ARC ref10 remove handles

yuhengdu

Jun 24, 2016
Has anyone tried to remove the handles on the front plates of the ref10? I found that there are two screws inside the back of the front panels that holds the handles. Probably they can be removed. I am wondering has anyone tried it? I feel it will look better without those handles. Thanks.

Yuheng

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Do you have a plan on how to deal with the holes left in the faceplate from removing the bolts?

yuhengdu

Jun 24, 2016
Do you have a plan on how to deal with the holes left in the faceplate from removing the bolts?
Asked the AR service people and here is the reply:

"Summary: Yes, it is possible but the handles are what hold the faceplate to the chassis so if you remove the handle, you'll need new screws, washers and nuts that will hold the faceplate onto the chassis."

I will probably try to unmount the handles and match the bolts from lowes this weekend. Will keep posted.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
You’ll probably need a nice hex head bolt, but matching the finish would be hard to do. Stainless would probably look good. Not sure what kind of clearance you will find inside where you want to put a nut on that bolt. You may need to work from top and bottom to access. If the faceplate holes were counter-sunk a flat head hex would be nice, but again matching the finish would be tough.

Good luck!

Reactions: yuhengdu

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Perhaps what identifies and ties ARC preamps and linestages together across most of the company's history are silver faceplates and rackmount handles.

ARC_Museum_left_wall.jpg

From the ARC Musem at the factory.
Are you sure you want to remove those iconic handles?

Reactions: Pacha and yuhengdu

yuhengdu

Jun 24, 2016
Perhaps what identifies and ties ARC preamps and linestages together across most of the company's history are silver faceplates and rackmount handles.

View attachment 73702

From the ARC Musem at the factory.
Are you sure you want to remove those iconic handles?
I was trying to make it look more compact since I put them directly on top of the shelf. All my previous equipments does not have handles. But maybe they are good as it is. I just need to get used to it. : )

Reactions: tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I was trying to make it look more compact since I put them directly on top of the shelf. All my previous equipments does not have handles. But maybe they are good as it is. I just need to get used to it. : )

As their top-of-the-line model linestage and phonostage, I'm thinking ARC does not want them to look compact but rather to stand out. The handles are beefy and give the units (control+power supply) a substantial look when next to each other in a rack.

ARC-ANGEL-2.png

That's from 3 years ago when I had the Ref 3 Phono in for review. Top: ARC Ref2 SE (phono), middle: ARC Ref 10, ARC Ref 3 phono, bottom: ARC Ref 10 PS, ARC Ref 10 Phono PS, ARC Ref 10 Phono. I never published that review but it was interesting to have the 2SE, 3, and 10 phonostages together for comparison. 4 remotes!

Reactions: yuhengdu and Bobvin

yuhengdu

Jun 24, 2016
As their top-of-the-line model linestage and phonostage, I'm thinking ARC does not want them to look compact but rather to stand out. The handles are beefy and give the units (control+power supply) a substantial look when next to each other in a rack.

View attachment 73819

That's from 3 years ago when I had the Ref 3 Phono in for review. Top: ARC Ref2 SE (phono), middle: ARC Ref 10, ARC Ref 3 phono, bottom: ARC Ref 10 PS, ARC Ref 10 Phono PS, ARC Ref 10 Phono. I never published that review but it was interesting to have the 2SE, 3, and 10 phonostages together for comparison. 4 remotes!
Very nice rack and a beautiful convoy. haha. It actually looks a lot nicer aesthetically if all the gears have handles so it stays consistent.

Reactions: tima

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014

View attachment 73819

As an owner of a Ref 2se and a Ref 5se, I would be very interested in what your review found if you were open to sharing it.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
As an owner of a Ref 2se and a Ref 5se, I would be very interested in what your review found if you were open to sharing it.

Regarding the ARC Ref 3 phono compared to the 2se and RP10 phonos... Looking back on my notes (circa 2017) I can say a litle bit, but here won't give supporting music examples which I have in spades and which a thorough review includes.

All units (2se, 3, RP10) share the characteristic modern ARC house of sound of general clarity, air, spaciousness and a well represented soundstage. No mistaking any of these for other than an Audio Research product. Among themselves there are of course differences. My very first reaction to the 3 (direct from my notes) was: "its different - I'll need time to assess it; I had no immediate sense on how it was different, but it is different."

My next note reads: "Elves and Dwarves - the 2se has a slight upper mid-range emphasis while the 3 has a slight mid-bass emphasis."

Compared with the 2se, the 3 has a fuller, weightier sound that is more forward whereas the 2se is a bit lighter and not quite as articulate in the mid and lower bass. The 3 is a more mature sound than the 2se, it is more muscular, more controlled with slightly better texture and discrimination among instruments in space. Dare I say more masculine. I was of mixed mind wrt the 3's forwardness - it was punchy with drive and motivity but that characteristic struck me as somewhat hi-fi, lacking the balance of the 2se - it was bit forced and less natural. While their differences were not night and day, overall I found the 3 an advance over the 2se, overall it is a more complete phonostage. Having owned a 2se and 5se, they remain an excellent combination

Comparing the 3 to the RP10 was a different story. Architecturally the RP10 is two 2ses, one for each channel and each with its own power supply. The RP10 is superior in every aspect; it is more refined, transparent and balanced as reflected in the difference in price. I could go into detail on differences here, but hopefully that will suffice. On the used market the RP10 is a great value given the price of a new 3se.

As you know, the Ref 3 was upgraded to the Ref3se which I have not heard but from what I've read (hearsay) the sonic differences are not as great between the 3 and 3se as they are claimed between the Ref 6 and 6se linestage. Ymmv, the best assessment is to listen to a unit in your own system. Let me know if you have specific questions.

Reactions: Pacha

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing