Audio Advertising & Education

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
I recently watched a RMAF12 seminar discussing what changes could be made to the audio business model to grow industry. But the discussion seems to keep centering around "preaching to the choir" by relying on the press and shows. That's why the majority of people don't have a clue identifying audio manufacturers, or how well executed audio can dramatically improve the music listening experience and home theater.

Instead of solely relying on audio shows and the press, IMO the audio industry should start aggressively using the automotive business model that largely relies on aggressive advertising to sell and lease cars including many high priced models. Pricing doesn't appear to be a hindrance to demand for that product because many of the ads promote the benefits of the product and a live style.

That's why the high end audio industry should begin spending some serious money on advertising the benefits to good music listening and home theater using well designed and executed audio products. I know media ads are expensive (especially prime TV), but the objective should be finding the largest audience to grow the industry. Perhaps either a consortium of audio manufacturers could ban together to generally promote affordable audio products, or perhaps some of the more successful manufacturers (e.g.; B&W, Wilson Audio) could start the ball rolling. It seems to me many of the "converted" would eventually be inclined to improve their audio systems by moving up to ever increasingly better audio products.

Simply relying to the same group of people year after year to "spread the word" is not growing the industry.

I recently watched a RMAF12 seminar discussing what changes could be made to the audio business model to grow industry. But the discussion seems to keep centering around "preaching to the choir" by relying on the press and shows. That's why the majority of people don't have a clue identifying audio manufacturers, or how well executed audio can dramatically improve the music listening experience and home theater.

Instead of solely relying on audio shows and the press, IMO the audio industry should start aggressively using the automotive business model that largely relies on aggressive advertising to sell and lease cars including many high priced models. Pricing doesn't appear to be a hindrance to demand for that product because many of the ads promote the benefits of the product and a live style.

That's why the high end audio industry should begin spending some serious money on advertising the benefits to good music listening and home theater using well designed and executed audio products. I know media ads are expensive (especially prime TV), but the objective should be finding the largest audience to grow the industry. Perhaps either a consortium of audio manufacturers could ban together to generally promote affordable audio products, or perhaps some of the more successful manufacturers (e.g.; B&W, Wilson Audio) could start the ball rolling. It seems to me many of the "converted" would eventually be inclined to improve their audio systems by moving up to ever increasingly better audio products.

Simply relying to the same group of people year after year to "spread the word" is not growing the industry.

As you mentioned, advertising in large run mags is beyond the means of most high-end manufacturers. There were a few, however, like Wilson and Krell, who did take out some ads in mags like The Robb Report. I don't remember them being particularly happy with the results but perhaps Debby if she's reading this can comment more.

AAHEA looked into the possibility of some sort of industry 'coop' ads some 15 or 20 years ago and IIRC there were some issues with anti-monopoly laws.

The other issue that came up was getting everyone -- or at least a large percentage of manufacturers to agree -- on an ad.

Perhaps either a consortium of audio manufacturers could ban together to generally promote affordable audio products, or perhaps some of the more successful manufacturers (e.g.; B&W, Wilson Audio) could start the ball rolling. It seems to me many of the "converted" would eventually be inclined to improve their audio systems by moving up to ever increasingly better audio products.

What economic incentive do they have to do this right now when the top end customers are clamouring for ever more expensive kit, and margins are much, much better at the deep end? Its the same problem Intel has when confronting ARM-based processor systems - there's no premium margin to be had there. Ditto Apple confronting Android mobile systems.

Some companies have tried product placement. I don't know if this ever created any traction. I remember SOTA, Duevell and Thor being on House with credits to boot. Is Thor Audio actually back now?

Some companies have tried product placement. I don't know if this ever created any traction. I remember SOTA, Duevell and Thor being on House with credits to boot. Is Thor Audio actually back now?

While I wouldn't buy any of their products, I think that the Fine Sounds group (who recently bought McIntosh) is the one who has the clearest shot at succeeding in the "mainstream", as they're able to sell the whole "high end audio" experience with their own brands.
Their acquisition strategy seems to be going in that direction too. Build premium, expensive products for those who want to stick with their brand, and market the hell out of the cheaper stuff. But now they have to start working on selling outside of the niche, instead of just cross-selling or up-selling.
If you look at their portfolio right now, it's clamoring for more mainstream exposure. I know it might annoy some dealers, but I think they should even open show rooms, in major cities, in partnership with a local dealer, or even on their own, in the absence of a strong enough dealer.

alexandre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing