Artificial ambience

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Is it possible for a system to inject airy artificial ambiance (or depth in the soundstage)? A question that came up regarding an Aries Cerat product.

Is it possible for a system to inject airy artificial ambiance (or depth in the soundstage)? A question that came up regarding an Aries Cerat product.
When you say air do you mean the reverbarent field in the recording venue... I suspect there are very few recordings that have an untampered ambience ... you can often here a lovely reverbarent decay on voice that is mysteriously missing on the instruments.
I can't imagine how gear could "add" this but it is certainly the case that it can reveal it.. or so it seems to me.. perhaps the distortion of tubes gives this impression.
The more detail retrieval and the better the clarity of the presentation, the more you hear.

Reactions: nirodha and hopkins
IMHO it’s possible but mostly because of room than audio gear.

There are very few stereo recordings, most of the music is recorded as dual channel mono. Some of the stage depth, dimension, long decay of notes etc are added by room reflections as you described as artificial ambiance. Best way to be sure about this is listening same tracks with a pair of headphones and doing a comparison with audio setup.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing