Audio-Technica VM540ML shakes

misiekzdzisiek

May 2, 2019
Hello all.
Gentlemen, beautiful ladies, please help me.
I bought a new Pro-ject Debut SB S-Shape turntable.
In addition, the VM-540ML insert.
Today I had a moment to put it all together.
Previously I had an Ortofon 2m Red insert, on another turntable.
On the new one I fired an insert from the set for 5min (Ortofon 2m Silver) - it looked identical to the RED during operation.
However, after AT insertion and heashell, somehow they are more shaky, as if the suspension of the insert was different and carried more vibrations. This is especially visible at the beginning of the album. As if the vibrations were gentle from side to side.
Here is the link to the movie how it looks:
https://megawrzuta.pl/download/a0913ecb317bbb8432f39696370f2bb5.html
Is it normal?
I would like to add that I carry out the calibration very carefully, I use the electronic balance, the calibration template / template. Distances / angles preserved. Everything seems to be right. Recommended load 2g. I even added a weight from the turntable set so that the needle would be at the same height as the orthophone.
Please, help, I've never had this class of insert.
Effective arm weight: 16g, the weight of the insert 6.4g + 1g per plate. Altogether about 24, so we are in the field about the correct insertion of the arm ...
Musically / qualitatively I am VERY happy with it.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
low mass arm & supplied with a med/high compliance cartridgel
Designed exclusively for Pro-Ject Audio Systems, the Pick-IT 25 A is a moving-magnet cartridge based on the popular Ortofon OM series, but it employs highly conductive silver spools in the generator system for a superior sound performance. The result of the combination is a very harmonic and warm, audiophile sound.

misiekzdzisiek

May 2, 2019
Project made a mistake in the specs.
Valid parameters:
Effective arm weight:7,5g
Effective arm length: 8,6" (218,5mm)

VM540ML:
Weight: 6.4 g
Static compliance: 40 × 10-6 cm/dyne
Dynamic compliance: 10 × 10-6 cm/dyne (100 Hz)

The resonance comes out at 10.983 Hz, so it's good.

The cartridge that was included with this turntable is the Ortofon 2M Silver

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing