Audio Nirvana - First you must enter the Hell, work your way out and then you deserve a place in Audio Paradise - my journey w Talos Ref phono stage

vess

Nov 4, 2012
Sofia, Bulgaria
www.audio-bg.com
Audio nirvana - reward for those entering the Hell, only to set up and tune and experiment endlessly to eventually make it

I suspected my tango dance with Talos Ref won’t be easy as with other components, but that desperate and difficult, you can easily give up and listen to one of the extraordinary AC DACs.

But there is no way for me to surrender. I am Aries after all. And Talos LE is coming to us soon. How can I not work it out with Ref ? What do I do next with the LE, if I can’t make the Ref sing. Do I deserve AC, if I can’t make their products work in best possible way ...

I started with turntable, tonearms , cartridges set up. For good or worse, I prepared Micro Seiki SX8000 with 4 SME tonearms - 3 x 3012R and one 3009R. Complications all the way. Cartridges include Red Sparrow, Etsuro Urushi, Jan Allaert Formula One and Grace F9E.
I concentrated on RS in the beginning, but this extremely revealing cart ain’t behave for a good fortnight. I mean the way I know it can - quite possibly the best cart right now. Either I did not choose right interconnect, either set up wasn’t perfect, or Talos Ref needed to settle into the system. Or I didn’t play right records. I started to think I am too picky and seek the impossible.
Until recently , or should I say today . Today is the day everything clicked together in a magical way. Music was flowing the way I love. Ironically it started with Ennio Morricone bad record , which sounded so emotional, I was brought back to the westerns of my childhood I adored . I was teleported some 45 years back, lovely experience.
Then it continued with Bill Evans, Tom Waits, Mussorgsky, Curtis Counce ( incredible music and recording ), Diana Krall - Boulevard of Broken Dreams, etc. So good, so natural , so transparent soundstage full with emotional music.
My guess is that beside all fine tuning and set up, Talos Ref just needed certain time to settle into the system. And the system is almost full LE Symphonia. Except the Talos LE. Which reminds me - is it going to be that tough or even harder to make the best out of LE ... At least I am more confident now and hope to have patience.
Best thing goes to those prepared to wait, well working hard, while waiting
LE , LE, where are you ...
P.S. Almost forgot- all carts sound excellent, surprisingly Grace MM is fabulous, well not so surprisingly

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing