Aries Cerat DACs vs. other brands

Evolution of DAC circuit design moves faster than other components and some DAC makers offer factory updates to install newly-available parts or revised powering circuitry. In my own case, I’ve sent my non-AC DAC in for update once and my reclocker twice. Has Aries Cerat ever offered Kassandra series owners an update or an upgrade? Or perhaps the nature of AC DAC design obviates the need for updates?

Last edited:
Evolution of DAC circuit design moves faster than other components and some DAC makers offer factory updates to install newly-available parts or revised powering circuitry. In my own case, I’ve sent my non-AC DAC in for update once and my reclocker twice. Has Aries Cerat ever offered Kassandra series owners an update or an upgrade? Or perhaps the nature of AC DAC design obviates the need for updates?
The Aries Cerat DAC is truly ahead of its time, surpassing many other DACs even as competitors constantly improve their hardware and software. Speaking from my own experience, despite the numerous software upgrades and enhancements my Playback Design MPD has undergone, it still falls short compared to the Kassandra DAC, which hasn't seen any changes to its hardware or software. The Kassandra simply outperforms its price range and can rival DACs that cost twice as much

The Aries Cerat DAC is truly ahead of its time, surpassing many other DACs even as competitors constantly improve their hardware and software. Speaking from my own experience, despite the numerous software upgrades and enhancements my Playback Design MPD has undergone, it still falls short compared to the Kassandra DAC, which hasn't seen any changes to its hardware or software. The Kassandra simply outperforms its price range and can rival DACs that cost twice as much
i think A lot more than twice as much, but its a matter of taste also, as always.
AC dac's and company do not chasing "technology" per se' as they are a music machine to my ears and taste. and i think its Stavros approach also
i used too, as a lot of audiophiles concerned about formats (DSD etc) and progress on digital repro, but since some times, as other equipment for me, i realises you need to love the sound more than chasing numbers and chip's diagram.
more so when (i) listens to streaming most of the time - 16/44.1 is the most organic and flowing to my ears, i don't care about all that "know it all" plays dacs out there... i don't evan care for my hundreds of albums i got in DSD or such.
im just playing music and enjoy immensely.

This also applies to Metronome DACs, these DACs have a musical understanding that is rare in the hi-fi world. It is not a dissecting tool that breaks the music down into its individual parts and hurts your ears. It is a pleasure to listen to digital media in any form.

I’ve compared my aging Lampi GG2 to Helene in my room. Both are R2R dacs (my Lampi has Soekris R2R). But I do not think it matters, as Ron said, implementation is the key. Initially, I was very much impressed with the tone and smoothness of the Helene’s presentation, especially compared to my super-dynamic Lampi with 242 tubes. However, after switching back to Lampi, I was surprised that I could hear more on both ends of the spectrum. I invited another audiophile, and we both heard the same: better dynamics, more base and more air in HF with Lampi vs Helene. I know other people, who moved from Lampi to Aries Cerat, so maybe it’s my taste or my room or both. Anyway, Helene is a very good dac that has very smooth and non-fatiguing presentation, very analog one. But some people like myself are used to a more modern presentation and may prefer other dacs.
I am interested in understanding in an easy to understand way how the Lampi GG 3 or PAC compares to Helene? How different is the sound ? Heard e280f sq in Helene is a big deal if you can find matched and tested

i think A lot more than twice as much, but its a matter of taste also, as always.
AC dac's and company do not chasing "technology" per se' as they are a music machine to my ears and taste. and i think its Stavros approach also
i used too, as a lot of audiophiles concerned about formats (DSD etc) and progress on digital repro, but since some times, as other equipment for me, i realises you need to love the sound more than chasing numbers and chip's diagram.
more so when (i) listens to streaming most of the time - 16/44.1 is the most organic and flowing to my ears, i don't care about all that "know it all" plays dacs out there... i don't evan care for my hundreds of albums i got in DSD or such.
im just playing music and enjoy immensely.
Thanks to all for your responses. I think you have answered my question and confirmed that Aries Cerat DACs are less in need of updating than others. When a DAC is so scrupulously designed and constructed, and does not “chase technology,” e.g. ultra high upsampling rates, perhaps there’s less need for tinkering down the road. And when the design approach changes substantially (see the Ithaka DAC), I imagine it is very unlikely any of the innovations could be retroactively adapted to earlier designs.

Reactions: byrdparis
I think for all prospective owners of Taiko Olympus Aries Cerat DACs might be more interesting than Lampizator DACs.
My understanding is that all AC DACs can be upgraded to XDMI but with Lampizator only Horizon and Poseidon.
My bet is that Helene with XDMI sounds better than Ithaka with USB...
I am very curious. :cool:

I think for all prospective owners of Taiko Olympus Aries Cerat DACs might be more interesting than Lampizator DACs.
My understanding is that all AC DACs can be upgraded to XDMI but with Lampizator only Horizon and Poseidon.
My bet is that Helene with XDMI sounds better than Ithaka with USB...
I am very curious. :cool:
I am skeptical that it alone can surpass the Ithaka due to a single input enhancement. The Ithaka DAC holds a unique place in my audio journey, reigniting my interest in digital sound. Its ability to deliver performance and large crescendos with three-dimensional precision without sounding analytical or sharp while maintaining tonal integrity is truly remarkable.

Reactions: byrdparis
I am skeptical that it alone can surpass the Ithaka due to a single input enhancement. The Ithaka DAC holds a unique place in my audio journey, reigniting my interest in digital sound. Its ability to deliver performance and large crescendos with three-dimensional precision without sounding analytical or sharp while maintaining tonal integrity is truly remarkable.
When you listen to Ithaka which input do you use and which source do you use upstream to it?
Thx

When you listen to Ithaka which input do you use and which source do you use upstream to it?
Thx
Usually, the Ithaka mainly uses USB connections, but it can actually work with other inputs too. I haven't had the chance to test those out yet, though.

Many users have experienced fantastic results with the Taiko and Pink Faun setups. I plan to pair mine with the Xact S1 Evo once it's delivered, currently using the Summus/Euphony combination.

Reactions: matthias
Thanks to all for your responses. I think you have answered my question and confirmed that Aries Cerat DACs are less in need of updating than others. When a DAC is so scrupulously designed and constructed, and does not “chase technology,” e.g. ultra high upsampling rates, perhaps there’s less need for tinkering down the road. And when the design approach changes substantially (see the Ithaka DAC), I imagine it is very unlikely any of the innovations could be retroactively adapted to earlier designs.
i think more than digital path technology or progress has infused to the new Ithaka and more as a result of Triodfet technology that Stavros applied to all new machines this last years with the Ianus series. so its a progress in "sound Q delivery" and not (just, if any) in digital diagram.
its still not taking DSD or other (whatever) formats that are floating, canceling and such.
pure music from "Helene" dac up to the very top with *wow and shock* face every step of the way...
believe me, ive done that. t
he only dac that seams that got a new life with "tickle down technology" is the Ithaka minor that Stavros debut last Munich and its ITHAKA with less parts and smaller in size with the same sound signature and lower price.

i agree, its not connection related, the ITHAKA is a rare beast and it will play a lot better than anything.
the sound coming from this unit is a revelation and it need to be heard to understand what digital can do... what ever source you plug it behind.

Hi Brad,

Re “airy”: I want to hear all the air captured in the recording, but not a bit extra. I do love skilful recordings that capture musicians in naturally-resonant spaces, but if a recorded voice or piano, for instance, is very close-miked, I don’t want my system to inject airy artificial ambiance.
hi there. One of the best remarks ever! I have been wondering about this myself since being enamoured by Avantgarde Mezzos lately (my dream loudspeaker): is it possible for a system to inject airy artificial ambiance (or depth in the soundstage)? This question warants a seperate thread. Thanks for bringing it up :) !

hi there. One of the best remarks ever! I have been wondering about this myself since being enamoured by Avantgarde Mezzos lately (my dream loudspeaker): is it possible for a system to inject airy artificial ambiance (or depth in the soundstage)? This question warants a seperate thread. Thanks for bringing it up :) !
the AC will not inject anything that not there in the recordings. but you will get EVERYTHING!
some remarks we love to say in stavros "lab" at Cyprus.
do you know how ppl say "the system sound like the players are in your room?" so when you listen to AC system its not that, instead it transport you to that venue! :)

Not everyone uses a server / streamer as source for their AC DAC .
Agreed,
but as according to the answer mostly USB is used I assumed the source is a server/streamer.

Last edited:
the AC will not inject anything that not there in the recordings. but you will get EVERYTHING!
some remarks we love to say in stavros "lab" at Cyprus.
do you know how ppl say "the system sound like the players are in your room?" so when you listen to AC system its not that, instead it transport you to that venue! :)
The question remains: is it even possible to insert artificial air / depth into audio reproduction?

The question remains: is it even possible to insert artificial air / depth into audio reproduction?

Are you enquiring of this particular manufacturers products or of devices manufactured to replay audio media in general ?

If the latter then perhaps you might elicit more interest were you to start a new thread in the General Audio section .

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing