Apple Pays for Lack of Vision With Beats Acquisition (Analysis)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
By Bob Lefsetz, Variety

Money isn’t everything. But Apple’s $3 billion acquisition of Beats Electronics, made official on Wednesday, proved that everybody thinks it is.

The over-analysis of the reasoning behind Apple’s offer, which began long before the acquisition was official, is mind-boggling. We no longer live in an Apple world. Apple dominated music because of the seamless interface of the iPod and iTunes, with the iTunes Store the glue holding it all together. It no longer has a market monopoly. As that dominance erodes, you must come up with a new dominant product, one that hopefully ties all your others together. So far, Apple CEO Tim Cook has failed to do this.

Cook is an operations guy. The company has no vision, and now needs to go outside to find it. Steve Jobs was famous for saying one thing and doing another, decrying this and then doing exactly that. Everybody knew that streaming was eclipsing downloads, except at Apple, where they were adhering to Jobs’ philosophy. Apple had no Plan B — no streaming service ready to be launched. This deal is a desperation move to get into music streaming, and it’s a good thing it did, no matter what the price.

Apple still won’t dominate the market; the leader in streaming is YouTube. The fact Beats Music works on Android is a red herring. No one is looking to pay for streaming yet. Music is already free on YouTube. Beats “curation” was a marketing smokescreen, a dollop of fluff made to make the company look attractive.

Yes, Apple’s new head of retail, Angela Ahrendts, will figure out a way to sell more Beats headphones; she’s a marketing guru. But do you really think Apple wants to own a headphone company — one built upon fashion? Apple didn’t want the headphones, but Beats co-founder Jimmy Iovine insisted upon selling the whole thing. This makes sense: It gives Apple the illusion of cash flow/profit and it allows Iovine to take his money off the table all at once.

But if you assume Beats Music will triumph under Apple, you believe iTunes Radio demolished Pandora, which is untrue, although it does appear that iTunes Radio will have worldwide penetration first. Pandora has prime position in the U.S., and there is a first-mover advantage, especially in tech.

Meanwhile for Spotify, which already has an incredible amount of worldwide penetration, this deal is the best thing that could happen. The more Apple promotes streaming music, the more the category grows.

So the only people who care about this deal are those with stock in Apple, or those who make money off prognosticating about Apple, and those envious of the score Iovine and company made. Iovine got out at the right time. Apple has the deep pockets to compete with Spotify by making the service free. Beats did not have that kind of money. Without this deal, Beats Music dies.

Apple buys Iovine’s relationships with the music industry, where he’s held in high regard and has a lot of sway by marrying a peculiar blend of sycophantic behavior with a willingness to draw the line. He already works for Lucian Grainge, so Universal is in his pocket, especially after having made the company a windfall profit. As for Warner, Len Blavatnik invested in Beats, so Jimmy has him tied up too. Dr. Dre, meanwhile, may be a hip-hop icon, but his recording days are through.

Ultimately, creative companies must be run by creative people. Iovine knows little about electronics and almost nothing about code, but he managed to create the Beats headphone juggernaut (Monster provided the tech) and Beats Music (MOG provided the tech). Either you’ve got insight and the ability to execute — to assemble disparate components for an unforeseen future — or you don’t. Cook doesn’t, so Apple pays.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
The usual nonsense based on the false notion that Apple can't innovate without Steve Jobs. And some things in the article are simply factually incorrect.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Obviously, they don't pay 3Bn. for headphone technology, Beats cash flow or any physical assets. They just bought a brand name, with very strong appeal to the young and hip crowd. I speculate the vision is to use the brand to launch media products (and possibly content) to this crowd. This will show up as a $3Bn. intangible asset ("goodwill") on the apple balance sheet.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
The Beats story is an interesting one and much has been written on this elsewhere. But I'm not here to comment on the business case. Rather, the one thing that just blows me away is- those headphones just suck. They are among the most unlistenable pieces of crap out there. It's amazing to me that they not only sell well, but that they sell at all. Such is the value of good marketing, I guess.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
With Beats, Apple has just bought its way a backdoor into the gaming peripheral market.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
The Beats story is an interesting one and much has been written on this elsewhere. But I'm not here to comment on the business case. Rather, the one thing that just blows me away is- those headphones just suck. They are among the most unlistenable pieces of crap out there. It's amazing to me that they not only sell well, but that they sell at all. Such is the value of good marketing, I guess.

I agree that Beats cans suck, objectively and, to me, subjectively. But it's not just marketing, it's preference. Beats are, to the iPod crowd, what big booming speakers were to most stereo lovers in the 70s and 80s, what bloated, rumbling subwoofers are to much of HT crowd. Measurements don't matter. Accuracy is a fungible concept. For a whole lot of people, Beats bring them closer to the original event. Which was a rave, or booming out of the trunk if some guy's car.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
As alluded to in other posts, I think the deal is more about a streaming platform and relationships with content providers. The headphones provide the cash flow to help justify the purchase price (big enough so Iovine/Dre would sell and stay w/company) for the real targets of the buy. If Beats was just a headphone/audio peripheral company, however fashionable and tapped into the 'younger' crowd, the deal wouldn't have happened.

We would have seen a revamped Apple TV quite awhile ago if not for the inability to cut deals with content providers/cable operators. Eddy Cue was unable to navigate that world; I think the hope is that Iovine/Dre, who are from that world, will help and that's why they might a point to say that will work for Apple moving forward.

Will be interesting to see btw how Beats headphones are featured in Apple stores along with the many competitors they sell.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Another hardware company milking a tech company for silly money. A few years ago you could not give away a hardware company. Now companies like Apple, Facebook and google are paying billions for what should be worth tens of millions. Think Nest. Thinks Oculus Rift. Now Beats.

Of all companies, Apple had no need for the "cache" of Beats. They have that in spades themselves. They also need no path into the music industry. They are a dominant force there. Having a music guy in their fold is actually a bad thing. He is liable to take the side of music industry far more than any Apple employee ever did. After a few fights internally he will leave and buy an island in caribbean to enjoy the stockholder money Apple handed them.

My prediction is that the beats assets will start to fade and a few years from now, no one would remember what Beats was all about. Such is the nature of making founders of a start-up billionaires. They will want to leave a big company less than a second after their contractual obligations end. And meanwhile, they will create lots of trouble internally as to make them want to let them go -- early if possible.

As a tech company, Apple had no need for the assets of Beats in streaming/software. My sense is that they did this to show something "new." Let's see if my negative view prevails or not :).

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
We'll see what game plan they have Beats and whether it works out. It's not an obvious acquisition (to me anyway), but I highly doubt they did it just to show something new or if they weren't pretty certain the Beats crew could help them out in strong ways.

In general though yeah, I think a lot of these things are just multiple purchases in hope that maybe one or two might stick. Most are never heard from again. That said, I think Oculus Rift prove to be a good buy. It's the only ground breaking consumer tech I saw the last few years at CES.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing