Waversa Audio EXT-LAN Reference Plus - My Take

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
Waversa LAN EXT Reference Plus Ethernet Isolator

I fondly remember the Zenith clock radio I had back in the mid-sixties. I listened to the local radio stations endlessly and made sure that I had tuned those stations in with utmost care because, after all, I wanted the clearest signal possible. Listening to music was so simple back then, and music was simply better than it is now, too. Not in every respect, of course, but – simpler.

Throughout my life, audio has occupied my home and has been my primary hobby. With my becoming a computer nerd, computer audio naturally became a focus of this hobby. Goodbye Nakamichi cassette deck, hello CD player. Oh, but do not worry: I kept my Technics SL1800 and albums.

Computer audio and high-end audio are like a death sentence one imposes on one’s hobby. I broke my first really good CD player doing modifications I had no business performing. When you wanted something truly good in digital land, you paid dearly for it. Nowadays, good digital can be had for relatively small amounts of money. Still, there are endless innovations and products to enhance one’s digital experience. And then there is, of course, the absolute convenience of streaming audio, both locally and from afar. And this is where the idea of sending data over ethernet comes into my review. It should be so simple, but this is ‘high-end’ audio, so it is not.

So, I set about with a high powered fanless server, HQPlayer, micro then ultraRendu, EtherREGEN, linear power supplies, cables, you know, typical stuff one needs for computer audio. In doing so, there were countless hours learning HQP, setting up the server, determining the best hard drive, best memory and just trying to keep things lit. Thank goodness for my turntable. The network is stable now and sounds great. Still, however, I invested in a solid CD Transport and an amazing DAC, the Allnic D-10000. But this isn’t about that DAC; this is about a LAN filter.
Some months ago, I reviewed the Waversa Systems Wstreamer and the Waversa LAN EXT Reference (an ethernet “filter”). Here was a product that moved me both in the way of musical enjoyment and in “just WTF is going on here with my network”? How was this passive device able to clear up the audio signal? I ended up writing a review on that product, the Waversa LAN EXT Reference Ethernet Isolator. It is posted on WBF.

After having lived with the Reference unit for some time and appreciating what it did for my network streaming setup, I was able to get my hands on the top-of-the-line Waversa LAN-EXT Reference Plus. More filtering? It showed up as a much larger version of the EXT Reference, even though with the same configuration, which is simple: 2 ethernet jacks. CATx goes in, CATx goes out, and nothing more. No power, no settings, no software. Boy, do I like simple. Unfortunately, reviewing this device was not so simple. I wanted a clean slate – that is – As simple as I could get, to show what the Waversa is doing with my network and how it compares with other sources, including different routers and services! And, of course, how it compares to its little brother, the EXT Reference. This was going to take some work.

I started with a network cable (CAT8) fed into a network switch (a cheap D-Link switch) plugged directly into a computer port. The computer uses a Dell brick power supply. I am using a USB output port on the computer to an Allnic D-10000 DAC’s USB input.

I played a number of tracks, new and old, familiar tracks and some new. I had no complaints about what I was hearing, knowing that new speakers will replace what we have. However, my wife would complain on occasion, stating that her ears noted a buzz. I did not detect that. It was a sound I could live with (not the perceived “buzz”), but of course, this is a hobby and nothing will ever be good enough it seems. My wife never really warmed to our speakers and will remind me of those line arrays we once owned. Still, she certainly enjoyed listening patiently while I performed the necessary swapping and testing for this review. She’s a very good, patient wife.

On to the Waversa LAN EXT Reference Plus. With this new filter inserted between the network switch and the computer, it was easily noted how much calmer the music played. It was immediately noted as I went for the remote to turn up the volume. It wasn’t that the actual decibels were lower, the filter does not affect volume; it was much more than that. Music had more space, the lines of instruments were drawn more distinctly, and one could see deeper into the tracks. The tone did not change IMO; it was simply rendered with less, using my wife’s word, “distortion.” The LAN EXT Reference performed the same feat only on a much lesser scale. The EXT Reference Plus is in a different league in this regard. Whereas you might sit at the edge of your seat and be aware of a bit of say for lack of better descriptor “stridency”, the Reference Plus filter set you back in your chair as music flowed so very cleanly, projecting the brilliance of the D-10000 DAC, which is to say, there is no DAC in the system. Once again, I had to ask myself, what is actually wrong with my network that the filters improve the sound so much? I switched the CAT8 for a CAT6 cable, shielded and as cheap as possible because that is what came with the house. I could not detect a difference between the 2 CATx cables.

During this time, I was asked a question by an astute WBF member regarding the quality of USB with the Waversa LAN filter. Great question! I use a Network Acoustics USB Muon as my reference. I decided to replace that with a Supra Excalibur, also a good USB cable for not a lot of money. It didn’t take long to come to the same conclusion I had with a review I had written some time ago on the Muon. The Supra added a bit of edge and simply could not match the qualities of the NA Muon. The Waversa USB cable too, not tested here but compared some time ago against the Muon, was on equal footing with the Muon.

Now let us compare the LAN EXT Reference Plus with my CD Transport, a Pro-ject RS2-T, using an inexpensive AES cable to the D-10000 DAC. The Pro-ject had always edged out any streaming option I put against it. Now it was too close to call. My wife and I went back and forth on this one, trying to detect a signature, but in the end, still too close to call. Fascinating. OK, let’s add the Uptone Audio EtherREGEN, a network switch that removes electrical noise from the network. I thought there would be no difference, but I was wrong. We believed there was a slight improvement. In fact, we compared this streaming method now to the CD Transport and felt the Waversa streamer, with the EXT LAN Plus, the USB NA Muon and the EtherREGEN slightly edging out our transport!

Another comparison. I played one of my wife’s favorite songs, Led Zeppelin's Kashmir. We compared the streamer to the transport. It was a very tough call. It came down to Robert Plant’s voice, really. You could go either way so I will not call a winner – yet. Let us see what happens when I grab my 1975 ‘Physical Graffiti’ album, played to death (only vinyl never dies, it seems), against the digital solutions.

As one might expect, the vinyl version gave more of a 3D landscape. Plant’s vocals felt a bit more human. The vinyl did not have the utmost clarity, but it made up for that by presenting a holistic picture of the performance. Maybe It's nostalgia? It just seemed as though it added a bit of warmth. Yes I know vinyl right. And going back and forth, I can easily see that there could be a split between the vinyl crown and the digital crowd. We had to admit that we both preferred the vinyl version. I am guessing this is why the market for turntables continues to flourish. Naming vinyl as a winner IN OUR SETUP does not mean we won’t be streaming music. I haven’t found a way to create a playlist in vinyl, and it is difficult to discover the latest music with one’s vinyl collection, and expensive to buy records based only on their album covers.

At the last minute I decided to attempt one more go at the Waversa. I really wanted to beat this device because it's expensive and again, what is holding back the bits of my network? I added the Ultrarendu which takes the USB cable off the computer motherboard and adds too, HQPlayer, a software solution with seemingly an unlimited amount of filters to play with as long as you have the computer horsepower to deal with the more exotic ones. My server, being a pretty powerful unit, was able to utilize some processor intensive filters. I found a good combination and used that for comparison.

After adding all the components I had it did get closer to the Waversa standing alone. Adding the Waversa back in the chain (adding it to the Ultrarendu, etherREGAN, HQPlayer software chain) I believe we experienced the best streaming sound yet. It was a complex solution however and during this test, making handshakes with all these network components, tested my patience. The Waversa however, does not need a handshake, just network cable in and out.

The Waversa LAN filters presented us with a new landscape for streaming audio. If you are thinking you haven’t any “distortion” in your network chain, you might be amazed at what you won’t hear when the Waversa LAN filters are inserted. The LAN EXT Reference Plus was a major step up from the Reference. Expensive yes, but a serious bit of gear. As a bonus, too, no power cord and no linear power supply needed, just as the lessor Waversa LAN products. As I mentioned at the beginning, the clearest signal possible, and simpler, like my Zenith clock radio.

I’m sure it is obvious that I’m not an accomplished reviewer. I enjoy trying new gear and trying to give back to the community that has given me so much insight into this hobby. I continue to be a student of high-end audio.

-MichaeHiFi

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
Hi Michael,

looking at the Waversa website, I noticed two models:
EXT1 the smaller steel polished
EXT Reference the bigger aluminum finished

Can’t find the third model, called Plus.

Can you help me with some pic?

Is this filter in some way related to speed lan? My network must work at 100Mb/s speed, due to the presence in the path of the Innuos PhoenixNET (the reason why NA recommended me to avoid the Muon Filter that needs Giga speed). I suppose it only cleans the network from noise but spec details on the web are very rare.

thanks.

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
Hi Michael,

looking at the Waversa website, I noticed two models:
EXT1 the smaller steel polished
EXT Reference the bigger aluminum finished

Can’t find the third model, called Plus.

Can you help me with some pic?

Is this filter in some way related to speed lan? My network must work at 100Mb/s speed, due to the presence in the path of the Innuos PhoenixNET (the reason why NA recommended me to avoid the Muon Filter that needs Giga speed). I suppose it only cleans the network from noise but spec details on the web are very rare.

thanks.
Hi Luca,
I had the EXT1 reference and now using the EXT Reference Plus or '+'.

The filters(s) as I know them simply 'filter'. No power needed or wanted.

No thinking about a power cord or interconnects however, there's an optional internet cable that Waversa will provide at a cost.

Here are a few pics of the EXT Plus - if I can get them to post.
20230925_111244.jpg

Attachments

• 20230925_111259.jpg
    20230925_111259.jpg
    619.6 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: luca.pelliccioli

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
I have the chance to order a WLAN EXT--2, anyone here already compared it with the previous model EXT-1? Other than cosmetics I’m curious about improvements in SQ and main differences between EXT-1 and EXT-2.

Didn’t find much infos on the web about this new product and the official Waversa site seems to be incomplete, there aren’t both the EXT Reference Plus and the new EXT-2, quite odd being the manufacturer website.

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
First I've heard of the Muon Pro system.

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
Reactions: antigrunge

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
I have the chance to order a WLAN EXT--2, anyone here already compared it with the previous model EXT-1? Other than cosmetics I’m curious about improvements in SQ and main differences between EXT-1 and EXT-2.

Didn’t find much infos on the web about this new product and the official Waversa site seems to be incomplete, there aren’t both the EXT Reference Plus and the new EXT-2, quite odd being the manufacturer website.

The dealer, John Ketcham, said the EXT-2 has 3x the filtering of the EXT-1, so it should be better, not just a cosmetic chassis change.
The EXT-REF apparently had 10x the filtering of EXT-1, so the EXT-REF still has over 3x the filtering of the new EXT-2.

I am using 2 of the EXT-1 and they really are worthwhile. They took a few days to break in, but now I can not remove them.
At first I heard a large amount of extra detail but also a hardness, a wall of sound kind of extra harshness. This went away with some break in and then it was all positive.
The short connecting cable following the Waversa device needs to be high quality, as cables changes are even more exposed/magnified.

Last edited:

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016
The official Waversa website is being built out and the description reminds me of the Scoville Hot Pepper scale where EXT-1 equates to one:

EXT-1 = 1
EXT-2 = 5
EXT Referece = 10
EXT Refernce Plus = 100

I have these to compare. EXT-2 is certainly closer the EXT Referece than the EXT-2 is to EXT-1. My scaling is entirely subjective and system dependent. With this disclaimer, my rating skews more consesrvative than what is mentioned above. A high quality shielded ethernet cable is recommended between any EXT and your target device, othewise some of the benefit is lost. The LAN2 cable by Waversa was enginered to preserve the EXT benefit. There are a lot of well engineered cables out there, many were designed for industrial applications. I recommend trialing different EXT models in your budget. Asking your regional Waversa representitive for a comparison is reasonable. They are listed on www.waversa.com

While each home network is different, for N. American broadband the locations seemingly most impactful are just before your target device and second placement after the modem or modem/router combo. Two devices more impactful are LAN Etherent and HDMI (for video and I2s). Signficantly less so for USB (unless from a home office computer to a DAC) or SPDIF, all of which tend to be a cleaner signal.

Last edited:

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
Finally I purchased the Waversa EXT-2 and it is sounding really good, it brings a black background and more body to the table, the music is liquid and pleasant. Actually I’ve also the chance to compare it with the Muon Pro filter I’ve just received. It’s immediately audible a significant difference between the two devices. Within a week or two I should be able to determine which one better fits my likings in my system.

Last edited:

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
The Waversa EXT-2 is sounding really good, it brings a black background and body. I’ve also the chance to compare it with the Muon Pro filter I’ve just received. It’s immediately audible a significant difference between the two devices. Within a week or two I should be able to determine which one better fits my liking in my system.
Two weeks should work. As you can see, the manual suggests 120 hours before full break in, but in my setup 170 hours was the magic elapsed time. Just one point of data...

Reactions: jasond

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
Two weeks should work. As you can see, the manual suggests 120 hours before full break in, but in my setup 170 hours was the magic elapsed time. Just one point of data...
Are you referring to the Muon Pro or the EXT-2?

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
For me too Muon Pro was also about 150-200 hours which I didn’t expect but was really revealing
Agreed. I heard small improvements too between 170 and 200 hours. 150 was the point when it started to become interesting. Have you contacted Network Acoustics to tell them of your experience (I have not)? I haven't written a review yet, but will add this tidbit of information.

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
As per Rob from NA the Muon Pro sounds pretty good just right out of the box, without significant changes up and down during burning in process and it is well cooked to perform at its best at 120 hours.

If you are going to write a review I’d be interested in reading it.

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
As per Rob from NA the Muon Pro sounds pretty good just right out of the box, without significant changes up and down during burning in process and it is well cooked to perform at its best at 120 hours.

I wouldn't disagree with the designer himself, but we all hear differently, describe what we hear differently and have different setups. If I had to decide whether to keep the Muon Pro at 120 hours, I would probably have returned it and kept looking. For example, the Waversa has been on my radar for a while.

The review would simply explain my setup (as context) and that the Muon works well in front of the Grimm MU1. My setup uses an ISP-provided modem/router/wifi unit that does not accept an LPS and the in-wall copper ethernet is unshielded, therefore perhaps a worst case scenario. In addition, during the summers here short-term blackouts are common. This results in numerous reboots, which has discouraged me from using powered ethernet cleaners that require a power-up sequence.

And I would mention that in my setup, to my ears, the Muon Pro required 170 hours to sound natural/balanced and that small improvements were heard until about 200 hours (I'm glad someone else reported the same experience because I was wondering what was going on).

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC

I can assure you Rob is incorrect on this one. For the first week I had the Muon Pro? It was unlistenable to me. I had to keep popping my head in and giving things a quick listen to see where she was at...at that given moment in time. It was one of the most painful waits I had ever experienced with break in. Just to get to the "listenable" part. That wait took 8 days in my rig.

Fortunately, I had heard a standard Muon in another system, so I knew in advance what would happen.

@PYP, that was probably me who mentioned this. I too, would have returned it if I had to base the end result during the first 120 hours. There were so many ups and downs, I couldn't enjoy what it was I listened too. Now that it's past that point, it is worth every penny but make no mistake. It did NOT sound good out of the box. I can't possibly fathom why Rob would say that. At least based upon my own experience, at least.

My apologies to all for the off topic post.

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing