I just opened the Rhapsody Audio in Sausalito, Ca! My new journey with Alsyvox, Pilium, Taiko, Dieses and Esoteric

David Hyman

Oct 18, 2014
While in the process of escalating my personalized audio import business, I ventured to Munich in 2023 to scout for potential partners. Throughout my journey, I carried a demanding standard for quality, fortified by a rich history of personal owned interactions with a broad spectrum of world-renowned brands such as Magico, Raidho, Zellaton, and PMC, among others, alongside state-of-the-art electronics from Balabo, David Berning, Mola Mola, Ypsilon and more.

20230721_122523~3-EDIT.jpeg

Given the high-quality echelon at which I’ve been operating,, a significant number of presentations in Munich fell short of capturing my attention. Nevertheless, during my 25-year-long trail of show attendance, there have been sporadic moments where I have stumbled upon audio experiences that surpass my familiar acoustical territory.

This year, such an encounter materialized in an unprecedented magnitude within the Alsyvox room, complemented by Pilium and Taiko electronics. The auditory sensation overwhelmed previous impactful moments I'd experienced at earlier shows. I found myself locked in a spell of auditory awe. Surrounding me were familiar faces from the audio industry, comprising of journalists and rival importers, all equally astonished, unable to suppress their wide-eyed amazement.

Feeling compelled to further probe this newfound discovery, I embarked on a journey of extensive comparative listening over the next few days, juxtaposing Alsyvox against the creme de la creme of the world's loudspeakers. Whether it was the top of the line from brand X or Y, the audio prowess of Alsyvox consistently proved superior.

Admittedly, the Alsyvox Rafaello couldn't compete with the heavy-hitting prowess of the colossal Steinheims and Wilsons. Yet, what it lacked in force, it compensated for in an unparalleled level of transparency. I have owned top-tier models from Apogees and Analysis Audio, but their lower dynamics led me to part ways. In this context, Alsyvox speakers stand in stark contrast. Designer Daniele Coen dedicated two decades in addressing this issue and triumphantly emerged with an ingenious use of double-sided neodymium magnets, which allowed the bass panel membranes to exhibit linear movements of up to 20mm, a significant upgrade from the typical 2-3mm excursion seen in traditional planar speakers. This tenfold increase in movement, when extrapolated over the entirety of the bass panel, creates a unique auditory beast. The sheer clarity of the low bass was a first-time experience for me. Although the dynamics won't cause an airstream, for the first time, I perceived the nuances below 100hz with remarkable potency.

I felt an irresistible pull towards these speakers, and I knew I had to make them a part of my auditory arsenal. However, this burning desire posed a significant hurdle. Both Alsyvox and Pilium were imported by Bob at Rhapsody! Faced with the dilemma of choosing between what I could secure without representation and what I personally deemed the best, I felt compelled to seek a solution. Consequently, I broached a proposal to Bob, a familiar contact from a past purchase, to establish a joint showroom in California.

Fortunately, my longstanding journey and achievements in the audio industry struck a chord with Bob. To give you a brief account of my background, I have dedicated the past quarter-century towards pushing the envelope in the realm of audio and technology. In the year 2000, I co-founded Gracenote, a groundbreaking music metadata database and song identification technology, where I wore the CEO hat. This cornerstone to encoding revolutionized the way people could transfer music from their compact discs to their hard drives. Subsequently, I contributed to the creation of MOG, among the earliest cloud-based music subscription services, which later found a new home with Beats By Dre. Afterward, I oversaw Beats Music, a rebranded avatar of MOG, which was eventually integrated into Apple's ecosystem and exists today as Apple Music. Post this acquisition, I devoted myself to collaborating closely with Neil Young on Pono as the “interim CEO”, an initiative focused on addressing the issue of low-resolution audio for the masses. Parallel to these endeavors, I nurtured a lifelong passion for high-quality audio since the tender age of 13. I was fortunate enough to be influenced by my best friend's father who owned the leading audio store on Long Island, where I worked through my teenage years. This ceaseless pursuit of the elusive "absolute sound" has become the bedrock of my life's journey.

Fast forward to the present day, I find myself at the dawn of Rhapsody Audio California's first week! We are open and eager to host you for a personalized visit, available by appointment. Our approach deviates from the traditional audio store model - here, there's no judgment based on your current audio setup! There's no propagation of the notion that all other brands are worthless because they don't feature in our lineup. And it's perfectly fine if you visit without the intention to purchase. My deep-rooted passion for sharing my love for music and presenting the systems (my artworks) that I've meticulously crafted is what drives this endeavor.

What you'll see in the accompanying photographs is the Asyvox Caravaggio, a notch below the Raffaello, and aptly sized for this space. It additionally holds the distinction of being the only 4-way speaker in the range, featuring a dedicated midrange. For the time being, it's paired with a Pilium Odysseus Integrated, awaiting the arrival of Hercules Monoblocks and Alexander Preamp. Supplementing this setup is the Esoteric N-01XD (positioned atop the impressive Wellfloat Babel), soon to be complemented by the Taiko Extreme. Anticipate the addition of Well Float Delta Extremes as well. We're still in the initial stages, the setup isn't finely tuned yet, but it already surpasses previous setups I've had in many aspects.

20230721_122310.jpeg

In my home's lower level, we're assembling a fresh system featuring Diesis Aura and Odeon Helix loudspeakers, along with Esoteric Class A 30-watt integrated, Holbo Turntable, Ortofon Verismo, and Ypsilon step up. Not to mention, an array of exciting tube-based gear that I've been tinkering with.

More to come on this journey. I’ll share the gory details of what it’s been like getting this system dialed in and my auditory notes along the way.

20230721_122438.jpeg

20230718_154218.jpeg 20230718_162615-EDIT.jpeg 20230718_161541.jpeg

Attachments

• 20230718_162630(0)-EDIT.jpeg
    20230718_162630(0)-EDIT.jpeg
    820.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Lovely room!

Reactions: Hessec

Republicoftexas69

Nice.

Glide3

Nov 25, 2019
Great looking room and residing in the Bay Area I will hopefully look forward to a visit at some point

Joe Cohen

Industry Expert
Jun 10, 2012
While in the process of escalating my personalized audio import business, I ventured to Munich in 2023 to scout for potential partners. Throughout my journey, I carried a demanding standard for quality, fortified by a rich history of personal owned interactions with a broad spectrum of world-renowned brands such as Magico, Raidho, Zellaton, and PMC, among others, alongside state-of-the-art electronics from Balabo, David Berning, Mola Mola, Ypsilon and more.

View attachment 113570

Given the high-quality echelon at which I’ve been operating,, a significant number of presentations in Munich fell short of capturing my attention. Nevertheless, during my 25-year-long trail of show attendance, there have been sporadic moments where I have stumbled upon audio experiences that surpass my familiar acoustical territory.

This year, such an encounter materialized in an unprecedented magnitude within the Alsyvox room, complemented by Pilium and Taiko electronics. The auditory sensation overwhelmed previous impactful moments I'd experienced at earlier shows. I found myself locked in a spell of auditory awe. Surrounding me were familiar faces from the audio industry, comprising of journalists and rival importers, all equally astonished, unable to suppress their wide-eyed amazement.

Feeling compelled to further probe this newfound discovery, I embarked on a journey of extensive comparative listening over the next few days, juxtaposing Alsyvox against the creme de la creme of the world's loudspeakers. Whether it was the top of the line from brand X or Y, the audio prowess of Alsyvox consistently proved superior.

Admittedly, the Alsyvox Rafaello couldn't compete with the heavy-hitting prowess of the colossal Steinheims and Wilsons. Yet, what it lacked in force, it compensated for in an unparalleled level of transparency. I have owned top-tier models from Apogees and Analysis Audio, but their lower dynamics led me to part ways. In this context, Alsyvox speakers stand in stark contrast. Designer Daniele Coen dedicated two decades in addressing this issue and triumphantly emerged with an ingenious use of double-sided neodymium magnets, which allowed the bass panel membranes to exhibit linear movements of up to 20mm, a significant upgrade from the typical 2-3mm excursion seen in traditional planar speakers. This tenfold increase in movement, when extrapolated over the entirety of the bass panel, creates a unique auditory beast. The sheer clarity of the low bass was a first-time experience for me. Although the dynamics won't cause an airstream, for the first time, I perceived the nuances below 100hz with remarkable potency.

I felt an irresistible pull towards these speakers, and I knew I had to make them a part of my auditory arsenal. However, this burning desire posed a significant hurdle. Both Alsyvox and Pilium were imported by Bob at Rhapsody! Faced with the dilemma of choosing between what I could secure without representation and what I personally deemed the best, I felt compelled to seek a solution. Consequently, I broached a proposal to Bob, a familiar contact from a past purchase, to establish a joint showroom in California.

Fortunately, my longstanding journey and achievements in the audio industry struck a chord with Bob. To give you a brief account of my background, I have dedicated the past quarter-century towards pushing the envelope in the realm of audio and technology. In the year 2000, I co-founded Gracenote, a groundbreaking music metadata database and song identification technology, where I wore the CEO hat. This cornerstone to encoding revolutionized the way people could transfer music from their compact discs to their hard drives. Subsequently, I contributed to the creation of MOG, among the earliest cloud-based music subscription services, which later found a new home with Beats By Dre. Afterward, I oversaw Beats Music, a rebranded avatar of MOG, which was eventually integrated into Apple's ecosystem and exists today as Apple Music. Post this acquisition, I devoted myself to collaborating closely with Neil Young on Pono as the “interim CEO”, an initiative focused on addressing the issue of low-resolution audio for the masses. Parallel to these endeavors, I nurtured a lifelong passion for high-quality audio since the tender age of 13. I was fortunate enough to be influenced by my best friend's father who owned the leading audio store on Long Island, where I worked through my teenage years. This ceaseless pursuit of the elusive "absolute sound" has become the bedrock of my life's journey.

Fast forward to the present day, I find myself at the dawn of Rhapsody Audio California's first week! We are open and eager to host you for a personalized visit, available by appointment. Our approach deviates from the traditional audio store model - here, there's no judgment based on your current audio setup! There's no propagation of the notion that all other brands are worthless because they don't feature in our lineup. And it's perfectly fine if you visit without the intention to purchase. My deep-rooted passion for sharing my love for music and presenting the systems (my artworks) that I've meticulously crafted is what drives this endeavor.

What you'll see in the accompanying photographs is the Asyvox Caravaggio, a notch below the Raffaello, and aptly sized for this space. It additionally holds the distinction of being the only 4-way speaker in the range, featuring a dedicated midrange. For the time being, it's paired with a Pilium Odysseus Integrated, awaiting the arrival of Hercules Monoblocks and Alexander Preamp. Supplementing this setup is the Esoteric N-01XD (positioned atop the impressive Wellfloat Babel), soon to be complemented by the Taiko Extreme. Anticipate the addition of Well Float Delta Extremes as well. We're still in the initial stages, the setup isn't finely tuned yet, but it already surpasses previous setups I've had in many aspects.

View attachment 113571

In my home's lower level, we're assembling a fresh system featuring Diesis Aura and Odeon Helix loudspeakers, along with Esoteric Class A 30-watt integrated, Holbo Turntable, Ortofon Verismo, and Ypsilon step up. Not to mention, an array of exciting tube-based gear that I've been tinkering with.

More to come on this journey. I’ll share the gory details of what it’s been like getting this system dialed in and my auditory notes along the way.

View attachment 113572

View attachment 113562 View attachment 113568 View attachment 113567
Congratulations, David. I’d love to come by for a listen.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Welcome David to Team Rhapsody!

I particularly appreciate your comments regarding having listeners come to visit… I believe your philosophy is echoed by each of us who has a Rhapsody showroom. There is no pressure, there is no commenting regarding other brands’ offerings, there is no judgment. Just the joy of sharing what each of us has found to be very magical components that paired together are capable of getting the listener closer to the artists intent.

A crucial limitation in each audiophiles’ journey is exposure to different equipment. If you have been locked in geographically to a particular area, and have only visited brick and mortar stores in that area, you can be constrained to only a few brands. It is entirely possible to build a satisfying system that way, but only in hearing new components are we able to expand our understanding of whats possible -- and this can lead to much deeper enjoyment and satisfaction with our systems.

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
Hi David, I really enjoyed the recent visit you hosted for the San Francisco Audiophile Foundation. I am looking forward to hearing the new system, and also the Holbo turntable.

David Hyman

Oct 18, 2014
Hi David, I really enjoyed the recent visit you hosted for the San Francisco Audiophile Foundation. I am looking forward to hearing the new system, and also the Holbo turntable.
Great!

David Hyman

Oct 18, 2014
Welcome David to Team Rhapsody!

I particularly appreciate your comments regarding having listeners come to visit… I believe your philosophy is echoed by each of us who has a Rhapsody showroom. There is no pressure, there is no commenting regarding other brands’ offerings, there is no judgment. Just the joy of sharing what each of us has found to be very magical components that paired together are capable of getting the listener closer to the artists intent.

A crucial limitation in each audiophiles’ journey is exposure to different equipment. If you have been locked in geographically to a particular area, and have only visited brick and mortar stores in that area, you can be constrained to only a few brands. It is entirely possible to build a satisfying system that way, but only in hearing new components are we able to expand our understanding of whats possible -- and this can lead to much deeper enjoyment and satisfaction with our systems.
Here Here!

caesar

May 30, 2010
Welcome!

And it is fair to say that probably anyone who has experienced digital audio - streaming, ripping, listening in a car, etc., owes you a HUGE DEBT of GRATITUDE for making people's lives better.

Best of luck!

Reactions: David Hyman

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Congratulations. That is a beautiful environment to listen to music in.

Reactions: David Hyman

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing