Anyone Using A Lampizator Golden Gate (with volume control) Directly Into Your Power Amp?

Highlander

Dec 31, 2016
Anyone having good results using any of the better Conrad Johnson preamps with the GG?

JC

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Anyone having good results using any of the better Conrad Johnson preamps with the GG?

JC

It will work you just need PX25, the special 45s, and the 242 to see which works best. If you can't get special 45s the RK PX4 are fine for the test

Highlander

Dec 31, 2016
Anyone using or aware of someone using an Allnic preamp with the Golden Gate successfully?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have had a lot of experience with a friend's Allnic L5000 though not with the Lampi. It is musical but colored and does not have good separation, dynamics, dynamic range. He sold it for Soulution. He continues to have an Allnic phono and power amp which I really like. Another sold off his Allnic L5000 for a Nat magnetostat, he also has the top of the line Allnic phono which he and I love. So it is clearly the line stage that is their weak spot. However if you are not into complex music it is engaging

Highlander

Dec 31, 2016
Bonzo, thanks again for some valuable information. Much appreciated.

Also, I am having great difficulty finding a 242 to purchase at any kind of reasonable price. Any recommended sources?

JC

Highlander

Dec 31, 2016
I have had a lot of experience with a friend's Allnic L5000 though not with the Lampi. It is musical but colored and does not have good separation, dynamics, dynamic range. He sold it for Soulution. He continues to have an Allnic phono and power amp which I really like. Another sold off his Allnic L5000 for a Nat magnetostat, he also has the top of the line Allnic phono which he and I love. So it is clearly the line stage that is their weak spot. However if you are not into complex music it is engaging

I had the opportunity earlier today to talk to a very respected dealer who handles Allnic, among other fine audio lines. He agreed completely that the L5000 was clearly sub par, and said it was, in fact the quality of the Allnic L3000 MKII preamp, as well as the phono preamps that he found remarkable enough to take on the entire Allnic line. I'm wondering of the L3000 MKII might be worth a try with my Golden Gate? At the current used prices, it would leave me enough money to try some of the other expensive tubes recommended. Here is a description from a very well known audio contrubutor on a major forum:

"I've had owned couple of giant killer preamps in recent times - Linear Tube Audio MZ-2s and Don Sachs Model two preamp. I won't deny that
both of these two preamps are worth the hype. They are very musical and emotionally satisfying. But the moment, I had the Allnic in my system,
it took my music listening experience to a level leaving both LTA and Don Sachs preamp in dust. The difference was immediately noticeable. I
didn't even have to think for a second which one is better. I think the fundamental improvment was the bass foundation, dynamics (both micro and macro), soundstage and neutrality/transparency. No other preamp I've ever heard comes close to it's bass performance and dynamics. Recalling from memory, LTA may have comparable transparency but thats it. Everything else falls short compare to Allnic. "

Dagogo review:

" It has this really remarkable, quiet background. It is also both beautiful sounding and very transparent. This allows you to hear the air and space in and around individual instruments and singer in an uncanny way"

The Audio Beat review:

"Much of what made the Allnic L-3000 so immediately appealing was its tonality and spectral balance, which were spot on, revealing the interdependence of these two important traits. There was lavish tonal color -- not clumsy coloration but the tinting that, as with photography, gives what's captured the glory of the real thing. With this, the L-3000's top-to-bottom balance was acute, only a slight bit of midrange highlighting preventing perfection.

The L-3000's spatial abilities -- the way it captured the venue andprovided presence through the midrange to transport the performance into the listening room -- made for thrilling listening nonetheless. As with the Allnic H-3000 phono stage I reviewed last year, the L-3000 conjured substantial images amidst wide-open space with rare -- even singular -- ability. "

JC

Highlander

Dec 31, 2016
MY thanks to everyone who has contributed to this discussion, so far, especially Bonzo for his many contributions. I love my Lampizator Golden gate but was surprised, more than a bit, when it became apparent that my system sounded better when I removed my existing, and much liked, preamp. What I am trying to do here is glean as much input as I can from people who own or have owned Golden Gate DAC's, and found preamps that could be used in a system with them where the overall sound was actually improved.

I have no interest in a preamp that simply passes along only what the Golden Gate provides. I wouldnt even want to spend the money in that regard as the Golden gate connected directly to my amp sounds very good. I want a preamp, that, when added into the system allows it to provide "great" sound by the combination of it and the GG. Thank you for any additional help with this.

JC

Reactions: joeinid

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
MY thanks to everyone who has contributed to this discussion, so far, especially Bonzo for his many contributions. I love my Lampizator Golden gate but was surprised, more than a bit, when it became apparent that my system sounded better when I removed my existing, and much liked, preamp. What I am trying to do here is glean as much input as I can from people who own or have owned Golden Gate DAC's, and found preamps that could be used in a system with them where the overall sound was actually improved.

I have no interest in a preamp that simply passes along only what the Golden Gate provides. I wouldnt even want to spend the money in that regard as the Golden gate connected directly to my amp sounds very good. I want a preamp, that, when added into the system allows it to provide "great" sound by the combination of it and the GG. Thank you for any additional help with this.

JC
Hi JC
I have a rather modestly priced Aries Cerat Incito preamp that matches very well with my GG1.5 (latest GG1 spec). I also have a wonderful Silvaweld SWC 1000 RC preamp. Silvaweld is the brand Mr. Park had before founding Allnic.
In my living room system I prefer the extreme transparency of the Aries Cerat over great transparency of the Silvaweld. Both are great performers.
maybe the Aries Cerat would be a great contender for a home demo against the GG inbuilt preamp.

Reactions: bonzo75 and Golum

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I would agree with Christoph. I don't think Allnic as a preamp (the 5000 is the higher model of what you discussed of the 3000, which from your mention seems to be lotus hifi) is deserving of being in the chain after the Lampi. It will choke the Lampi. Take this from a guy who will have the GG in his digital chain and with 98 percent probability the Allnic phono on my analog chain (Unless I decide to go SS on the phono). Get the Aries cerat preamp instead.

There is an used pair of 242 available for 350 quid

Reactions: christoph

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Hi JC
I have a rather modestly priced Aries Cerat Incito preamp that matches very well with my GG1.5 (latest GG1 spec). I also have a wonderful Silvaweld SWC 1000 RC preamp. Silvaweld is the brand Mr. Park had before founding Allnic.
In my living room system I prefer the extreme transparency of the Aries Cerat over great transparency of the Silvaweld. Both are great performers.
maybe the Aries Cerat would be a great contender for a home demo against the GG inbuilt preamp.
+1 on the above...

Reactions: christoph

Highlander

Dec 31, 2016
Thanks again for the information and recommendations. Just to be clear though, the very respected vendor I spoke to, at length, who sells Allnic gear was very clear that the much newer Allnic 3000 MKII was far, far superior to the 5000, and that he did not carry or recommend the 5000 because of its deficiencies. Still, it may very well not be suitable for the Golden Gate, I do not have any information that would allow me to argue that point successfully.

Back when I was first aware that I would be able to manage the purchase of a used/refurbished Golden Gate, I did some research here in the forum of what owners had to say, and noted that the Aries Cerat got mentioned regularly as optimal with the GG. Bonzo, I think you mentioned it up front, in this discussion, if I remember correctly. I would have no trouble going with one of those excepting that I cannot afford the $12k price tag. I've also been unable locate any used ones that have been sold in recent history, which would be what I would target. Perhaps they are so good that no one sells theirs?
I might be able to manage the purchase of a used Audio Research REF5 SE which was recommended earlier, before too long, but several people have noted that it is quite lean and analytical and that's not my style of sound preference.

JC

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Well worth giving the 3000 mk2 a try then

Highlander

Dec 31, 2016
Well worth giving the 3000 mk2 a try then

Thanks Bonzo. I just wish I had a better idea of whether it would truly work well with the GG. Selling off Allnic stuff is difficult as they just arent very well know, and few reviews are out there, excepting some of their superb phono stages.

In a perfect world, a used Arues Cerat Incito would pop up for sale, and I would be buy that with one click.

And does your comment indicate that you agree to the comments made to me about the Audio Research REF5 SE about it being lean and anaylitical without any real warmth?

JC

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
As i have Ref6 i really can’t say it is analytical and not warm sounding...i would say quite on contrary but than again i can’t comment as i did not hear 5SE and the difference between them..

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No the AR is not lean and analytical at all. I just meant I agree no harm in trying out the Allnic. But I thought since you were talking to a dealer you were able to audition it before purchase

Highlander

Dec 31, 2016
No the AR is not lean and analytical at all. I just meant I agree no harm in trying out the Allnic. But I thought since you were talking to a dealer you were able to audition it before purchase

I understand the confusion now. I was speaking of a used Allnic preamp that is currently being offered for sale. The dealer I'm talking to is on the other side of the country, unfortunately, and doesn't even have an L-3000 MKII in stock to sell me, but he has been very kind in talking to me at length about how good he feels that preamp is. He even owns one, despite being able to obviously access the new top of the line 7000, at cost.

If I could audition it, I would do so in a moment. Still, the used one in mint condition, with very nice tubes included, at the price of barely over $4k (original cost $13k) , might well be worth trying out.

As I noted before, in a perfect world, a nicely priced used Aries Cerat Incito would appear, and the decision would be made instantly, but such things don't seem to happen.

I also wish I knew how the GG would perform with one of the better Conrad Johnson preamps, such as the ACT, 16LS MKII, etc.

JC

Last edited:

Highlander

Dec 31, 2016
I've had quite a few recommendations to also make certain that I try a pair of KR 242 tubes in my GG (thanks Bonzo and others). If anyone is aware of someone selling a pair of lightly used 242 tubes at a good price, please let me know. Thanks.

JC

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I've had quite a few recommendations to also make certain that I try a pair of KR 242 tubes in my GG (thanks Bonzo and others). If anyone is aware of someone selling a pair of lightly used 242 tubes at a good price, please let me know. Thanks.

JC

Hi JC,

I have a very lightly used pair of boxed 242s if you want to buy them. They are sat on my shelf right now.

Best.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing