Waversa EXT-LAN Reference and Streamer - My Take

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
ctsooner,

Sounds great! Very nice to hear from a fellow EXT Ref owner. While I am digital only, I would not profess to have indepth technical knowledge nor even hugely extensive digital experience past probably a few of the later generation digital lines. (I happen to have heard the DCS Vivaldi Apex but not TOTL, MSB nor Wadax).

That said, I really really like what the EXT Ref is doing in between the Zanden transport and Zanden DAC.

Reactions: ctsooner

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
I guess I better post my review of the Reference Plus. Watch for it if you're interested. I better update my avatar too.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I read all your comments on the other thread about the Ext Ref and remembered that you and I had 'discussed' on that thread as well. Great to re-read your review!

ctsooner

Jun 20, 2023
I’m not big on hyperbole. Never have been. I know that when I post it may sound as an absolute, but I always realize we hear differently. When I find a device that sounds good to everyone, 5eres something fundamental correct going on. I too am digital only as I can’t keep getting up to clean and change albums. Those days are over, but you can have a great sounding digital system, but it takes feeding it the right power and lowing the noise floor as well as lowering the various jitter (timing issues).

im an MSB over DCS guy for many reasons. That’s why I got the Brinkmann once the price got to where I could afford it. I need that ‘analog’ sound. JMHO. The Waversa gets me there. Just so neutral, like AQ cables/cords. Not everyone’s cup of tea.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Very interesting. Need to hear MSB. In fact, would like to hear Wadax, Audio Note DAC 5th...APL, Horizon, TOTL...but curiously also somehow Destination Audio (for some reason, like the idea of 2 completely separate PCM and DSD platforms in one player)...plus I like the care, approach and interesting vision with which they seem to design their equipment.

Reactions: Sammy2000

ctsooner

Jun 20, 2023
Very interesting. Need to hear MSB. In fact, would like to hear Wadax, Audio Note DAC 5th...APL, Horizon, TOTL...but curiously also somehow Destination Audio (for some reason, like the idea of 2 completely separate PCM and DSD platforms in one player)...plus I like the care, approach and interesting vision with which they seem to design their equipment.
Fully get it. My Brinkmann does both separately. I'm not sure, but it may also change PCM to DSD, but I can't remember. lol.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fully get it. My Brinkmann does both separately. I'm not sure, but it may also change PCM to DSD, but I can't remember. lol.
They do indeed do PCM and DSD separately! Very interesting reading...

ctsooner

Jun 20, 2023
They do indeed do PCM and DSD separately! Very interesting reading...

Thanks. Love the DAC now that I’m using the Waversa Ref, it show how much this dac can do. Amazing.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Agree...it's a system.

ctsooner

Jun 20, 2023
I know this thread may be dead, but I'm not sure where else to post. I have now used the EXT Ref with my Brinkmann Nyquist mk2 and recently installed the EXT 1 in front of it. These products are just amazing me in how they shape the music. They make digital much more like analog than digital. There is just zero hash on top and the bass is rock solid. There is the correct overhang of notes which most digital doesn't do properly (is that part of the jitter?).

My buddy has the top Vandersteen set up with a pair of Vandersten 7 mk 2 and the large Vandersteen subs integrated. He has the newest DCS Rossini DAC with external clock and it's the APEX version. I talked him into trying the EXT Ref and Ref +. He spoke with John and was sent the Ref+ to try. It never make it back to Oregon. He is blown away. this guy is the same guy who told me that his digital is so good, that it couldn't get better. It has and in all the right way. He is an analog guy first. He has an amazing rig set up. Vandersteen speakers are time and phase correct (I'm not sure if any other speakers on the market are truly time and phase correct, but live music is. It's probably one of the major reason's I love the Vandersteen line. That said, my friend has upgraded all his power cords and interconnect's to the top Audioquest Hurricane to Dragon. As you can see it's a high end system

He called me when he installed the Ref+. He was in shock as I told him that at our level of digital, using the EXT 2 at min, is a MUST. Adding the Ref unit took my digital up a few notches. It is NOT incremental as nearly all upgrades are. He said that using the Ref+ is just another world of digital audio. He is playing his digital much more than analog. That says it all to me.

I am trying to set up the streamer now as I want to put it against mine. I don't use the internal steamer of the Nyquist as I have a very high end streamer/server. Matt Clott of TAS and one other pub also has my unit and said it's just a hair behind his new Taiko that he reviewed. I'd die to own one, but it's 30k plus. I will report back on how the W2 server mk2 sounds vs my The Memory Player by Laufer Techniques. (Sam Laufer is a dear friend and lives close by. He said he's bringing over his brand new server/streamer in the next couple of weeks to play with. It's an all new design and built in a stunning new case that's milled by a local shop here in CT. I think you can even get it anodized in any color you want, but that's a story for another day, lol.

Sorry to drone on, but if anyone has questions, but get in touch and ask away. I"m pretty much an open book and highly opinionated. I get out a lot and hear a ton of gear, so I have a decent idea how good a product is or can be if set up correctly. Enjoy your music.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats! And nice to read from those who love their analog and have made their comparisons of digital + Waversa to their analog -- probably a good idea of what Waversa is doing that this is the comparison people are making.

I am digital only and really like Waversa Ext Ref Plus. Enjoy!

Reactions: MichaelHiFi

ctsooner

Jun 20, 2023
I’m also digital only. Hookimg jo the streamer today to see how it compares with The Memory Player streamer /server I use. It’s nearly as good as the Taiko, so it’s a large task.

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
I ordered a HiFi Rose RS130B Network streamer transport for an added system (wife's fault, she had to have the BIG Ushers). The HiFi Rose has a fiber input but is also fitted with a RJ45 input of supposed very good quality. The Rose will go upstairs on a second system using the Allnic D10000 and Usher Grand Towers.

It will be interesting to rotate the Waversa Lan EXT + between the Wavelet II and the Rose transport/streamer, Fiber vs RJ45/Waversa.
Can fiber conquer Waversa magic?

Congrats members!

ctsooner

Jun 20, 2023
I ordered a HiFi Rose RS130B Network streamer transport for an added system (wife's fault, she had to have the BIG Ushers). The HiFi Rose has a fiber input but is also fitted with a RJ45 input of supposed very good quality. The Rose will go upstairs on a second system using the Allnic D10000 and Usher Grand Towers.

It will be interesting to rotate the Waversa Lan EXT + between the Wavelet II and the Rose transport/streamer, Fiber vs RJ45/Waversa.
Can fiber conquer Waversa magic?

Congrats members!
I can’t wait to hear more. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully I can get the streamer up and running to compare it to my current server/streamer which is only a TAD below the Taiko.

brianehrlich

Sep 29, 2021
Los Angeles
Hi All,

I currently have a fair amount of waversa front end (smart hub 2.0, Wcore 2.0, Wbridge Standard, Ext Ref +. I was previously feeding it via Ethernet to my Ayon S10 DAC, but I ended up swapping the Ayon for a Lampi DAC which doesn't have Ethernet. I may end up swapping the Wcore/bridge for a different server/streamer in the coming months. What I'm wondering is does the Ext Ref + have the same impact outside of the waversa/Ethernet ecosystem. Whatever server I end up will likely be USB centric (for the Lampi) so the ref + would be relegated to duty between my network and the server for streaming music only (Tidal and Qobuz). Is anyone using the ref + in this manner? And if so is it as impactful as it is as part of the audio chain, as opposed to being part of the network?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi All,

I currently have a fair amount of waversa front end (smart hub 2.0, Wcore 2.0, Wbridge Standard, Ext Ref +. I was previously feeding it via Ethernet to my Ayon S10 DAC, but I ended up swapping the Ayon for a Lampi DAC which doesn't have Ethernet. I may end up swapping the Wcore/bridge for a different server/streamer in the coming months. What I'm wondering is does the Ext Ref + have the same impact outside of the waversa/Ethernet ecosystem. Whatever server I end up will likely be USB centric (for the Lampi) so the ref + would be relegated to duty between my network and the server for streaming music only (Tidal and Qobuz). Is anyone using the ref + in this manner? And if so is it as impactful as it is as part of the audio chain, as opposed to being part of the network?
Sounds like a great system. I have never used the EXT Ref Plus the way you do...it currrently sits between our transport and DAC and our Zanden digital system...and it is amazing. One data point.

brianehrlich

Sep 29, 2021
Los Angeles
Thanks for the feedback. In my system it follows the smarthub, core, and bridge and then feeds the DAC. It's pretty amazing. Once I have some of the new pieces in place it will be interesting to see what it does in front of the server/transport. I'll report back.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing