz about those recti family and the answer was negative. Once again, as far as I remember.
If I am wrong, that would be the good news as I have some good, early Brimar and Fivre at hand.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Like Golum said, much better imo to go from balanced GG to SE, unless you can afford the money to buy quads to tune your GG. Then of course you can buy and sell but used market for quads is poor. Though you can buy direct from KR. More important to have the right valves than to have balanced

Reactions: Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Be
Hold on, are you sure you can use 5R4GY ?
My memory might fool me, but as far as I remember a few years ago I asked Lukasz about those recti family and the answer was negative. Once again, as far as I remember.
If I am wrong, that would be the good news as I have some good, early Brimar and Fivre at hand.
Been using Brimar NOS and it’s a great recti...not on the RK level but still i love it..go ahead and try it - no worries

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Like Golum said, much better imo to go from balanced GG to SE, unless you can afford the money to buy quads to tune your GG. Then of course you can buy and sell but used market for quads is poor. Though you can buy direct from KR. More important to have the right valves than to have balanced

The balanced signal in the GG is obtained in the digital or in the analog domain?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Rob181

Oct 1, 2014
Been using Brimar NOS and it’s a great recti...not on the RK level but still i love it..go ahead and try it - no worries

Is that a 5R4GY or a U52 - Brimar NOS U52 are VERY good & would take some beating

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
5R4 - U boat one i did not get (yet)...

RubenV.

Feb 23, 2015
I am using my GG (with superclocks and dsd512 engine and pcm engine) with a pre because of the layout of my set (stereo and surround combined). I use the Classe Omega MKII, and I don't have the feeling of missing out on something...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing