Aqua Formula - settings new levels of R2R sonics and price performance

ok......I'm spinning my first disc in my room in 18 months. the La Diva transport has landed. Aqua has built an impressive piece of kit......with a first class look and feel. it's a top loader and everything feels silky smooth and built to last. nice solid in the hand remote. and sounds very sweet out of the box with a little Fairfield Four. using a Sablon Audio RJ45 cable and trying a Sablon power cord. both brand new.

just sitting on an extra Adona granite/wood shelf sitting on the floor on cones through the carpet to the concrete......on the stock footers. later I may move the SGM to this spot and have the La Diva sit on top of the Formula dac to take full advantage of the Herzan. but for now i'll go this way to get comfortable with the operation of the top loader out in the open.

Is the RJ45 for the i2S bus ? Look forward to more as if runs on ... Enjoy !

How does the Aqua transport compare to the USB input sound wise ?

A friend of mine had borrowed the Aqua Formula + matching Aqua transport combo for a week, but was less than impressed. He was only using his micrRendu + LPS-1 on USB side though (no upsampling), so that may have made all the difference in the world compared to SGM.

He has the dCS Puccini with Clock and looking for an upgrade. So far he liked the new dCS Rossini and Chord Dave the most.

How does the Aqua transport compare to the USB input sound wise ?

A friend of mine had borrowed the Aqua Formula + matching Aqua transport combo for a week, but was less than impressed. He was only using his micrRendu + LPS-1 on USB side though (no upsampling), so that may have made all the difference in the world compared to SGM.

He has the dCS Puccini with Clock and looking for an upgrade. So far he liked the new dCS Rossini and Chord Dave the most.

not got that far yet comparing the transport to files through the SGM. I figure i'll play it for a week before I do any meaningful A/B's. it's fun listening to CD's I have not heard in a couple of years, and some new ones I've never listened to that I have accumulated. it does sound musical just on it's own as I listen. but then the dac is fully broken in and it's (the dac) sitting on a Herzan; significant issues.

as far as the Formula dac I only know it with the SGM, and it does take some time for the tonal weight and full nuance to come in. wonder if that Formula was fully run in? and I don't know the micrRendu at all. everything up-sampled to dxd through HQ Player on the SGM is likely a big deal.

microRendu, powered by UpTone Audio LPS-1, sits somwhere between your regular Mac and SGM.

I would expect that both SGM (hardware) and upsampling (HQP) make a considerable contribution to what you hear through the Formula DAC.

Finally Geoffrey Armstrong and I got to spend some quality time with the Formula being fed with DXD 24 / 352 from HQ Player running Closed Form with NS 5 noise shaping. Alex at Alma Audio alerted us to the sonics of the Aqua running with the Closed Form Filter and we kiss him on both cheeks for his experimentation and post. The sonics of Redbook upsampled to DXD were excellent, more detail, body, tonality, density and dynamic contrast. The flow and energy of the music was foot tapping.

The sonics of native DSD 64 tracks from Channel Classics converted to DXD with Closed Form and NS 5 were simply stunning. I have heard Rachel Podger's Bach many times but the level of detail, nuance, insight and sheer beauty of the presentation were a real joy. There were melodic motifs in the playing that I simply did not know were there until today. Geoff and I did not want the music to stop.

The take away seems to be a hybrid DSD and PCM playback process seems to avoid the digital potholes and deliver an incredibly musical journey. It's IMHO and YMMV, you need to hear and judge for your selves.

The system that we used today was not mega buck amplification, but the level of musicality had us grinning from ear to ear. The Formula at Sound Galleries has a full week of burn in, so there is still a significant amount of improvement ahead

Finally Geoffrey Armstrong and I got to spend some quality time with the Formula being fed with DXD 24 / 352 from HQ Player running Closed Form with NS 5 noise shaping. Alex at Alma Audio alerted us to the sonics of the Aqua running with the Closed Form Filter and we kiss him on both cheeks for his experimentation and post.

The sonics of Redbook upsampled to DXD were excellent, more detail, body, tonality, density and dynamic contrast. The flow and energy of the music was foot tapping.

The sonics of native DSD 64 tracks from Channel Classics converted to DXD with Closed Form and NS 5 were simply stunning. I have heard Rachel Podger's Bach many times but the level of detail, nuance, insight and sheer beauty of the presentation were a real joy. There were melodic motifs in the playing that I simply did not know were there until today. Geoff and I did not want the music to stop.

The take away seems to be a hybrid DSD and PCM playback process seems to avoid the digital potholes and deliver an incredibly musical journey. It's IMHO and YMMV, you need to hear and judge for your selves.

The system that we used today was not mega buck amplification, but the level of musicality had us grinning from ear to ear.

Hi Ed,

Hope you are well. Were you listening with the trios and valves? Cheers.

Hi Ed,

Hope you are well. Were you listening with the trios and valves? Cheers.

Hi Bill,

It was Duo's paired with Trio Bass horns, Bespoke TVC and a single digit k Euro EAR amp

I am looking forward to visiting your new sound room in the not too distant future.

To keep things in context, we are still loving GG DSD 512 with KR 242 or other top tubes. The emotion that DHT brings floats our boat too !

Hi Mike ... How's the LaDiva transport coming along. Does it fare,anywhere as well as the SGM + Formula combo ?

Hi Mike ... How's the LaDiva transport coming along. Does it fare,anywhere as well as the SGM + Formula combo ?

sad to report no progress.

been busy at work and battling getting sick for 10 days now (Doc says I have some sort of Bronchitis.....everyone seems to be sick here.....long cold dark winter), so right to bed when I get home. little listening or posting time. and my wife is making sure (meal ticket;)). when I do listen it's play list from server, not transport use. and no choice to tear apart my gear to install the transport on top of the dac to allow it to benefit from the Herzan. then I'm traveling this weekend back late next week. at least it will be to a warm(er) place.

I will do my best to get to it.

sad to report no progress.

been busy at work and battling getting sick for 10 days now (Doc says I have some sort of Bronchitis.....everyone seems to be sick here.....long cold dark winter), so right to bed when I get home. little listening or posting time. and my wife is making sure (meal ticket;)). when I do listen it's play list from server, not transport use. and no choice to tear apart my gear to install the transport on top of the dac to allow it to benefit from the Herzan. then I'm traveling this weekend back late next week. at least it will be to a warm(er) place.

I will do my best to get to it.

Feel better soon , wishes for a speedy recovery .

Changing subject slightly, has anyone heard the new version Aqua La Scala with the discrete board v the Formula. I understand the Formula is more advanced, but how close is the actual performance in the opinion of anyone who has heard both.

A buddy of mine is considering buying it, and wanted to have an idea of where it sits in the range. He likes tubed DACs and R-2Rs, has owned the Kondo DAC and some Audio Note units as well.

Wonder also if it is better than the Big 7 in general sonic terms? Sorry, might be a long shot, but may give me some idea. Thanks in advance.

astrostar,

I haven't heard the La Scala yet, but I have good experience with the Formula, and having just received the entry-level La Voce the other day, I'm starting to understand the Aqua line.
Both units are solid state, but one of the interesting things on the Aqua DACs was their tube-like way with things. That lower midrange bloom that's so very tubey, it's there in spades, on both units. Coupled with the SGM server, you get beauty *and* transparency! The R2R architecture guarantees the most natural sound, without fatigue.

cheers,
alex

Ah, the SS dac that sounds tubey
One of the Holy Grails
Like a supermodel drop dead gorgeous girl who REALLY can cook

Ah, the SS dac that sounds tubey
One of the Holy Grails
Like a supermodel drop dead gorgeous girl who REALLY can cook

Slightly off topic... okay, a lot off topic, but last year we spent Christmas with some friends including an American supermodel who was modelling at the same time as Naomi Campbell, Linda Evangelista and Christy Turlington. In fact, she knew all of them quite well as they often worked together, but moved to Europe and lost touch with most of them. She had a lot of great and crazy stories that weren't as hedonistic as I had imagined, which probably says more about me than it does them.

I asked her about the demands on supermodels and especially what they ate. She said her daily intake of calories was an egg, coffee and water. An egg. A single egg, and that's it. I was shocked, but even more so when she said she was constantly told she was too fat and needed to slim down. She said she still has friends in the industry and that one of her friend's daughters is a working model today. She said a very high-profile model who she wouldn't name eats like this: She goes to a fancy restaurant every night, orders what ever she wants from the menu, and when it's brought to the table lets it sit there without taking a single bite. In other words, she tortures herself mentally and emotionally, deriving satiation from food by never ingesting it, on top of regular exercise and yoga. I actually felt angry. Really, really angry. She said it's not uncommon, and the reason they take water everywhere with them is without it they'd literally be dead.

So... er, how about that La Scala thingy...?

With many, many apologies for the detour,

853guy

That story is beyond appalling
I'm surprised there are no models going on homicidal rampages at shows, seriously
Just eat that ******* steak, already
No LOL

Changing subject slightly, has anyone heard the new version Aqua La Scala with the discrete board v the Formula. I understand the Formula is more advanced, but how close is the actual performance in the opinion of anyone who has heard both.

A buddy of mine is considering buying it, and wanted to have an idea of where it sits in the range. He likes tubed DACs and R-2Rs, has owned the Kondo DAC and some Audio Note units as well.

Wonder also if it is better than the Big 7 in general sonic terms? Sorry, might be a long shot, but may give me some idea. Thanks in advance.

The Formula vs La Scala II Optologic comparison would be interesting as to how close the half as expensive La Scala gets to the flagship.

Among other things, the Formula has a better power supply for the digital section (and better transformers overall), better resistors for the R2R ladder and separate boards for each R2R ladder (the La Scala has all 4 ladders on one board). However, given that the Formula employs a solid stage output stage and the La Scala a tube/mosfet output stage, its hard to know whether the difference in the sound can be mainly attributed to the different output stages or the 3 elements above.

Srajan Ebaen reviewed both but I am trying to grasp from his La Scala II Optologic review (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/aqua3/1.html) as to what the difference really is, besides the La Scala being thicker, more opaque and the Formula being faster and clearer. I can't even read between the lines...

I think the diffrence was discussed over at CompAudiophile a couple months back.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing