Are 4K BR movies worth it?

Skylab

May 14, 2016
Chicagoland
Just watched Thor Ragnarok on 4K UHD BR on my 75” LG 4K set...absolutely fabulous. I’ve watched a few other 4KUHD BR discs I thought were not better than a good HD BR...but Thor, and Cars 3 were both amazing.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I just want James Cameron to re-do "The Abyss" in BR or HDR and add Atmos (it is only in DVD format .....or Laser Disc). The Director's cut of that movie made sense. The theatrical cut made no sense. I love that movie.

I love that movie too Chuck. James Cameron has to be real busy; my copies of this film on physical video formats are from the widescreen THX Best Picture and Sound VHS tape from Fox Studios and the non-anamorphic 480i DVD.
Just a 3D conversion on Blu-ray would make me happy to add in my movie library. ...Or in 2D, I'm not too demanding. It'll come eventually, it's not a question of why but of when.

Lol, The Abyss (1989) always keeps popping up; good one for you to mention again.

* I also like The Keep (1983) from Michael Mann with the music score from Tangerine Dream. That one's not even on DVD, just on tape (my only physical video format copy). I don't know if it's on Laser Disc (yes it is).
? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Keep_(film)

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Just watched Thor Ragnarok on 4K UHD BR on my 75” LG 4K set...absolutely fabulous. I’ve watched a few other 4KUHD BR discs I thought were not better than a good HD BR...but Thor, and Cars 3 were both amazing.

Every time someone mention that film I always think first of this short clip with Cate; she elevates the film into the fifth dimension. If it wasn't for her it wouldn't have that same movie magic.

https://youtu.be/4ctkPlwPn4E

* It's on 3D Blu-ray too, from overseas. It's not bad, not bad @ all.
Actually it's pretty good, one of the best 3D representations.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last edited:

Skylab

May 14, 2016
Chicagoland
I totally enjoyed the movie, more than I expected to. Good mix of sci-fi and fantasy, action and humor. And demo-worthy 4K UHD visuals.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I am waiting for the 4k "treatment" to be applied to "Master and Commander."

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
At the moment, and in my opinion (not shared by many), without an ultra-bright projector or one of the newer flat panels, HDR (not 4K) buys little, and in many cases, is not as good as SDR/WCG. In addition, I must add that my "good enough" level for video is definitely lower than it is for audio

On my 65" OLED display, 4k is whatever while HDR is amazeballs.

I don't use discs anymore though, so can't comment on any physical media.

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010
They are worth it for me as I like the Atmos soundtracks and HDR which is more a wow factor. I don't buy very many movies.

Hi Vern! With my video setup 4k Blu Ray discs thanks to HDR in particular are clearly worth all the bucks I spend for 4k HDR discs!

Dark room. Sony VPL-5000ES laser projector Lumagen Radiance Pro is great for tonemapping HDR into SDR container. 14’ wide Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope Snomatte screen. Ken Whitcomb calibrated.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I can also vouch for UHDs being much preferred over regular bluray. I will also say that while the increase in resolution is nice, it's not always apparent - at least not in the way that you think.

More pixels isn't as important as the quality of the pixels. When you go from 8 bit color to 10 bit color there's a significant difference. Much more depth to the picture. Like anything else (and certainly audio) once you experience it it's hard to go back. Regular bluray can look just fine, but it looks flat by comparison.

Or put another way, UHD is like good tape. 1080p bluray is OK vinyl. :)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I can also vouch for UHDs being much preferred over regular bluray. I will also say that while the increase in resolution is nice, it's not always apparent - at least not in the way that you think.

More pixels isn't as important as the quality of the pixels. When you go from 8 bit color to 10 bit color there's a significant difference. Much more depth to the picture. Like anything else (and certainly audio) once you experience it it's hard to go back. Regular bluray can look just fine, but it looks flat by comparison.

Or put another way, UHD is like good tape. 1080p bluray is OK vinyl. :)

+1

last night I watched the original 'Blade Runner' in 4k UHD on my new 4k JVC RS4500 front projector. a significant step up over the original Blue Ray. and the Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 sound track added to the greater visual depth and texture really pulls you into the movie. very transporting. you see and hear into the media in a greater sense.

the Panamorph Paladin DCR lens (vertical stretch anamorphic) arrived Thursday, and my Lumagen Radiance Pro (4242-18G) video processor should arrive next week. I've not experienced either yet, but am told they will take things further with more light, better pixels, and greater resolution. i'll then re-visit the 4K UHD's I've already enjoyed over these last 3 weeks.

the new projector is now installed in a closet next to my Home Theater (no noise, proper throw for my new DCR lens, uses a more optimal part of the main lens). my last projector was hung from the ceiling in-room. I had a dedicated 20amp circuit wired to a ceiling outlet just for the projector. yesterday my installer finally had time to move that 20amp outlet into the closet, so I could give my new projector better power. it's now looking a little better. I suppose I will be also trying a better power cord at some point.

i'm going to use some of my 'extra' Wave Kinetics A10-U8 footers under some of my Home Theater gear to see what that does.

I will add that older 1080p Blue Rays also look better now, but I do have a better screen now too (Stewart StudioTek 100).

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
4K has made them improve the grain pitch on actors' makeup again.

I remember when 1080 first came out on broadcast TV, suddenly you could dramatically see the lipstick, eyeliner and clumpy pancake on the faces of male actors.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing