Aries Cerat Ianus Essentia Owners thread

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Just wanted to share some initial thoughts on the new AC Aperio integrated amp.

The first thing that shocked me was how transparent this amp is! I have revealing speakers and thought I was hearing everything I could especially since the recent Taiko Extreme updates, but the AC has a way of revealing more information without sounding analytical or cold. The AC sound is something I’m not familiar with, but it displays a vivid, wholesome and realistic sound. The amp itself is fast, dynamic, detailed and very musical.

There is lots of tune-ability to this amp, great if you are happy to play around, with the 2 current and 2 offset dials in addition to changing tubes. So far I’m liking the sound but it does require some time I think to get the sound that you most like - poor recordings have nowhere to hide given the revealing nature the amp has.

I’ll share a bit more as I do more listening over the coming week.
Hi Levitator,
What is the rest of your system? Just curious about what you have inserted the Aperio into.

Levitator

Jul 1, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
Hi Levitator,
What is the rest of your system? Just curious about what you have inserted the Aperio into.
Alsyvox Botticelli X speakers, Taiko Extreme, Lampizator Baltic 3 or MSB Select DACs trying with the Aperio integrated and Kassandra Mk2 DAC. Cables are a combination of Elrod and Shunyata…

Reactions: morricab

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Alsyvox Botticelli X speakers, Taiko Extreme, Lampizator Baltic 3 or MSB Select DACs trying with the Aperio integrated and Kassandra Mk2 DAC. Cables are a combination of Elrod and Shunyata…
I guess the Kassandra drives the Aperio the best...it has high output with low impedance.

Levitator

Jul 1, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
The decision has been made - very impressed with the Aperio but decided to go one better, Essentia’s ordered today! Kudos to Stavros for designing this series of amplifiers…

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The decision has been made - very impressed with the Aperio but decided to go one better, Essentia’s ordered today! Kudos to Stavros for designing this series of amplifiers…
Do you think the Essentias are significantly superior?

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
@Levitator
Congratulations on your order. What was the deciding factor on your decision?

Levitator

Jul 1, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
@Levitator
Congratulations on your order. What was the deciding factor on your decision?
I could have been very content with the Aperio, and to me its the best integrated amp I’ve heard. Part of me was already contemplating monos as I’ve got the space for them, but I wasn’t able to demo the Essentia’s. After chatting to Stavros and my dealer, it became clear that going with the Essentia’s and then adding an external preamp would bring quite a significant uptick in sound, plus some extra power and greater flexibility with adding other components. At this stage the Impera with low gain is the likely path I’ll go - as much as I’d like to pair with the Ageto, the price point is right up there!

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I probably have at least 500 hours in the Essentia's now without a Preamp. They are so crystal clear and silent. I can only imagine what they would sound like in a studio. They are super detailed and linear. Sometimes I will be on my computer and I have to look up because I hear this instrument in the background that I have never heard before. I marvel at Essentia's ability to capture these instruments and images.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I have played with the settings of the Essentia a little bit over the last month. Original settings...M1 30; M2 120. Stavros mentioned his favorite at 20 and around 90. I tried 21 and 92. For me slightly more musical and lush. I am now back to 30 and 105. That might be my sweet spot for detail and overall musical enjoyment.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Hello gents

We are extremely proud to announce that the review of our Essentia amplifiers is out, from Mono and Stereo, resulting in "2023 Editor's Choice" Award.
"..To put it succinctly. These are the dream devices..."
A big thank you to Matej Isak

Enjoy the reading.
Stavros
Congrats on getting the reward. I have not come across many fellow Essentia owners. Could you please provide insight on a comment the writer made regarding feedback settings'.

But, that's not all. There is another unusual feature that has been seen but not implemented in this form. Essentia offers four different feedback settings.;0 dB, 6 dB, 12 dB and 16 dB.

What does that mean to me? How does it affect SQ? What are the factory settings? Thanks for explaining.

Last edited:

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
Danos
Congrats on getting the reward. I have not come across many fellow Essentia owners. Could you please provide insight on a comment the writer made regard feedback settings'.

But, that's not all. There is another unusual feature that has been seen but not implemented in this form. Essentia offers four different feedback settings.;0 dB, 6 dB, 12 dB and 16 dB.

What does that mean to me? How does it affect SQ? What are the factory settings? Thanks for explaining.
Hello Will

The amps leave the factory on zero feedback setting. There is a quide on manual for how to use but feel free to ask for any clarifications here.

I am not sure how many users use feedback after trying it.So far i know none ,and for good reasons :)

Cheers
S

Tbzc

Feb 4, 2011
Hello Will

The amps leave the factory on zero feedback setting. There is a quide on manual for how to use but feel free to ask for any clarifications here.

I am not sure how many users use feedback after trying it.So far i know none ,and for good reasons :)

Cheers
S
Stavros, hi.

In my understanding many single stage amps invert phase. Does Ianus Essentia invert phase?

Thanks for answering.

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
Stavros, hi.

In my understanding many single stage amps invert phase. Does Ianus Essentia invert phase?

Thanks for answering.
Hi

It can be either,inverting or non inverting. The output is floating secondary,so it can be inverted or not,depending on what you use as positive as a user.
The key point is that the amp behaves exactly the same if you choose to connect positive terminal as positive or treat it as negative terminal.

Cheers

Reactions: Stef and Tbzc

DocAlex

Oct 6, 2023
Sweden
Hi .
Long time I just read all conversations about Aries Cerat . Now I‘m here . :)
Have AC Ianus Essentia monos ( End gamer in my opinion with amplification ) and Heléne DAC with Incito S pre . Just appreciated to join to the Aries Cerat family after long audio journey from late 80‘s .
If it will be interesting my instagram : https://instagram.com/stereopassion?igshid=xhnzhff0pafm
Best wishes to all audiophiles and music lovers!

Attachments

• IMG_4963.jpeg
    IMG_4963.jpeg
    915.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0004.jpeg
    IMG_0004.jpeg
    723.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4687.jpeg
    IMG_4687.jpeg
    953.9 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Hi .
Long time I just read all conversations about Aries Cerat here. Now I‘m here . :)
Have AC Ianus Essentia monos ( End gamer in my opinion with amplification ) and Heléne DAC with Incito S pre . Just appreciated to join to the Aries Cerat family after long audio journey from late 80‘s .
Lovely system Alex … Vintage Eames lounge chair ? or do you fidget a lot ;)

Reactions: DocAlex

Verdier

Oct 7, 2018
Hi Doc Alex!

Welcome to the Aries Cerat Forum and congratulations on your components! It looks very good. I wish you a lot of fun with it! And you have very cool speakers. Nice!

I don't know if you have any further plans. I can't see the other equipment very well, but I can see a record player. I just want to mention it: The Aries Cerat Talos is an incredibly good phono stage at an acceptable price. And I know phono stages for 30 - 40 k€ that can't get past the Talos. You can also get Talos used for a good price from time to time. But you may already have a very good phono stage.

Regardless: have fun with your system and have fun here in the forum.

PS: I also use Essentias. Very good power amplifiers!

Reactions: DocAlex

DocAlex

Oct 6, 2023
Sweden
Hi Doc Alex!

Welcome to the Aries Cerat Forum and congratulations on your components! It looks very good. I wish you a lot of fun with it! And you have very cool speakers. Nice!

I don't know if you have any further plans. I can't see the other equipment very well, but I can see a record player. I just want to mention it: The Aries Cerat Talos is an incredibly good phono stage at an acceptable price. And I know phono stages for 30 - 40 k€ that can't get past the Talos. You can also get Talos used for a good price from time to time. But you may already have a very good phono stage.

Regardless: have fun with your system and have fun here in the forum.

PS: I also use Essentias. Very good power amplifiers!
Thank you Verdier!
Now i have Luxman EQ500 phono but thinking about AC Talos phono sometimes :)
P.S . Read a lot about your audio system

Reactions: Verdier

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing