Atma-Sphere Class D Mono blocks

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
This is one of my client/friends room. I am bringing my Dartzeel and my Lino Channel D3.3 phono pre over for a comparison to his Airtight 300B and his phono pre. I am going to see if he has the time for me to bring an Atmasphere Class D amp as well.

I will also have my double speed Nakamici cassette deck

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0(2).jpg
    imagejpeg_0(2).jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: thomask

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I have about 240 hours on a pair of Atmasphere monos. I have not built up a opinion yet, but I keep coming back to an interesting listening observation. I have always listened with most any system I can remember by sitting on the end of my ottoman with my head forward and face to the floor. Basically the top of my head aimed at the speakers. The Atmasphere are the first amps where I find I sit in the same place but my head is up with my face directly at the speakers. I am thinking it has something to do with the distortion being so low.

I feel I need to let these amps go for 2 more weeks before I really start listening in ernest.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
My fingers are crossed.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I have about 240 hours on a pair of Atmasphere monos. I have not built up a opinion yet, but I keep coming back to an interesting listening observation. I have always listened with most any system I can remember by sitting on the end of my ottoman with my head forward and face to the floor. Basically the top of my head aimed at the speakers. The Atmasphere are the first amps where I find I sit in the same place but my head is up with my face directly at the speakers. I am thinking it has something to do with the distortion being so low.

I feel I need to let these amps go for 2 more weeks before I really start listening in ernest.
What a peculiar way to sit and listen...looking at the floor... :oops:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
1674560466223.png

Schroeder listens to live music this way. It's not for everyone but he's not alone.

Tom

rando

Sep 22, 2019

At least one physical activity we've discussed before routinely finds me unselfconsciously assuming a similar posture. More than once an old lady has taken it upon herself to slap the back of my head for appearing to be sleeping somewhere they felt it was inappropriate. I commiserate with your being upbraided.

At this early point a snap towards sitting up and paying attention may be due to any number of things. I'll withhold a few suspicions to that end. Some audio related and at least one related to the end of your prosperous career as a home landscaper.

Will look forwards to reading how this amp journey goes.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I find it odd people find it odd. A famous statue is of a man with his head down and forward with chin in hand. Not much different than how I may listen. It has the added advantage of removing reflection off my body before the sound wave hits my ears.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Also, if you have glasses, they won’t come in the way of the sound

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
  • Haha
Reactions: ACHiPo

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I find it odd people find it odd. A famous statue is of a man with his head down and forward with chin in hand. Not much different than how I may listen. It has the added advantage of removing reflection off my body before the sound wave hits my ears.
He is not looking at the floor though…and he is not supposed to be listening (ASFAIK) to music. Btw. The thinker is (originally) a small bronze at the top of huge bronze doors called “The Gates of Hell” by Rodin…the doors sit outside the Zurich Kunstmuseum so I get to see them regularly.

Reactions: Argonaut and rando

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
He is not looking at the floor though…and he is not supposed to be listening (ASFAIK) to music. Btw. The thinker is (originally) a small bronze at the top of huge bronze doors called “The Gates of Hell” by Rodin…the doors sit outside the Zurich Kunstmuseum so I get to see them regularly.
Neither am I looking at the floor. My eyes are closed. I'm in my mind, not the room.

Reactions: paolo

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Head posture has been studied by psychologists for some time. I believe I remember people with photographic memory look up when recalling.

omasciarotte

Feb 24, 2022
Saint Paul MN US
www.maat.digital
Anyone here have a pair of these yet? From what I hear these will cure you of any tube need.
$5,400/pair. Get in line.

I don’t have a set as yet, but expect to get them in for review, most likely in AudioKey Reviews. I did get to hear them at AXPONA 2022. From my show write up in July 2022 audioXpress, “In Ralph Karsten’s Atma–Sphere room, his new Class D monoblocks were a revelation. Expecting to hear about high costs, the constrained availability of parts and the need to address climate change directly through reduced energy use, I was instead floored to hear Ralph tell me his amps best his tube designs for fidelity.”

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
So far I could say they do a very good job of not being there. Its almost like they don't have a voice, they just amplify the signal. People say they need a good 400 hours to break in. I want to make sure they have plenty of time to settle into what they are suppose to be.

Reactions: ACHiPo

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Interesting. I wonder if he is contemplating new speakers and what his wife will do when she sees them?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing