Gryphon Audio Announces First Turntable With Helmut Brinkmann!

From what I can see on the pictures I wouldn't prefer this table to an original Brinkmann one.
The motor configuration doesn't make sense to me.
Please share.

Well, I expected this level of negativity on FB, X, but not here, especially when not one of you has seen or heard this table. I think we're all getting old, some become close - minded, some continue to embrace change. It is what it is...

I’m sure it does but I’ve never been an admirer of Acoustics Signature.
Well that seals the deal for me. Thanks for your opinion.

Reactions: mtemur
The TT sounded good..
Gryphon always develops something musical .
I listened to to the demo and the TT / tone arm presentation.
From what i understood Gryphon developed the brinkmann design further to their own spec

Last edited:
Lots of noise potential and assume all motors run at exactly the same speed...big assumptions I think. I remember my 3 motor Voyd. it was dynamic as hell but noisy, which made things sound a bit "dirty".
Oh, Acoustic Signature has come up with something: active phase shift (AVC anti vibration controll) in real time to compensate for any differences in motors. I think that will work very well.

Reactions: Johan K
Me not like the design… It may sound great but wouldn’t buy it, due to the looks - I don’t like it. To me it looks more like something you can process hay - and get flour out on the other side… sorry to say !

/ Jk
I like the old school stuff from Brinkmann more. Synchron turntable with the two movable arm bases. Was a milestone in the eighties, today I would buy it a better motor control and listen to records with it until the end of my life (88 lbs pure metal)8369059415_0_g.jpg
f836d545-e582-4db3-a59a-de337e636811.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Johan K
Please share.
With this 90-degrees motor configuration you have a lateral force on the bearing into the middle between both motors.
IMO, not a good solution.

Last edited:
Well, I expected this level of negativity on FB, X, but not here, especially when not one of you has seen or heard this table. I think we're all getting old, some become close - minded, some continue to embrace change. It is what it is...
And some of us recognize a placeholder when we see one ! ;) Now Gryphon can sell a complete analog system with their logo on it. Not very different from Mcintosh selling a Clearaudio TT with their logo on it. I get the motivation, just don't expect me to get excited !:rolleyes:

And some of us recognize a placeholder when we see one ! ;) Now Gryphon can sell a complete analog system with their logo on it. Not very different from Mcintosh selling a Clearaudio TT with their logo on it. I get the motivation, just don't expect me to get excited !:rolleyes:
At least it’s not simply a rebadged Balance…it is 5x more expensive than a balance…

If they sell 5 they pay for their consultancy fees and tooling. If they sell 10 they make money.

Most of the 5 will be covered in distributor booking requirements.

Reactions: Argonaut
Think I must be watching too much Star Wars. If they'd gone for a gloss black and red combination it would look perfect on an imperial Star Destroyer

I'm afraid I have not listened to it. If it makes its way over to Nintronics in Welwyn Garden, I will certainly make a trip. From what I have heard from the boys, Gryphon did an outstanding job setting up the room, and the system sounded incredible. It's not an easy achievement at any show. For now, I will stick with my humble Bergmann, but Kudos to Gryphon for taking the plunge into analogue.

IMG_3465-e1715462228724.jpg

Last edited:
Here is Analog Planet's recasting of the press release:

With a turntable named 'Apollo' I am surprised they named the phono stage 'Siren'. What happened to Athena, Aphrodite, Demeter or Circe Lannister?
Should be named Sisyphus as that is who you will feel like after shelling out 150k.

There must be a business case for so many manufacturers releasing huge, > $/€/£100k turntables, but I am struggling to understand the extent of the market for such things.

At least this Gryphon appears not to require a forklift truck for installation, which is a plus. I'm sure it sounds great.

I was there when gryphon people played it for Mr. Fremer. Sonically it’s good, really good. However after knowing the price tag, it’s difficult to convince me. These are my wonders,

1, I could just get Brinkmann Balance / tonearms, how far is that comparing this one
2, the two motor strings from both sides are really annoying me, if they can somehow hide them in the design, it will look perfect to me, coz I like traditional plinth style turntable.
3, the cartridge is basically pumped up otorfon diamond, but more than double the price, I still wonder how much better it compares to diamond, or just different.
I’d just be surprised if Helmut Brinkmann is going to design a better turntable for someone else than he can manage for himself… if it’s not already then going forwards you’d imagine his very best work will likely ultimately be on a turntable that will be bearing his own name.

Should be named Sisyphus as that is who you will feel like after shelling out 150k.
The prices today will make Mike and Tang sound like low budget audiophiles on their analog journey.

I’d just be surprised if Helmut Brinkmann is going to design a better turntable for someone else than he can manage for himself… if it’s not already then going forwards you’d imagine his very best work will likely ultimately be on a turntable that will be bearing his own name.

contract turntable -- having no analog cachet themselves, they wanted the name.

Reactions: the sound of Tao
Maybe he is too humble to play that game...so he plays it for Gryphon who have been in the uber space for their whole existence.

heh.

keep shelling ...
In all seriousness though, I quite like the look, although I do find it a tad over-priced. If it was 40-50k I think it would be quite popular but may be I'm not keeping up with the latest prices.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing